Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 305578 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Russian intervention in Ukraine
« Reply #1425 on: March 02, 2014, 03:59:44 pm »

And while we're at that, the USSR  did not suppress Ukraine specifically, despite what a few revisionists might say. It suppressed any and all nationalism within its borders, because nationalism makes empires fall apart.
Which makes the Ukranians feel better, how?

Xaxaxaxaxa
I'd comment, but I suspect I'm missing the punchline.

There can be no Soviet nationalism because the Soviet Union was not a nation. Fanaticism, maybe, but not nationalism. The Union was united by communist ideology first, and Russian culture (whatever that was after our Civil War) second.
1. How are you defining "nation," then?
2. Does it matter? You're basically saying that if the USSR was a nation, they would be nationalist.

Why are the far-right radicals refusing to disarm, then, even after a direct order from the new government?
I think we need to review the definitions of "far" and "radical"...

First confirmed defection - commander of Ukrainian Navy switched sides, no info on how officers under his command reacted on that...
"Rear Admiral Denys Berezovsky was only made head of the navy on Saturday, as the government in Kiev reacted to the threat of Russian invasion."
They may have reacted...poorly.

When the commander of your entire Navy defects, it's a... rather telling event, I think.
No one followed his orders. We got new commander. That one will face tribunal or live in Russia. No problem.
In theory, yes. In practice...well, let's see hwo the navy reacts and how the whole invasioney thing ends up.

If you haven't noticed we are getting ready for defending against a full scale invasion. And having guerrillas is essential because we have no good army to stop Russian war machine in conventional warfare
It's not ideal circumstances by any means. Not much cover in the countryside[citation needed], not much time to train, and the enemy troops are experienced with your best defenses. General Winter applies as much to the Russians as the Ukranians...

a positive kind of (...) nationalism
That's a thing now?
Owlbread talks a lot about founding a kind of civic nationalism that focuses on the self-improvement of a nation rather than the plain assertion of its superiority.
That would be nice.

Edit: and today your chief commander of fleet swore to serve to Crimean people and ordered all your navy to do the same or sign out, by the way. Freshest.
And what power does he have to enforce this?

And people stopped talking to me, not the guy who fantasize about killing russians. next thing you guys do is justify it by calling him a brave freedom fighter.
Russia did just kind of invade his country with the probable intent of permanently taking a chunk out of it, and probably undoing the successes of the recent protests/revolution in the rest. I'm not saying fantasizing about killing people in warfare is right, but I understand where he's coming from.
The justification begins.
The refusing to actually have a conversation and condemning the rest of you begins.
We made it almost a hundred pages. That's better than most corners of the Internet would have gotten.

I know don't have much voice here as it is not my country that is facing the crisis, but I think the amount of hostility in this thread is really rising to dangerous limits.
Hostility? In a thread about politics, in a situation where one of the concerned nations is invading the other?
Shocker!

But yeah. If this gets shut down, where will I snark about people's reactions to the invasion while being secretly concerned and wondering if this will become the next big disaster?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: March 02, 2014, 04:03:10 pm »

[sarcasm]Wow, a man from russian government revealed himself and all our plans[/sarcasm]
You sound like a man concerned that there is a totally white side and totally black. And you put Russia to the black one. Ethnical and political leansings are serious accusations.

It sure doesn't look like this will end very well for any non-Putinite Crimeans of any stripe, but I will gladly hope that I'm proven wrong. It's a tad worrying to see this happen, and you'd be the first to agree if this were the USA/China/South Africa/France/Luxembourg attempting something similar on a bordering nation amidst a national revolution.  :-\
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: March 02, 2014, 04:04:36 pm »

According to this very forum, Luxembourg taking over the world is a fairly realistic situation, mostly because everybody'd be too busy going wtf to react.

