Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 305795 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Uprising in Ukraine
« Reply #465 on: February 20, 2014, 09:06:43 am »

Actually they're army stuff, BTR-70. In the soviet doctrine, they were to be used to rapidly move infantry alongside tanks and cross areas contaminated with radiation/chemicals. Not for urban fighting.

Plus, they actually stand the molotov quite well. You've got other video of BTR-70 rushing toward a barricade trying to ram it, being engulfed in flame and then retreating back to the police's line, where people could extinguish the fire, and all that with minimal damage.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: February 20, 2014, 09:09:23 am »

Yeah, UR, people shouldn't call you a Nazi, but you shouldn't let yourself be provoked into personal attacks either. We know this is personal for you, but insults don't help with staying on topic.
You are right. Sorry for that, It's too hard to keep calm after a phone call that 3 guys I personally know are shot dead. I'll not visit the topic before the victory. If you do have questions to me - use PMs. Will answer if Internet will not be shut down by the government
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: February 20, 2014, 09:17:35 am »

Man, we're all really sorry for you. I hope for a swift and as painless as possible victory. May your friends and family stay alive.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

webber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: February 20, 2014, 09:52:12 am »

Yeah, right, our media are all lying, only Glorious Russian Media is telling the total and objective truth.

And from what I gather, you've proven that the protesters can be violent (You don't say? The beat up someone? Totally unreported by our lying media). Then you assert out of the blue that all the shot protesters were killed by civilians without any source or stuff. I'm going to trust eyewitnesses from the international press more than you, thank you very much.

I also kinda laughed at Russian media when some of them showed peaceful beginning of Maidan as a fachist putsch.
Stopped laughing when this came true.
Russian sources are not all totally controlled by evil Sta Putin and many of them supply information with no trace of bias.
Western media kept talking about "peaceful protest" even when Berkut officers were being burned alive during the first clash. I`m also yet to see Western reports about opposition deputies calling "everybody who has registered weapon" to join Maidan, or about their earlier calls to seek and burn police officers` families. I assume that not ALL of them are biased, but MOST are.
I cannot provide you any proofs about the recent victims, because I got this information "from third hands", but the early ones (Nigoyan for example) according to official reports were killed with buckshot from high angle and had powder traces on their clothes. So much government snipers.

I got a semi-personnal dislike of Russian medias ever since my dad gave an interview to RT and they cut end edited it until it was saying the opposite of what he wanted to say.
Like LordSlowpoke already said, everybody does that.

...but also police snipers.

according to the reporters police snipers randomly shot them.
Sorry, but not everybody dressed in black and wieldeng a rifle is a police sniper. Also, as I said earlier, police did not have permission to use lethal force.
There are reports that they were given this permission and weapons recently. Don`t know if true.
Also remember that protesters captured unknown amount of police equipment, and now probably weapons and uniform. I think I don`t have to explain further.

I keep getting reports about both sides attacked by snipers. Someone is trying to escalate this even more...

The opposition leaders probably have lost control over some of the more radical groups.
Looooooong ago.

I have no problem with listening to people that oppose EuroMaidan protests. No, I wold gladly listen to what they have to say for in any conflict, it is good one gathers information from all sides involved to pass a valid judgement.

However, it is good you pass this information in a credible manner, webber.
First video you posted - yes, the situation is anything else than a calm protest. But why did the protesters capture this man? What did he do? Is he connected to the hated government, has he done things to rile people up? Or was he an innocent casualty, being on the wrong place at the wrong time?
Mob lynching like that is not pleasant to see, but we need more information.

Second video shows a man, wounded, possibly dead. Another man stands beside him, with a red cross on his chest. Is this man a paramedic? How do we know this paramedic DIDN'T try to help that man? How do we know no additional paramedics were called? Video looks like it's shot in the interior of some sort of shelter, tent maybe. How was the man brought there, when? Was he found already incapacitated or did he succumb to wound when in tent?
Again, we need more information to pass judgement.

As for other things - it is a mess, that's for sure. The fire in the square was massive. But it's as easy to say protesters used "Berkut" as an excuse to set the buildings on fire, as it is to say Berkut used "square fire" as a cover to set the buildings on fire themselves.
Same for gunshots. Lot's of reports flying around about people getting shot - protesters AND police. Some say police shot protesters, some say other protesters did and the same on the police side.
Media lying? Which media? Who should we trust and who we shouldn't?

I appreciate any sort of information anyone can provide. But jumping to conclusions and bashing without evidence does not help ANYONE.

Keep posting here, webber, it's ok to let your voice be heard. Just do it in more sensible manner.

Yes, I know that the videos are too short to judge properly, but that`s all I have for now.

