Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 305893 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Russian intervention in Ukraine
« Reply #1260 on: March 01, 2014, 07:45:35 pm »

Why? The USSR/Russia has been doing that for the last what? 70 years?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: March 01, 2014, 07:45:56 pm »

I'll give you Putin being gone within ten years, but Russia has suffered way worse than that and survived throughout history. Putin's most absurd excesses would have been equivalent to a slightly rowdy party for the Tzars.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: March 01, 2014, 07:46:51 pm »

Edit: I find it a tad strange that Western leaders/media aren't even responding to the claims that this is a peacekeeping mission. Like that doesn't even come up at all. Government representatives in Russia are all saying that they are there to stop Russian citizens from being harmed, but there's not so much as a "We don't buy your bullshit" in response, it's just "Stop invading/doing whatever you're doing."
Because at this point it's entirely obvious what they're doing. Anyone with even a quarter of a brain can see that peacekeeping doesn't require an armed invasion complete with battalions of soldiers, helicopters, armored vehicles, and artillery. Or legislature signing off on military force. Or legislature creating bills to simplify the annexation process. Not to mention the obviously planted Russian soldiers pretending to be armed militias who have already been taking over strategic positions. It's farcical to the point of not even requiring or deserving a response.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: March 01, 2014, 07:55:46 pm »

USSR fell apart 11 years after their move in Afghanistan.
Russia is not USSR, it's weaker: Army, allies, internal stability, economy. Everything is inferior. 

Plus China. Modern China is modern country with ambitions to become the world leader

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #1264 on: March 01, 2014, 07:57:16 pm »

Russia's condition for the last 70 years has been a string of people gathering all the power and wealth to themselves, something happening to them, there being a power vacuum and the next guy in power was the one that got control during the power vacuum. Putin is the most recent.
Russia will survive. "Federation" I'm not so sure, since I'm not aware if there are any places that particularly don't want to be a part of Russia at the moment (not saying there is or isn't, I'm just not educated on the subject), but Russia itself should be fine. I do wonder if, with the collapse of the Soviet Union and most of the most-connected men in Russia being older now, if after Putin the power vacuum trend will cease. I also wonder if with Putin being in the top 5 wealthiest people in the world and personally owning a considerable amount of Russian industry/resources/etc. if he's just planning on setting up an economic monarchy, so whoever he wants will inherit Russia when he's gone.

Anyone know if there's been a reaction in Siberia to the goings-on? I read that there was a huge amount of Ukrainians that went to settle there way back when.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: March 01, 2014, 08:14:55 pm »

Fresh Ukrainian joke:
If you want to live in France - you go to France.
If you want to live in Germany - you go to Germany.
If you want to live in Russia - Russia goes to you
If you don't want to live in Russia - Russia still goes to you

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: March 01, 2014, 08:19:56 pm »

Where did the EU go again? America wasn't even involved.
EU leaders have been on the phone with Putin practically constantly since the protests started. He just does not give a fuck. America has been less diplomatic, but that hasn't helped either.

The only reason Russian is the majority is because of resettlement and murder of those who refused to accept Russian as the new language and be happily under the Soviet Union. I find this all very amusing, how about you give up Karelia to Finland if you think people should have their rightful lands? Or is Russia the only one allowed such rights?
Ugh. You're kind of arguing besides the point. Yes, what Russia is doing right now is flat out wrong. But you can't really argue against facts that have been created after WW2, namely the resettlement. If you argue against that, why not argue for Germany to be restored in it's 1939 or better it's 1914 borders, why not argue for Poland to be moved back east?
The fact that there is a sizeable Russian minority in Crimea now has to be taken into account, which is why the whole situation is so complicated.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: March 01, 2014, 08:28:54 pm »

It's complicated because Russia has nukes.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: March 01, 2014, 08:36:17 pm »

I'll give you Putin being gone within ten years, but Russia has suffered way worse than that and survived throughout history. Putin's most absurd excesses would have been equivalent to a slightly rowdy party for the Tzars.
Well, to be fair, the emperors we had after Ekatherine II were all very nice and modest people, if staunchly absolutist and incompetent due to their rigid traditionalism.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: March 01, 2014, 09:28:19 pm »

Spoiler: Sad but true (click to show/hide)

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: March 01, 2014, 10:06:59 pm »

UR, I realise that you very much do not like Russia, but so far Putin hasn't really done any ethnic cleansing. I don't think that he'll start now.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: March 01, 2014, 10:11:29 pm »

as far as we know of,he does control some very remote places with minorities in them.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: March 01, 2014, 10:13:43 pm »

Not that I necessarily agree, but... Neither did Hitler? He hadn't done any ethnic cleansing when he went after the Sudetenland, and certainly not by the Anschluss of Austria. Lots of rhetoric about the Jews, but... There's been an awful lot of rhetoric about LGBT in Russia. >____>
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: March 01, 2014, 10:14:17 pm »

UR, I realise that you very much do not like Russia, but so far Putin hasn't really done any ethnic cleansing. I don't think that he'll start now.

It is important not to get ahead of ourselves, but Russia is basically on the verge of saying, "This land is as good as Russian so we're just going to run it now".  Which would be the second or third or fourth time for Putin-era Russia to have done so.  And some would argue that Putin-era Russia's treatment of Chechnya and Ossetia and Dagestan and so forth amounts to ethnic cleansing for want of death camps.

I'm not saying Russia is about to go Anschluss on Sevastopol, but I'll bet that's what everyone in NATO is basically expecting to happen.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: March 01, 2014, 10:16:48 pm »

Article on the Ukranian military. The abridged version is the Ukrainians won't be retaking Crimea wihout outside help any time soon, but have the resources (and partisans) to mount a credible defense elsewhere. More credible then Georgia at least.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 286