Also, I'd probably be doing stuff.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: March 02, 2014, 04:09:36 pm »

So, would anyone be able to offer first hand confirmation or contradiction of the BBC report that people in Russia are reacting in a very negative manner to the current shenanigans?
This is a blank sig.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: March 02, 2014, 04:10:33 pm »

Second hand maybe, but I want to keep family and politics separate.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: March 02, 2014, 04:13:54 pm »

So I hear the head of Ukraines navy has defected over to Russia. Any word on that?

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: March 02, 2014, 04:14:38 pm »

So, would anyone be able to offer first hand confirmation or contradiction of the BBC report that people in Russia are reacting in a very negative manner to the current shenanigans?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5qMfZ9RE7A
Make love not war

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: March 02, 2014, 04:16:41 pm »

So I hear the head of Ukraines navy has defected over to Russia. Any word on that?
... go back a few pages. UR said the head is all that defected, iirc, that crew and whatnot didn't go with him. Russian media says... whatever russian media says. Haven't really been clicking on news links *shrugs*
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: March 02, 2014, 04:17:44 pm »

We've only been discussing it for the last 3 pages. It's still unclear to what extent the defection is. If it's just the admiral, or if it's most of the navy.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: March 02, 2014, 04:18:57 pm »

Quote from: GWG
And what power does he have to enforce this?
Well, his is physically in Crimea, but you are right, he has no power to enforce this. He gave his order not to raise weapons, and suggested all the officers and sailors to swear an oath to Crimean people, but he cannot enforce that. It is up to sailors and officers.

Mictlantecuhtli
, relieved to see you are not concerned about it. Naturally, the time will show whether you are right or wrong.

I live in Moscow, and we had about 300-400 people who protested against of what is going on. And no less than 20000 for what is going on.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: March 02, 2014, 04:26:57 pm »

I live in Moscow, and we had about 300-400 people who protested against of what is going on. And no less than 20000 for what is going on.

I can find videos about 300 people protesting against russia invasion, but I can not find any videos about 20 000 people (or any) supporting it
Make love not war

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: March 02, 2014, 04:32:12 pm »

I just checked my statement about 20000 people and found out it that they were not all protesting in Moskow, but in various places in Russia. St. Petersburg, for instance.

Edit: I'm off for today, have an important lecture tomorrow at morning. Err, today in 7,5 hours. Have to sleep at least 6 of those.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 04:35:35 pm by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: March 02, 2014, 04:34:15 pm »

Guys, I want to say something.

This thread will get locked if this whole animosity continues to build up. I see that quite a lot of people around here, especially Ukrainian Ranger (obviously and justifiably) and Mictlantecuhtli (rather weirdly, did Russians kill your ancestors or something?) are mad at what Lord Lyndhurst, the Lord High Chancellor of Great Britain in his speech to the House of Lords in 1853 called "the barbarous nation" and "the enemy of all progress". But, if we don't want Toady One to intervene and lock the thread, we really should tone down the vitriol.

EDIT:

I can find videos about 300 people protesting against russia invasion, but I can not find any videos about 20 000 people (or any) supporting it

Totalitarian RT to the rescue.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: March 02, 2014, 04:35:22 pm »

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: March 02, 2014, 04:37:57 pm »

Guys, I want to say something.

This thread will get locked if this whole animosity continues to build up. I see that quite a lot of people around here, especially Ukrainian Ranger (obviously and justifiably) and Mictlantecuhtli (rather weirdly, did Russians kill your ancestors or something?) are mad at what Lord Lyndhurst, the Lord High Chancellor of Great Britain in his speech to the House of Lords in 1853 called "the barbarous nation" and "the enemy of all progress". But, if we don't want Toady One to intervene and lock the thread, we really should tone down the vitriol.

I'll just have to remember your stances on illegally occupying and removing governments next time something like this happens. Not trying to spread 'vitriol'; I'm saying this is highly illegal and will likely lead to terrible repercussions for non-Putin-adorers of Crimea. There's a bit of a precedent for that, mate.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 286