That man is Alexander Bashkalenko, who was appointed as a governor of Volyn by government 2-3 weeks ago to replace the previous governor, who resigned when his administration building was captured by protesters. The building was recently recaptured, Bashkalenko refused to resign, the rest you can see in video.
He still refuses to resign and is still being held captive.

The Berkut officer was injured on Maidan, captured and carried to one of the tents, where he died. The guy with red cross is not an official paramedic, he is protesters` medic. I do not see any bandages on the wounded. There was an information that he was still alive when captured.
His commander tried to evacuate his soldier and came alone to the scene of Maidan.
They tried to introduce this like he`s arrived to surrender or to shift on their side.
That`s all I know.

And sorry, I cannot be much sensible when bunch of <censored> are burning my city.

Webber is not Russian, He is from Ukraine,  I am 95% sure

His rhetorics are same as any other pro-government citizen of Ukraine. Yanukovitch is bad but "nazies" (any free Ukrainian) are worse and stuff like that. Most likely he is from the East, maybe has relatives among police\government officials and so on. Good thing that he is a coward and will sit quietly at home whatever will happen next. (or maybe try to flee abroad) Mental slave, nothing more. He will believe anything his masters will order him to believe but will never risk his own skin to fight "nazies". One of the problems we'll need to solve after our victory is what to do with all that guys like that. We need no slaves, even if it is way to easy to force them to obey. Of cause we have no slightest intention to massacre them. Still I fail to see how to teach them to be free.

Badum-tss. This rethoric is also quite recognizable: "poor slaves of South-East", etc. Do I even need to comment this?
Also, I`m from Kiev.

Yeah, UR, people shouldn't call you a Nazi, but you shouldn't let yourself be provoked into personal attacks either. We know this is personal for you, but insults don't help with staying on topic.
Ahem.
I do not call the protesters Nazis to insult them.
I do this because they are nationalists.
They believe that their nation is superior to others.
They consider everybody who does not belong to their nation as sub-humans.
They have a "designated enemy", who is guilty in literally everything.
They have a simple solution for all their problems.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: February 20, 2014, 10:01:55 am »

What is this "Western media" you speak of?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: February 20, 2014, 10:04:47 am »

Not all protesters are nazis, not all nationalists are nazis either for that matter.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: February 20, 2014, 10:13:49 am »

You are right. Sorry for that, It's too hard to keep calm after a phone call that 3 guys I personally know are shot dead. I'll not visit the topic before the victory. If you do have questions to me - use PMs. Will answer if Internet will not be shut down by the government
I'm very sorry to hear that.

I do not call the protesters Nazis to insult them.
I do this because they are nationalists.
There are no doubts that the protesters are nationalists. At least part of the public here is very concerned about that. Still "Nazi" has a very limited and clearly defined meaning here in former Naziland, and is more or less always considered an insult. I understand that this is a very emotional situation for everybody who is personally involved, I just think it's best to try to keep the thread free of personal attacks, so it doesn't get locked.

The Ministry of the Interior has authorized the use of live ammo now, that is universally confirmed now.

Regarding snipers, yes protesters are armed too and have reportedly fired at the police. If you scroll down here, you can see an image that seems to show a protester with a sniper rifle.
Reporters have also seen and photographed police snipers though, and these seem to have killed most of the people who died at Maidan. That is what journalists and doctors report from Hotel Ukraine, which has also come under sniper fire. I have no reason to doubt that.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: February 20, 2014, 10:16:08 am »

Anyway, if Yanukovitch doesn't stand down and offer snap elections now, we're going to have Syria.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: February 20, 2014, 10:18:03 am »

Or maybe Cyprus...

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: February 20, 2014, 10:18:27 am »

Cyprus? What about cyprus?

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: February 20, 2014, 10:19:56 am »

As in, 'having' Cyprus instead of Syria. Just replace Turkey with Russia.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: February 20, 2014, 10:20:25 am »

Anyway, if Yanukovitch doesn't stand down and offer snap elections now, we're going to have Syria.

Even then, Crimea might very well become part of Russia.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: February 20, 2014, 10:23:16 am »

Russian television channel Rossiya 24 reported that state of emergency is expected to be declared in Kiev in the upcoming hours.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: February 20, 2014, 10:24:49 am »

Even then, Crimea might very well become part of Russia.

... again.

Russian television channel Rossiya 24 reported that state of emergency is expected to be declared in Kiev in the upcoming hours.

Some also say that the weaponry captured in Lvov from the looted army storehouses is delivered to Kiev, obviously for peaceful protest.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: February 20, 2014, 10:33:31 am »

The negotiations with the Foreign Ministers are over now. They have only commented that there is a "basis for progress". They are going to meet with the opposition now instead of returning to Brussels as was initially planned.

Russia has send a mediator too, who will be present at the negotiations.

While Russia condemns the protesters and the Western sanctions, some statements are interpreted as increased pressure on Yanukvych to find a peaceful solution.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 286