Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 305902 times)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Russian intervention in Ukraine
« Reply #1290 on: March 02, 2014, 06:20:55 am »

Also, nobody cares any more if he gets back or not.
Is Russian Ambassador in UN nobody?
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: March 02, 2014, 06:28:13 am »

Also, nobody cares any more if he gets back or not.
Is Russian Ambassador in UN nobody?
Actually, yup. He is required to make offended noises at the UN, but the focus of the situation has shifted already.

My point is that if anybody in Russia or Crimea preferred the Proffesor to Poxface, it's just because one prefers a small crock of shit to a large bucket of shit. The nature of the vessel's contents does not change.

Also, somebody's nitpicking.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: March 02, 2014, 06:32:02 am »

Actually everyone one was expecting Russia to go on to Tbilisi and topple Saakashvili. After all, they got to Gori, why stop there? I should go and ask my dad exactly why he stopped, but strong diplomatic intervention by NATO guys did stop some shit (like that time a company of Russian army disappeared after stealing Georgian uniforms, and Sarkozy got on the phone with Putin).

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: March 02, 2014, 06:33:55 am »

Actually everyone one was expecting Russia to go on to Tbilisi and topple Saakashvili. After all, they got to Gori, why stop there? I should go and ask my dad exactly why he stopped

... your father is VLADIMIR PUTIN?!?!
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: March 02, 2014, 06:35:10 am »

(like that time a company of Russian army disappeared after stealing Georgian uniforms, and Sarkozy got on the phone with Putin).
I must know more. :o

Seriously, I haven't heard about this before. What was the deal?
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: March 02, 2014, 06:36:02 am »

Actually everyone one was expecting Russia to go on to Tbilisi and topple Saakashvili. After all, they got to Gori, why stop there? I should go and ask my dad exactly why he stopped

... your father is VLADIMIR PUTIN?!?!
Fool, the Czar is celibate! He loves only his dog Kony!

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: March 02, 2014, 06:44:29 am »

The most I can see EU doing about this whole situation is annexing Serbia just to spite Russia.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: March 02, 2014, 06:46:08 am »

Quote from: Ukraine's acting Prime Minister Arseniy Yatsenyuk

"This is actually a declaration of war to my country. We urge Putin to pull back his troops from this country and honour bilateral agreements. If he wants to be the president who started the war between two neighbouring and friendly countries, he has reached his target within a few inches."
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: March 02, 2014, 06:51:47 am »

So this is it.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: March 02, 2014, 06:53:49 am »

Quote from: Ukraine's acting Prime Minister Arseniy Yatsenyuk

"This is actually a declaration of war to my country. We urge Putin to pull back his troops from this country and honour bilateral agreements. If he wants to be the president who started the war between two neighbouring and friendly countries, he has reached his target within a few inches."

Well fuck.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: March 02, 2014, 07:00:50 am »

The he referred to Putin, not my dad. Avis: not surprising as nothing happened in the end. Of course, everything is hazy (fog of war you know, and it was 6 years ago so I don't remember it all), but basically during the invasion the Russian took over a number of Georgian army base, and in one of them a Russian units (don't remember exactly the size) complete with enough supply trucks to operate autonomously for days suddenly disappeared after going to one of those base, when they were weird reports of Georgian soldiers where they weren't supposed to be any.

Of course, all of this scream "false flag". At that point the French ambassador (who was really supportive) phoned Sarkozy, who phoned Putin telling him he knew, and the troops reappeared.

Now, I'm aware that I don't have sources, so feel free not to believe me, but something similar would be possible in Crimea (after all the Russians did take over Ukrainian Army bases, right?) and that's the kind of stuff that firm diplomacy can avert.

Also, this must be the first time in history that a country waited for a couple of days for the enemy to really get into place before mobilizing and saying "Hey, this is war you know!".

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: March 02, 2014, 07:02:15 am »

I sincerely hope that the Ukrainians won't start the war, but if they do, then may God grant them victory and help them defend their homeland.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: March 02, 2014, 07:10:31 am »

Anti-war protests are happening, including in Moscow.

This might turn out to be a massive shot in the foot for Putin; his popularity had been declining slowly but steadily for years, and while recent protests against Putin were political, now there's the added factor of 'We don't want to die in a nuclear fire/war you dumbass'
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: March 02, 2014, 07:11:57 am »

This might turn out to be a massive shot in the foot for Putin; his popularity had been declining slowly but steadily for years, and while recent protests against Putin were political, now there's the added factor of 'We don't want to die in a nuclear fire/war you dumbass'
Yup, most russians don't want to fight. Crazy, I know.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: March 02, 2014, 07:14:20 am »

-snip-

Well, could have happened, though the Georgians did enough before the war was declared that false flag operations would not be required. But whatever, I'm not an expert on military tactics.

I sincerely hope that the Ukrainians won't start the war, but if they do, then may God grant them victory and help them defend their homeland.
Very prudent and flowery of you. I also think they can defend their homeland all they like - as long as it does not include my father's homeland.
And I sincerely hope nobody starts the war. It won't go well for nobody, considering the state of relations between Russia and the rest of the world, as well as the state of the Ukrainian military.

Pro-war ones are also happening. Putin generally rides out on being polarizing. I don't think this is actually going to change anything for his reputation. But that's just my observations.
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 286