Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 305899 times)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Uprising in Ukraine
« Reply #390 on: February 19, 2014, 02:08:27 pm »

At today's session of the Crimean parliament, Nikolai Kolesnichenko, an MP from the Party of Regions declared that the Crimean parliament should be ready to raise the question of seceding from Ukraine and becoming a part of Russia if the confrontation between the opposition and the government continues (link in Russian).
To join Russia they need to become independent first, would be fun If Turkey would use  treaty of Treaty of Kucuk Kaynarca and annex Crimea first. 

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: February 19, 2014, 02:11:07 pm »

At today's session of the Crimean parliament, Nikolai Kolesnichenko, an MP from the Party of Regions declared that the Crimean parliament should be ready to raise the question of seceding from Ukraine and becoming a part of Russia if the confrontation between the opposition and the government continues (link in Russian).
To join Russia they need to become independent first, would be fun If Turkey would use  treaty of Treaty of Kucuk Kaynarca and annex Crimea first.
...unless Russian troops get there first.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: February 19, 2014, 02:21:45 pm »

Then we'll see how many countries recognize Crimea as Russian territory. And how many Crimean Tartars join Doka Umarov. Oh, and good luck importing freshwater, Abkhazia-like Crimea

Spoiler: slight derail. (click to show/hide)
I want them having exactly the same faces when Ukraine will go further away from Russian Influence after the victory over Yanuk

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: February 19, 2014, 02:26:53 pm »

can I start worrying about the impending world war 3 or not

cuz i have a bad feeling about this
._.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: February 19, 2014, 02:35:06 pm »

I am wondering.. Should I inform our glorious security forces about this dangerous neo-nazi terrorists or not
Spoiler: terrorists (click to show/hide)

WW3? With Obama in office? With permanently deeply worried EU? I think not. Even if Russia will nuke few Ukrainian cities tomorrow

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: February 19, 2014, 02:36:46 pm »

cuz i have a bad feeling about this

Civil war is looming on the horizon, but unless Russia and the West send troops to Ukraine, there won't be World War III.

(I hope so)
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: February 19, 2014, 02:38:23 pm »

WW3? With Obama in office? With permanently deeply worried EU? I think not. Even if Russia will nuke few Ukrainian cities tomorrow

The same Obama that nearly started WW3 with Syria?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: February 19, 2014, 02:49:10 pm »

Posting to watch.  I have a friend I need to check on...

Thanks for the updates, Ukrainian Ranger.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: February 19, 2014, 02:59:38 pm »

Yeah, WW3 is a vanishingly small prospect here. Although things could go very badly for Ukraine itself.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Kicior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: February 19, 2014, 03:07:27 pm »

Then we'll see how many countries recognize Crimea as Russian territory. And how many Crimean Tartars join Doka Umarov. Oh, and good luck importing freshwater, Abkhazia-like Crimea
How many countries recognize Abkhazia as Russian territory? Do Ruskies care? Desalination has it costs but I guess that it's cheaper than building a new naval base, isn't it?

I've heard that trade unions headquaters in Kiev have been set on fire during Berkut attack and ~40 people died and that weapons from captured arsenals are being transported to Maidan, is it true?
and slippedy sloppidy doo everything is made of fuck

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: February 19, 2014, 03:14:29 pm »

I am wondering.. Should I inform our glorious security forces about this dangerous neo-nazi terrorists or not
Spoiler: terrorists (click to show/hide)

I would inform Child Protection Services instead. If this is a recent photo, of someone having their kids roll wheels to build barricades in a dangerous hot zone, those people should be arrested for putting their small children at such a risk.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: February 19, 2014, 03:16:21 pm »

I've heard that trade unions headquaters in Kiev have been set on fire during Berkut attack and ~40 people died and that weapons from captured arsenals are being transported to Maidan, is it true?
The trade unions building was burning and opposition headquarters have been moved. I've read numbers of ~25 confirmed deaths. There were weapons seized, but if these are moved to Maidan is unclear. Might just be a rumor. Could also be difficult because of the police presence.

Yeah, WW3 is a vanishingly small prospect here. Although things could go very badly for Ukraine itself.
My guess for a worst case scenario is a civil war. But that would probably be cut short because neither Russia nor the West have any interest in a politically and economically unstable Ukraine, and would both withdraw support in that case.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 03:19:32 pm by XXSockXX »

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #402 on: February 19, 2014, 03:17:22 pm »

Well, BBC decided to end it's live coverage 17 minutes ago, for whatever reasons...though watching the livestream, things seem more calm compared to yesterday.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: February 19, 2014, 03:21:53 pm »

I've heard that trade unions headquaters in Kiev have been set on fire during Berkut attack and ~40 people died
Yep Berkut did set it on fire, but how many died there if died at all is unknown.

that weapons from captured arsenals are being transported to Maidan, is it true?
Widespread rumor not confirmed but very well possible

If this is a recent photo, of someone having their kids roll wheels to build barricades in a dangerous hot zone, those people should be arrested for putting their small children at such a risk.
Kiyv is safe at day, as long as you are not too close to barricades. It's a large city, and only one district is dangerous

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: February 19, 2014, 04:35:23 pm »

Opposition leaders have negotiated a truce with Yanukovych. That should mean that there won't be any attacks on Maidan tonight. Maybe there was pressure from Russia? Anyway, further negatiations, also with the EU Foreign Ministers are set for tomorrow.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 286