Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 305880 times)

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
Re: Uprising in Ukraine
« Reply #750 on: February 22, 2014, 01:39:43 pm »

More righteous indignation from Putin henchmen:
Vladimir Lukin, Moscow’s envoy to Kiev, had this to say in a TV interview, according to Reuters:

I do not understand, frankly, how after recognising the legitimacy of President Yanukovich, the parliament, all the state structures, my European colleagues can then come to Kiev and go to the nationalist-revolutionary and terrorist Maidan and say there - down with the government they recognised.
Yeah, a lot depends now on how Russia will react. They are - at least technically - right about the agreement being broken and about the decision to oust Yanuk being unconstitutional.

Also more interesting than the other stuff, they also found lots of documents at the mansion. Budget lists, and black lists with the names of journalists, some of whom were beaten up badly in the past. All stuff that could be used as evidence should there be a trial.
Apparently the Russian government can't do anything about Ukraine besides publishing strongly-worded proclamations.
I guess they will start acting more resolute only when NATO bombers quartered on Ukrainian airfields will be attacking Moscow.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 01:41:22 pm by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: February 22, 2014, 01:45:40 pm »

Apparently the Russian government can't do anything about Ukraine besides publishing strongly-worded proclamations.
Russia decides to  pretend it is EU?
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: February 22, 2014, 01:52:33 pm »

I guess they will start acting more resolute only when NATO bombers quartered on Ukrainian airfields will be attacking Moscow.
I take that as a joke.
Russian FM Lawrow did issue a strongly-worde proclamation though. It thought that was our thing.

Pic of the documents.

Tymoshenko declared Ukraine would soon join the EU. Seems she's getting over-enthusiastic.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #753 on: February 22, 2014, 01:59:39 pm »

I can't tell if you're making a literal statement there or if you're actually saying that you think that's what is going to happen.
In the latter case, I seriously think that no one wants that to happen, including any world leaders. Militaries of equivalent technological advancement fighting on the world stage would be horrifying. Everyone avoided it in the Cold War because of that (an actual ground and air war that wasn't between geopolitical proxies, that is, not the MAD thing), and considering that we're not even in a Cold War now I'd say it's even less likely to happen any time soon. Lots and lots of things would have to change.

Nah, most of what they're saying is for their own benefit I believe. "Look, fellow Russians! Look upon their hypocrisy! The EU is full of liars and schemers!" That seems to be the tone they're setting, even if what they actually say may be true (and I think it is? Haven't personally been following on what the EU has actually been doing about this). If they get the EU to feel guilty over it then that's bonus points.

I think how it'll play out is that Russia gets these words in now, the EU feels guilty and looks a little more bad on the world stage, Yanuk gets put on trial for the crap he has pulled throughout office, the EU vindicates itself by pointing out what a douchebag the guy was and they didn't know how bad at the time, and then Russia goes "Look how bad that guy was, the Ukrainian government is so much worse than ours!"
It's like a double victory for self-propoganda for Russia. Not that I'm saying it's bad of them to do that, everyone does it, but I think that's going to be the reaction from Russia (other than possibly gobbling up the Crimea with Sevastopol).

Tymoshenko declared Ukraine would soon join the EU. Seems she's getting over-enthusiastic.

Even if much of the Ukraine is now anti-EU or neutral to the EU instead of Pro-EU, I take it that they are by and large way more anti-Russia. It's best for them if they side with the EU so they can maintain geopolitical security while being right next to Russia. I'm not sure if they want to do that before or after the whole thing with the Crimea is sorted out since I think the EU is somewhat pro-separationist in its attitude? Not sure.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: February 22, 2014, 02:01:53 pm »

Sevastopol

I feel like if Sevastopol were to be Russian, it would've already been. Mostly because of the majority-Russian populace. Just an offhand observation, though. I wouldn't be surprised if they gave the middle finger to secession to stay in Ukraine. Crimea is just a baseless landgrab were Russia to claim it all, though. They'd have to do it under the pretense of giving them independence.

