Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 305248 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Uprising in Ukraine
« Reply #1020 on: February 28, 2014, 05:25:10 pm »

Not one of these guys has a magazine in. So they basically haul unwieldy metal and wood clubs around.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: February 28, 2014, 05:25:22 pm »

EDIT: Or is he just trying to "conquer" some new territories?

I think the term here is re-conquer.  ;D

I bet that's exactly how his thought process went. There are still lunatics down here who think that the US owes us Alaska, you know?

I'm listening to the UN Ukrainian ambassador, apparently the Russian FM posted stuff on Facebook saying that the consulates have been given instructions to give Russian passports to former Berkut members. Ukraine asked for a meeting under article 7 of the Budapest Treaty, but unsurprisingly Russia refused.

EDIT: Mict, Georgia was only 6 years ago.

I don't really think that giving "Berkut" members what amounts to asulym so that the more radical revolutionaries cannot lynch them is that bad of an act, to be honest. Most of them were just doing their job.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 05:36:34 pm by Knit tie »

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: February 28, 2014, 05:26:41 pm »

On a less serious note:
The info is extremely unreliable, but the photos are true.
Picture 14. That sword at the bottom.

Was Yanukovych...a diligent LARPer?  :o
(or is that some actuall sword and I've just made an ass out of myself)
I'm going to bed now. I hope situation will end without further escalations. I really do.

...and I thought Yanukovych's place was kitschy. I feel like cauterizing my eyeballs now.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: February 28, 2014, 05:26:53 pm »

Georgia? Na pretty much the same thing. Russia had exercise, then started moving more and more troops into South Ossetia (Including an armored column the day before the start of the war).

Then, Sakashvili decided to act and tried to do a preventive strike to block the Russians (There is only a single tunnel leading from Russia to South Ossetia). It failed and gave Russia the CB to invade the rest of the country.

Edit: Giving passport away to manufacture citizens they can then protect is a favourite Russian tactics.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: February 28, 2014, 05:33:20 pm »

Not one of these guys has a magazine in. So they basically haul unwieldy metal and wood clubs around.
It's usual when near civilians that are considered "friendly" to seem less threatning, clips are pretty fast to put on when needed.

Edit: Giving passport away to manufacture citizens they can then protect is a favourite Russian tactics.
This. And they keep using it for as long as Russians back home don't find out. Which, looking at their current propaganda campaign and censored news doesn't seem likely...

Edit: Thread could be renamed to "Russian invasion in Ukraine"
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 05:35:23 pm by Mr. Strange »
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Russian intervention in Ukraine
« Reply #1025 on: February 28, 2014, 05:34:50 pm »

Eh, if a guy is holding a gun without magazine, I think most people would assume 'OH GOD HE HAS A GUN' rather than 'Oh, his gun has no magazine'.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: February 28, 2014, 05:35:08 pm »

Roadblocks outside Sevastopol. Internet and local media are cut.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: February 28, 2014, 05:36:50 pm »

Eh, if a guy is holding a gun without magazine, I think most people would assume 'OH GOD HE HAS A GUN' rather than 'Oh, his gun has no magazine'.
Only if they are not on solders side to begin with. If they are hostile, well, it's double win.
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: February 28, 2014, 05:37:22 pm »

On a less serious note:

Seeing how hard and unconvincingly Pshonka was pretending to be a servant of justice while in reality being a fat, ungainly, unpleasant parasite who rarely left his home and fantasized about being Caesar, I'd say he was exactly what N.Y. Times readers think a LARPer is.

On a more serious note, I am seriously hoping that nobody dies in Crimea.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 05:49:41 pm by Knit tie »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: February 28, 2014, 05:42:34 pm »

Confirmed amphibious assault units heading for Crimea.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

On other news, Obama left the White House to run to the DNC and is now circlejerking about how good a job he is doing for the US economy and how cool Democrats are.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: February 28, 2014, 05:43:58 pm »

On a less serious note:

I'm going to bed now. I hope situation will end without further escalations. I really do.

...and I thought Yanukovych's place was kitschy. I feel like cauterizing my eyeballs now.
Popular Ukrainian joke - Sinful designers don't go to hell, they go to Pshonka's place

Back to the serious stuff.... Keep getting unpleasant rumors like Russian jets over Crimea and stuff like that... Most likely usual Internet panic but  I have very-very bad feelings.
Also, I'd not rule out appearance of "self defense units" in other regions bordering Russia
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: February 28, 2014, 05:45:40 pm »

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/cnn-us-officials-saying-russian-military-incursion-ukraine-uncontested-arrival-not-invasion_783629.html

Amid reports that Russian military forces have entered Ukraine, CNN reports that U.S. officials are calling the incursion an "uncontested arrival," not necessarily "an invasion," and that this distinction is "key."

Really, what in the actual fuck? Everyone would be burning themselves in the streets to proclaim the US's evilness had America been doing this. Is this bizarro world? Shit, may as well get used to the fact that noone -- not one -- government will stand up to this anymore. Atleast people faked outrage over Georgia.

Great, what an awesome precedent, guys. We're screwed if we just let this happen all the time.

Let's go uncontested arrival Canada, ey?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 05:49:48 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: February 28, 2014, 05:49:15 pm »

So, the latest that the BBC is reporting:

Ukraine's defence ministry says it has information of unknown "radical forces" planning operations against its military units in Crimea early on Saturday morning, Reuters reports. "In the case of such unknown actions, the Ukrainian armed forces will act in accordance with the laws of Ukraine and the regulations of the Ukrainian armed forces," the ministry said in a statement on its Website.
This is a blank sig.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: February 28, 2014, 05:49:54 pm »

Well, it is weird. You expect fighting when you have an invasion. Even the Ukrainian ambassador called it aggression, not invasion.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: February 28, 2014, 05:50:08 pm »

And I stand corrected. Although the russian media has plenty of articles about that, actually. The problem with our news is not that everything is under Putin's control, it's that most sources are literally incapable of assuming a moderate position: everyone is either "Lynch the rebel scum!" or "Lynch the foul tyrants!", and the truthfulness obviously suffers.

Well, it is weird. You expect fighting when you have an invasion. Even the Ukrainian ambassador called it aggression, not invasion.
I say let's wait a bit and see how the governments react to political pressure. The White House might as well start calling it an invasion after a week or so.

ANd if it does and starts a war against Russia, we are pretty much all screwed.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 05:53:37 pm by Knit tie »
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 286