Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 305749 times)

WarRoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Uprising in Ukraine
« Reply #795 on: February 24, 2014, 06:22:43 am »

Dude, laissez-faire capitalism isn't a requirement for liberal democracies and if it was then we would have none :D

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: February 24, 2014, 07:04:44 am »

I don't think I said anything about the Belarusian language.
Sorry I was half asleep when I wrote that, I meant Guardian G.I.

Edit:
Just watched this video : http://www.news.com.au/world/ukraine-parliament-speaker-appointed-interim-leader-as-sacked-president-goes-into-hiding/story-fndir2ev-1226834819311#ooid=9qMThzazo760lxa6WkQrnV1JVxzIWSJc
Like the rest of the videos I've seen, With the closeness of the fighting and the amount of crap being thrown at the police I'm reminded how there would have been a massacre if live rounds had been used conclusively. Of course I would assume most protesters would have left the open fighting and a more conventional guerrilla uprising would have been the result, and I'm sure everyone is glad that didn't happen.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 07:30:51 am by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: February 24, 2014, 08:14:12 am »

Apparently a warrant has been issued against Yanukovich for his role in the deaths during Euromaidan.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: February 24, 2014, 08:44:24 am »

Guardian, I want to ask you something

Today, stocks of Bogdan group got +40% on the Ukrainian stock market. Is that exactly that evil guys from BMW who want to buy out Ukrainian automotive industry and  close it to get get rid of a competitor? Should I start to worry about impending poverty?

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: February 24, 2014, 08:50:59 am »

Why am I surprised to find on that page that the company is controlled by a Ukrainian politician? :P
Not that it's unusual, or even wrong really.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Kicior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: February 24, 2014, 09:07:35 am »

I don't see the point of keeping a language on life support. It's not like Belarus and Russia can't remain separate countries if both populations will speak only Russian (even though "us versus them" mentality is much easier to keep if you don't speak the same language I guess).
and slippedy sloppidy doo everything is made of fuck

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: February 24, 2014, 09:34:30 am »

Yeah, the main question is whether languages have a right to exist; and I'd answer that with a firm no. Otherwise you should probably start polishing your Latin, Owlbread :D
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: February 24, 2014, 10:54:05 am »

I think it somewhat ridiculous to try and preserve Belorussian when the belorussians dont care for it...let it die.

Don't take that wrong UR but Ukraine has a Automotive Industry? a National one? Oo and i doubt BMW would try to get rid of them. Ukrainian Cars would be more of a niche product and no real competition for BMW with all due respect.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: February 24, 2014, 11:06:54 am »

Don't take that wrong UR but Ukraine has a Automotive Industry? a National one? Oo and i doubt BMW would try to get rid of them. Ukrainian Cars would be more of a niche product and no real competition for BMW with all due respect.
They assemble Hyundais too, so it's direct competition for BMW.

Yeah, the main question is whether languages have a right to exist; and I'd answer that with a firm no. Otherwise you should probably start polishing your Latin, Owlbread :D
I'm more with Owlbread in that I think every language and dialect should be preserved as a living language if possible. I don't think however you should force people to use a certain language if they don't seem to want to.

The new Ukrainian government has reverted a law that made Russian an official language. That's not a great thing when roughly 30% of Ukrainians have Russian as their first language. Besides that it's also angering Russia, which is not a smart move.

Also more hybris from the old elites private homes: the General Prosecutor as Cesar.  :D
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 11:19:33 am by XXSockXX »

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: February 24, 2014, 11:17:27 am »

I don't see the point of keeping a language on life support. It's not like Belarus and Russia can't remain separate countries if both populations will speak only Russian (even though "us versus them" mentality is much easier to keep if you don't speak the same language I guess).

It's actually more important than you'd think. There are almost no instances of nations remaining separate in any meaningful way whilst speaking the exact same language. I know many countries speak French and English and so on, but even in cases like Australia, USA and the UK linguistic differences are there in the accents which are often badges of national pride. In some instances, such as in Wales, language goes far deeper than just a badge of national pride. You could argue that it "is" the nation.

I think it somewhat ridiculous to try and preserve Belorussian when the belorussians dont care for it...let it die.

A lot of things will die out if we have that attitude. What's the point in preserving wild cats in Scotland? There's no practical use to them, they just kill pheasants and grouse and make life harder for estate owners. They're a nuisance, a pest. They don't occupy any important role in the ecosystem because there's other predators. The only people that genuinely like them are tourists and lowlanders and idealists like me. Who cares there's only 13 purebreds left in the wild at the most? Just let them die out.