Shit, Russia has as much legitimacy on a claim to Crimea as Turkey.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 02:06:22 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: February 22, 2014, 02:04:34 pm »

I don't think the Right Sector plans to side with EU at all. And they are the real power.
._.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: February 22, 2014, 02:06:09 pm »

Even if much of the Ukraine is now anti-EU or neutral to the EU instead of Pro-EU, I take it that they are by and large way more anti-Russia. It's best for them if they side with the EU so they can maintain geopolitical security while being right next to Russia. I'm not sure if they want to do that before or after the whole thing with the Crimea is sorted out since I think the EU is somewhat pro-separationist in its attitude? Not sure.
Well, but joining the EU takes a long time and can be pretty complicated. She can promise to move the country into that direction, but it's ultimately not her decision if Ukraine actually gets to join. Of course the EU wants to be friendly with Ukraine, with possible membership as a perspective somwhere in the future. I just think Tymoshenko should not make any promises to her people, when she doesn't know if she can keep them. That will only make her look like a liar and possibly turn the population against the EU too.
Also the general situation isn't really sorted out yet, with secession still a possibility.
Actually I realize I'm talking like Tymoshenko already had won an election or something. That also has to happen first. Lot of room for disappointment there.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 02:19:10 pm by XXSockXX »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: February 22, 2014, 02:20:17 pm »

While Tymoshenko wasn't totally cut from the outside world, I bet she doesn't understand how much different Ukraine(2014) to Ukraine(2011)

It will be amusing to see her  attempts to get back in power. She may succeed and I'd rather not see that. But as I said earlier If the justice system will be reformed, I'll accept just any president. I only want to be sure that when that any president starts to build a palace for him(her)self (s)he goes to the jail immediately

I don't think the Right Sector plans to side with EU at all. And they are the real power.
Right Sector position is: - That to be decided by the nation on the referendum but we are against it. While Right Sector may have some guys who dream about a fuhrer, core of it believes in direct democracy opposing to the "rotten" EU style democracy
Besides we have many problem to solve before the question EU or not EU will become viable

On Crimea... Attempt to join Russia will create Tatar uprising. They may be a minority. But they REALLY don't want in Russia. And local elites know that. Not that Russians moves in Crimea are impossible but I am more worried about Kharkov and Donbass
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: February 22, 2014, 03:34:12 pm »

Damn you, you stole my line!

Also, protestors are doing some carpentering on their free time:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: February 22, 2014, 03:37:04 pm »

One Museum already asked to give them that catapult

Tymoshenko... What a talented demagogue she is

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: February 22, 2014, 03:40:06 pm »

So apparently Oleksandr Turchynov is acting-President of Ukraine in the absence of Yanukovych. Apparently there's also a new Separatist movement called "Eastern Front" operating in Donbass too.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 03:41:52 pm by Owlbread »

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: February 22, 2014, 05:19:18 pm »

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: February 22, 2014, 05:29:22 pm »

Well, the Israeli embassy recommended people stay at home too. There have been some anti-semitic incidents, so they have reason to be worried. It's stuff like that the new government needs to have an eye on, might freak out the international community otherwise.

BBC also reports minor clashes between Euromaidan supporters and people defending the local Lenin statue in Kharkiv, with police keeping both sides apart.

There was another report about Yanukovych trying to board a plane in Donetsk and getting stopped, not sure if that's the same thing that was reported earlier.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 05:46:41 pm by XXSockXX »

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: February 22, 2014, 05:48:41 pm »

Ukrainian Rabbi calls for Jews to leave Kiev and possibly the country.

Quote from: update in that article
Correction (Feb. 22, 4:20 P.M.): An earlier version of this report incorrectly described Rabbi Azman as the chief rabbi of Ukraine. Azman is not the country's chief rabbi, but one of two rabbis challenging the official chief rabbi, Yaakov Bleich, in Kiev, and like most Chabad rabbis, is aligned with the Kremlin.

Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 286