Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 305540 times)

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
Re: Uprising in Ukraine
« Reply #870 on: February 26, 2014, 06:04:48 pm »

You say of annexing Crimea back to Russia like it's a bad thing.
Yep, it's a bad thing. For Tatars. For Ukraine it is bad, too, naval base is a good thing to have and losing Crimea will mess with our territorial waters, hurting Ukrainian economics.  And having a war near our borders isn't nice, either.  Finally that kind of annexing will show the way to other Ukrainian regions. So even with my lack of attachment to that territory, I don't want let it go
Well, about the national aspect, someone posted an ethnic map of Ukraine here or in Sheb's politics thread, and it said that about 78 percent of crimean population is Russian. A the most of others consider themselves Ukrainians, I presume. And I don't know exactly how much tatar are still living there, but I think that their numbers aren't big enough to make a considerable impact on some kind of referendum, which I think must be performed in Crimea in order to do something with their national/state politics thing.
As far as I know, Sevastopol, for instance, is still Russian naval base. With Russian fleet docking there permanently. Well, yes, Crimea has most of developed sea bases on Ukraine now, as far as I know, but I can also see some other places where Ukraine has access to sea, so, you won't be lethally injured on that point.
On the whole, I guess I have opposite opinion to annexation of Ukrainian territories to Russia because I'm Russian and you're Ukrainian  :D And that I think is pretty right. Because I'm a imperialist seeking to reunite Russian territories to their maximum limits reached in 1867. Because you just want to see your country whole. That is natural. I do respect that.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: February 26, 2014, 06:33:54 pm »

and it said that about 78 percent of crimean population is Russian
Don't know where you got that map from. 2001 Ukrainian census  gives:

Russians   58.5%
Ukrainians 24.4%   
Crimean Tatars 12.1%
With the rest being other nations

That's barely majority.
And I can't see  how number of Russians could raise since then.  In fact I am rather sure that it is below 50% now. Internal migration adds Ukrainians, higher birth rates benefit Tatars and some other nations, Emigration hurts Tatars less because they tend to stay in the place. Immigration is more Central-Asian\North Caucasian in nature. So I will not be surprised if real number of Russians is  below 50% now

As far as I know, Sevastopol, for instance, is still Russian naval base.
It's Ukrainian naval base loaned by Russia. Very different thing.
It is a bad situation and a result of Kravchuck's treason, all Soviet Union Black Sea fleet should have become Ukrainian (Or Ukraine should have got percentage of all Soviet fleets)

as far as I know, but also see some other places where Ukraine has access to sea, so, you won't be lethally injured on that point.
You can't base naval vessels in just any port. One needs dedicated facilities. That's exactly why Russian navy was allowed to stay, because it had no other place to base the vessels. Even now with facilities in Novorosiysk it is not that easy to base the whole fleet there . Oh and no, we don't have billions to build a new naval base

On the whole, I guess I have opposite opinion to annexation of Ukrainian territories to Russia because I'm Russian
I find it... very weird when a citizen of 21th century country wants annexations of territories of other countries. 
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #872 on: February 26, 2014, 06:36:06 pm »

As far as I know, Sevastopol, for instance, is still Ukrainian naval base. With Ukrainian and Russian fleets docking there permanently, as per a lease of the naval bases agreed to by Ukraine and Russia in 1997 set to expire in 2017 but renewed by Yanukovich in 2010.

Fixed that for you.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: February 26, 2014, 06:47:57 pm »

"Glory to Ukraine - Glory to Heroes " was chanted by fans in Moscow during a match between two Moscow hockey teams. Hehehehe. One more reminder that Russians and Putin's zombies are two different entities

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: February 26, 2014, 07:00:39 pm »

Erm that statistic of 78% Crimea being Russian surely refers to the language, wikipedia states 77% of Crimea list Russian as their 'Primary" language.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: February 26, 2014, 07:16:12 pm »

I have a bad feeling that Russia plans something big in Crimea soon...  Russian media right now is like Russian media in 2008 if you change Georgia to Ukraine

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: February 26, 2014, 07:30:05 pm »

The US has already previously warned Russia against using troops. Step it up Obama.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: February 26, 2014, 09:06:49 pm »

The US has already previously warned Russia against using troops. Step it up Obama.
What exactly would he do? Russia has more of a claim on Crimea than we do.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: February 27, 2014, 03:06:57 am »

Russians as in ethnically russian Ukrainian, right?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: February 27, 2014, 03:32:48 am »

Russians as in ethnically russian Ukrainian, right?
They claimed to be members of ethnic Russian self-defence forces.
They broke in around 4:20 in the morning, disarmed the guards, barricaded the entrances and raised a Russian flag on the roof:

They were heavily armed and wore military uniforms without any markings.
The representatives of the Crimean autonomy government are currently negotiating with them.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: February 27, 2014, 03:34:30 am »

Crap. I wonder where they got their weapons. Maybe some sympathizer in the Russian Black Sea Fleet? Anyway, worth watching.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: February 27, 2014, 03:41:32 am »

Crap. I wonder where they got their weapons. Maybe some sympathizer in the Russian Black Sea Fleet? Anyway, worth watching.
Some Russian radio station claimed that the attackers are former Berkut members from Sevastopol.

People at Russian anti-Maidan oriented websites are cheering, but something tells me that this incident may be a provocation. Apparently, the attackers refused to negotiate with diplomats from the Russian General Consulate.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 03:48:01 am by Guardian G.I. »
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: February 27, 2014, 04:27:12 am »

OKay i see Comrade P.s point here that Crimea once belonged to Russia some hundred years ago, but lets be honest here you took it by force of arms and it actually belongs to the Tartars and the Ukrainians.

Even if there is a Russian Majority in that part of the Country, it seceding would be the same as if several german cities where the turkish immigrant population is higher than that of the german natives would suddenly go "nah we want to secede to Turkey".

Not to mention that if i got crimea right in my head, that its integration to Russia would look weird on the map, like that small enclave north of Poland. In any case whats with that up anyway?
But yeah my point being that it would be completely disconnected from Russia, except by sea.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #884 on: February 27, 2014, 05:18:40 am »

OKay i see Comrade P.s point here that Crimea once belonged to Russia some hundred years ago, but lets be honest here you took it by force of arms and it actually belongs to the Tartars and the Ukrainians.

Russia does have a valid claim on the region, though, even if it comes from more recent times. Sevastopol was incredibly important to Russia, and remains so such that it leases military facilities from Ukraine in order to base the Black Sea Fleet there. However, it's also incredibly important to Ukraine, for similar reasons in addition to being a very, very important port.

Let's be careful not to make out Russia as the Big Bad Guys every time something goes down. We don't want to sound like hypocrites.

Not to mention that if i got crimea right in my head, that its integration to Russia would look weird on the map, like that small enclave north of Poland. In any case whats with that up anyway?
But yeah my point being that it would be completely disconnected from Russia, except by sea.

Not really. It wouldn't be connected via the mainland to Russia, but it'd be a stone's throw away otherwise. It's kinda like Nova Scotia/Prince Edward Island/etc. being a part of Canada. It's barely even connected to Ukraine to begin with.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 286