Some people like to suggest that languages are inherently about practicality and are therefore not subject to the same sort of moral reasoning as we apply to animal conservation. To some, languages are like tools or something, I don't know. If there's nobody to speak to, why bother learning the language? Languages aren't just practical though, otherwise we wouldn't be so attached to them.

You are missing his point. He's making a joke at Guardian G.I's expense who expressed concerns that something along those lines would occur in Belarus. Their tractor factories would be under threat, no less.

I'm more with Owlbread in that I think every language and dialect should be preserved as a living language if possible. I don't think however you should force people to use a certain language if they don't seem to want to.

The new Ukrainian government has reverted a law that made Russian an official language. That's not a great thing when roughly 30% of Ukrainians have Russian as their first language. Besides that it's also angering Russia, which is not a smart move.

Now you see how important language politics is to the Ukraine. In some respects this isn't as big a derail as it may seem. Perhaps some Russophone Ukrainians would make the same arguments we have been making about national identities and language:

"Why is it such a problem that Ukraine should speak the same language as Russia?"
"Because then it would probably erode their national identity and lead to union with Russia."
"Why is it such a problem that Ukraine is united with Russia?"

And so on and so forth.

Also more hybris from the old elites private homes: the General Prosecutor as Cesar.  :D

It's almost like raiding Gaddafi's compound. In some respects that's a good indicator of just how screwed up a political establishment was. It's a shame you can only see it after the fall, like when you cut down a tree to see the rings so you can work out its age.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 11:30:45 am by Owlbread »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: February 24, 2014, 11:25:10 am »

Some people like to suggest that languages are inherently about practicality and are therefore not subject to the same sort of moral reasoning as we apply to animal conservation. To some, languages are like tools or something, I don't know. If there's nobody to speak to, why bother learning the language? Languages aren't just practical though, otherwise we wouldn't be so attached to them.
People get attached to their tools all the time, often persisting in using inferior tools for impractical reasons.

But if y'all want to have a discussion on languages, might be worth it to start a thread about it instead of doing it here. I'd participate.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: February 24, 2014, 11:28:39 am »

We should cut GI some slack. After all, this forum is predominetly western, with all the bias and assumptions we have here, and we should acknowledge this (I mean, would we have reacted in the same way if right and far-right groups had protested and rioted against a regime that wasn't Russian-aligned?).

As for languages... Well, to me their practical aspect is most important. Regional languages and stuff are fine, but having everyone on Earth speak english as well is absolutely necessary. And I don't really care if a language die or not.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: February 24, 2014, 11:29:16 am »

Well, that BMW thing has a prehistory. In Sheb's political thread Guardian tried to prove that should Lukashenko go, western companies will buy out local industry to get rid of competitors. Unlike me he was deadly serious :)

As for Ukrainian automotive industry, it is not dead. We have
1) Bogdan that specializes on buses and trolleybuses that can compete in it's price segment, especially on local market (IIRC they won a tender for public transport in some Polish city. May be wrong).
Nothing bad should happen with them
2) KRAZ that builds various trucks that again can compete in it's price segment and I hope will get more military contracts. I expect nothing bad happened with them either even if they are more dependable of Russian market.
One of the best form of governmental support they can get: Military contracts.
Our army needs new trucks and special vehicles
3) Finally we have AutoZAZ... They make overpriced crap, but being owned by "right person" it got extreme support including ridiculous import tariffs (Violating rules of WTO) to the point that a car in Ukraine may cost several times more than the same car in Germany.
That one has high chances to die.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: February 24, 2014, 11:39:47 am »

Well, to be fair, nothing really happened, and the news that the country is not going into a bloody civil war/ continued repression/ political unstability is probably going to raise shares.

When Ukraine signs that agreement with the EU, then we'll see interesting things. ((I'm sure most of the Ukrainian industry will survive, but that was probably the thingy Guardian was talking about. After all, politicians don't affect the  economy, it's their policies that do.))

But the worst shock probably won't be foreign investement, it'll be a reduction of governement subsidation, mainly the loss of cheap russian gas.

moondowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: February 24, 2014, 11:44:21 am »

Ukrainian Ranger, you forgot to mention LAZ - the biggest bus/trolleybus manufacturer in Ukraine, actually.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 286