Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 305573 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Russian intervention in Ukraine
« Reply #1470 on: March 02, 2014, 06:45:29 pm »

If we keep the Sudetenland analogy, the problem is not a war now, but an emboldened Putin doing the some thing again, probably in the Baltic state.
Its simple, we kill the Putin!

Actually in all seriousness is there any prediction on what would happen if Putin was assassinated? I'm guessing Russia would be pissed the fuck off and shit would escalate even quicker.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: March 02, 2014, 06:46:27 pm »

My point is more "The parallels to World War Two are concerning and I hope they're meaningless so could you please prove my fears wrong?"
Your fears are wrong because the West is not going to intervene militarily.
The West not intervening might well be the worst case scenario, if you ignore nonsensical scenarios like Putin nuking the Ukraine.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: March 02, 2014, 06:47:44 pm »

If we keep the Sudetenland analogy, the problem is not a war now, but an emboldened Putin doing the some thing again, probably in the Baltic state.
Forget the Sudetenland analogy, that was a different world back then.
The Baltic states are in the NATO. He's not gonna do that because he cannot win against NATO, due to the nuclear stand-off that would cause.
Ukraine is not in the NATO which unfortunately means that they are on their own in this as far as military help is concerned.

The West not intervening might well be the worst case scenario, if you ignore nonsensical scenarios like Putin nuking the Ukraine.
The West intervening is a nonsensical scenario too.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: March 02, 2014, 06:48:58 pm »

He might make the bet that NATO won't fight back in say, Lithuania.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: March 02, 2014, 06:49:29 pm »

Its simple, we kill the Putin!

Actually in all seriousness is there any prediction on what would happen if Putin was assassinated? I'm guessing Russia would be pissed the fuck off and shit would escalate even quicker.
Doubt it, after a short internal struggle Russia will stabilize. Much larger Soviet Union had zero problems after Stalin's death
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: March 02, 2014, 06:50:21 pm »

Your fears are wrong because the West is not going to intervene militarily. Worst case scenario is Crimea becoming a part or a satellite of Russia and a civil war in Ukraine, possibly resulting in a break-up. Still I have my doubts how far Putin really wants to risk escalation, he needs Ukraine for his Eurasian Union project.
Escalation is why he is doing this. Eat or puppet Crimea, reinstall Yanukovych as a puppet over the rest of Ukraine, bring both into the EAU next year, hail Overlord Putin.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: March 02, 2014, 06:51:59 pm »

No, he will go directly for USA  :D
In all seriously, the max thing russia can do now is to try take the other easter cities that have pro russian population in it. But more than that will not happen.
Make love not war

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: March 02, 2014, 06:53:48 pm »

NATO is legally required to defend it's members. That's why we all went to adventure in Afghanistan, remember? Non-members and non-attack scenarios are something else, that's why not all of us went to adventure in Iraq.
If he stages something that can be interpreted as an attack on a NATO member, all hell breaks loose, so he is not going to. We can say against Putin what we want, but he is not an idiot or a fanatic.

Escalation is why he is doing this. Eat or puppet Crimea, reinstall Yanukovych as a puppet over the rest of Ukraine, bring both into the EAU next year, hail Overlord Putin.
Yanuk is out I'd say. Escalation, yes, but to what degree I wonder? He doesn't want a country that is torn apart by civil war or hates him for the most part, he wants a friendly regime in Ukraine for his EAU. He doesn't get that with war.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: March 02, 2014, 06:56:15 pm »

I have to say I find it highly amusing how all the russian troops in Ukraine are all wearing masks and just going around silently. Reminds me of some random hapless mooks waiting for an all-american sledgehammer-chinned action hero to show up and gun them down.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #1479 on: March 02, 2014, 07:06:11 pm »

Lol

Also,
NATO is legally required to defend it's members. That's why we all went to adventure in Afghanistan, remember? Non-members and non-attack scenarios are something else, that's why not all of us went to adventure in Iraq.
If he stages something that can be interpreted as an attack on a NATO member, all hell breaks loose, so he is not going to. We can say against Putin what we want, but he is not an idiot or a fanatic.

Yanuk is out I'd say. Escalation, yes, but to what degree I wonder? He doesn't want a country that is torn apart by civil war or hates him for the most part, he wants a friendly regime in Ukraine for his EAU. He doesn't get that with war.
This guy's got good stuff to say.

So, howabout russia agrees to some talks after this brinksmanship, pulls out of crimea on conditions, and in a roundabout way winds up trying to stabilize Ukraine to get a more favorable government & view out of it?
The civil war thing wouldn't help unless they go to take over the joint.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 07:11:14 pm by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: March 02, 2014, 07:09:39 pm »

So, that guy demonstrated a label with his name and rank. But that's not the most funny part. He is found in a social network with further info about his unit :D

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #1481 on: March 02, 2014, 07:12:51 pm »

Someone's getting sacked.

Also, huh, he's younger than I.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: March 02, 2014, 07:14:54 pm »

Also, huh, he's younger than I.
I noticed that... he's about 9 months younger than I am in fact... Which is a pretty weird thought, though dealing with adults younger than me is something I suppose I should be getting used to by now.

I'm getting old.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #1483 on: March 02, 2014, 07:16:56 pm »

ikr?
Badges of honor

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: March 02, 2014, 07:18:02 pm »

Someone's getting sacked.
But he is a star now.  3500+ comments is not something an average guy gets
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 286