Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 303975 times)

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
Re: Russian intervention in Ukraine
« Reply #1215 on: March 01, 2014, 04:43:19 pm »

The way I see it, many, many territories throughout the history have changed hands so many times that it's almost impossible to discern who is their rightful owner. Therefore, I propose, as I usually prefer, a system of values that leads to as few people dying as possible: the people currently living on a certain territory own it. It is unfair, yes, but it, in my opinion, is less unfair and most importantly less militant than irredentism.

Thus, I believe that if the current inhabitants of Crimea want to be part of Russia, so be it. Just because Putin gets to satisfy his unquenchable power-boner in the process doesn't meen that the Crimeans don't want to secede.

Avis, Putin is a stereotypical despot. He wants to invade because it strokes his ego.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: March 01, 2014, 04:44:38 pm »

Knit: the problem is we don't know. No referendum yet, plus with all the turmoil at the time it's not exactly the right time to make such an important decision.

Also, the language law repeal was vetoed. Nothing happened.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: March 01, 2014, 04:45:55 pm »

Thus, I believe that if the current inhabitants of Crimea want to be part of Russia, so be it. Just because Putin gets to satisfy his unquenchable power-boner in the process doesn't meen that the Crimeans don't want to secede.

Russia already has occupied the area. When did Crimea ask for them to? Did they hold a vote to secede? Remember, the local representatives were removed by the 'armed militias' [KGB] before the occupation, so any votes held now in Crimea are on the Kremlins terms. We've passed the point of self determination, Russia already invaded the place.

If this were any other country Russians would be burning themselves in the streets to decry such blatant imperialism.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 04:48:41 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: March 01, 2014, 04:48:10 pm »

Russia already has occupied the area. When did Crimea ask for them to? Did they hold a vote to secede?

They didn't, I agree. Putin, as I said, it a power-hungry tyrant. He would've invaded even if the Crimeans were agains it (which they probably are).

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: March 01, 2014, 04:48:18 pm »

The way I see it, many, many territories throughout the history have changed hands so many times that it's almost impossible to discern who is their rightful owner. Therefore, I propose, as I usually prefer, a system of values that leads to as few people dying as possible: the people currently living on a certain territory own it. It is unfair, yes, but it, in my opinion, is less unfair and most importantly less militant than irredentism.

We'll have endless arguments about which ethnicity living there owns it instead.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: March 01, 2014, 04:51:01 pm »

We'll have endless arguments about which ethnicity living there owns it instead.

That's still better than wars.

Anyway, just to make this clear: Putin invaded unlawfully. He is a criminal. I do not suport him in any way, shape or form.

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: March 01, 2014, 04:57:38 pm »

Anyway, just to make this clear: Putin invaded unlawfully. He is a criminal. I do not suport him in any way, shape or form.

Is there any type of legit invading?  ;)
Make love not war

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: March 01, 2014, 05:00:39 pm »

Is there any type of legit invading?  ;)
If America invades a country, than yeah. Unlike the horrible Russian Empire, they are 100% genuinely concerned about the well-being of people living there and don't have absolutely any shady political or business interests and never had any. Ever.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: March 01, 2014, 05:01:52 pm »

American wars are questionable, but remind me... when the last time USA tried to get a new state?
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: March 01, 2014, 05:03:03 pm »

If America invades a country, than yeah. Unlike the horrible Russian Empire, they are 100% genuinely concerned about the well-being of people living there and don't have absolutely any shady political or business interests and never had any. Ever.

You see, that tells us that both USA and Russia are same shit. Dont know witch is worse.
Make love not war

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: March 01, 2014, 05:04:08 pm »

American wars are questionable, but remind me... when the last time USA tried to get a new state?
19th century, but I need to note: Americans don't annex a territory they've taken over, they set up a universally accepted puppet government there instead.

EDIT: fixed historical date, my bad
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 05:05:48 pm by Guardian G.I. »
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: March 01, 2014, 05:04:29 pm »

GJ, cuts the straw men. No one on this forum supported the Iraq war, and this is also true of the vast majority of Westerners including Barack Obama.

America invading place is bad. Russia invading place is bad too.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: March 01, 2014, 05:05:44 pm »

And yet when Russia invades a country it isn't imperialist at all.
Last invasion? 1898, Annexation of Hawaii. They more recently (40s) tried to buy off Greenland, but Denmark wouldn't sell. (Guardian is a little off. 18th century there barely even was an America).

Of course insipid east-west arguing is pointless. What the hell is going on right now?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 05:07:46 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: March 01, 2014, 05:06:05 pm »

+1
Make love not war

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: March 01, 2014, 05:09:42 pm »

When they tried to install a puppet government in Iraq that would essentially let them exploit the resources of that country without providing any of the benefits that being a part of the US entails. It's pretty much like a colony.

+1
+2 Place can secede by itself if it wants to, or stay in Ukraine if it doesn't.
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 286