Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 305892 times)

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
Re: Russian intervention in Ukraine
« Reply #1275 on: March 01, 2014, 10:24:11 pm »

To be fair, what happened in Chechnya was more like the government completely abandoning it de facto and letting various extremist and criminal groups run it for about three eyears, but I may be wrong.

Honestly, why can't Putin just fucking die already and take the autocratic USSR remnants with him?

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: March 01, 2014, 10:27:08 pm »

To be fair, what happened in Chechnya was more like the government completely abandoning it de facto and letting various extremist and criminal groups run it for about three eyears, but I may be wrong.

Well, that's how it started, with the Independent Republic, but that only lasted until about 2003.  The next four years were the Russian airforce bombing every structure left standing in the state until there was nothing moving in the rubble, then sending in the Gazprom engineers and the ex-ex-ex-president's son to run Grozny like a private palace.

Dagestan and Ossetia and such were less overt about the peace-through-carpet-bombing, but you get the idea.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: March 01, 2014, 10:30:55 pm »

Well, that's how it started, with the Independent Republic, but that only lasted until about 2003.  The next four years were the Russian airforce bombing every structure left standing in the state until there was nothing moving in the rubble, then sending in the Gazprom engineers and the ex-ex-ex-president's son to run Grozny like a private palace.

Dagestan and Ossetia and such were less overt about the peace-through-carpet-bombing, but you get the idea.

What part of Russia isn't run by one of Putin's cronies like his private palace? You should also check out Kadyrov's instagram, it's pure propaganda but totally hilarious.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 11:08:24 pm by Knit tie »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 01:40:10 am by Sergarr »
._.

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: March 02, 2014, 03:27:41 am »

Well shit. Looks like theres gonna be a landwar in Asia/Eastern Europe.
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: March 02, 2014, 03:31:24 am »

Russia can't take on the world, and I don't seem them having many powerful allies at this point...

Kicior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: March 02, 2014, 04:13:11 am »

Russia can't take on the world, and I don't seem them having many powerful allies at this point...
Does Ukraine have any allies at this point?

The EU is so utterly feckless it makes me want to cheer for Putin.  Putin's the only one showing any leadership or even competence.
The thing about the EU is, that reaction to every attempt to centralize power is HURR DURR CENTRALIZED EU WILL BE GERMAN/FRENCH PUPPET AND WE WILL LOOSE OUR INDEPENDENCE!
When the EU can't do jack shit everyone is like OMG EU U SUCK Y AREN'T YOU INTERVENING!
Not that I am a big fan of the EU but I think that people should make up their minds.
and slippedy sloppidy doo everything is made of fuck

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #1282 on: March 02, 2014, 04:17:28 am »

Interesting, if short, video about some seemingly more extreme elements of recent revolution.

As it has already been said in this thread, it is up to each person to decide which "side" they trust. But I think this particular video maintains a decent, neutral position.

Does Ukraine have any allies at this point?
Well, apparently they did ask NATO for help recently...we'll see how that turns out.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #1283 on: March 02, 2014, 05:03:58 am »

Well, latest news is stuff's continuing to heat up eh?

That's depressing 'news' about the far right. (I just learned it)
Wonder how that'll shape up as the armed forces assemble in the east(ish).
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: March 02, 2014, 05:05:34 am »

Well, apparently they did ask NATO for help recently...we'll see how that turns out.
Am I the only one getting a feeling of deja vu out of this?

To put it in another way:  Saakashvili did the same and it did not help him one damn bit.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: March 02, 2014, 05:10:54 am »

To put it in another way:  Saakashvili did the same and it did not help him one damn bit.
I'd not be that sure. No one of us knows what happened behind curtains and what initial plans of Russian aggression were. Maybe only firm position of NATO stopped total conquest of Georgia back in 2008
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: March 02, 2014, 05:19:25 am »

You know what is the most popular quote in Russia describing current relationships of Ukraine and Europe?

Quote from: Nikolai Gogol, "Taras Bulba"
- Ну шо, сынку, помогли тебе твои ляхи?
( - Where are your polish helpers now, son?)
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: March 02, 2014, 05:59:32 am »

I'd not be that sure. No one of us knows what happened behind curtains and what initial plans of Russian aggression were. Maybe only firm position of NATO stopped total conquest of Georgia back in 2008

What total conquest of Georgia? Name me one reason which Russia might have for including Georgia into its territory, please. Other than "oh god Russian aggression and imperialism agragargh". Nobody in Georgia wanted to be part of Russia.
The Ossetians sure did not mind the fact that all the rockets stopped falling on their heads, though.

What happened after I logged off yesterday? I leave on a totally undramatic note, come back to find people comparing our totally benevolent Czar to a certain German dictator. What? I mean, I don't like him either, but this is kinda too much.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: March 02, 2014, 06:04:56 am »

What total conquest of Georgia? Name me one reason which Russia might have for including Georgia into its territory, please.
Installing Russian puppet. Like you try to do in Ukraine, demanding from us to return your puppet mass-murderer Yanuk back in his palace.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: March 02, 2014, 06:17:32 am »

What total conquest of Georgia? Name me one reason which Russia might have for including Georgia into its territory, please.
Installing Russian puppet. Like you try to do in Ukraine, demanding from us to return your puppet mass-murderer Yanuk back in his palace.
Our puppet? Now I am offended. He kept most of your Nazi-loving pox face Yuschenko's policies, did not change shit, and actually supported the nationalist parties so he'd look good in comparison to them on the next elections. And we did not install him. The heart of democracy is that if your candidate does not get elected, you are not allowed to whine about it. Deal with it.

Also, nobody cares any more if he gets back or not. In my opinion, West Ukraine can elect the reincarnation of Bandera in blue trousers and an SS cap for all I care for president as long as my relatives and friends do not have to accept him. I'm like, the first to support Ukrainian identity and sovereignty - as long as it does not include anything I care about.

And since when is he a mass-murderer? An incompetent blabber, yes, but mass-murderer? He did not have the guts.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 286