Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 306016 times)

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Events in Ukraine
« Reply #240 on: February 07, 2014, 01:02:59 pm »

This just in: A passenger unsuccessfully tried to divert an Istanbul-bound plane to Sochi. According to German media he is Ukrainian.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: February 07, 2014, 01:05:22 pm »

It was just a joke. I thought the smiley conveyed that meaning.

Old time hypocrisy in diplomacy. USA, EU and Russia all have their interests in new political elite of Ukraine. They accuse the other side of things they themselves do. Boy, do they like their diplomatic games.

Also scrdest I don't think FSB is kidnapping any guys in Ukraine :). By that train of thought we could find out that not even Russia is interfering with Ukrajina.

It's hard to tell Russians from East Ukrainians, but some of the opposition claimed some of the kidnappers were Russian. Of course, they have a vested interest in believing that, nonetheless the government doesn't have any accusations of quite that magnitude.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: February 07, 2014, 01:12:29 pm »

It's hard to tell Russians from East Ukrainians,
Not that hard. Very different accents. Russian from Eastern Ukraine is very different to Russian spoken in Russia. Accents can be faked by professionals but that is not easy

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: February 07, 2014, 01:12:54 pm »

This just in: A passenger unsuccessfully tried to divert an Istanbul-bound plane to Sochi. According to German media he is Ukrainian.
Got a link for the second claim? Huffpo and der Spiegel both say the flight originated in Ukraine, but I can't find anything saying the hijacker was or was not himself Ukrainian.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: February 07, 2014, 01:16:54 pm »

Got a link for the second claim? Huffpo and der Spiegel both say the flight originated in Ukraine, but I can't find anything saying the hijacker was or was not himself Ukrainian.
Here. (in German though)
Since nothing is officially confirmed, reports are still a bit unclear.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: February 12, 2014, 01:56:59 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Rather interesting flags can be seen on Ukrainian barricades :) Can anyone recognize the green one?
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 12, 2014, 04:17:50 pm »

It's great that it's the secular nationalist flag too. I've got it on my bedroom wall.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: February 12, 2014, 04:32:01 pm »

Owlbread, is your bedromm covered in the flag of every aspiring independent nation on Earth?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: February 12, 2014, 04:53:27 pm »

Owlbread, is your bedromm covered in the flag of every aspiring independent nation on Earth?

I aim for that, Sheb. Do you know how hard it is to get a reasonably priced flag of Karakalpakstan though?

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: February 13, 2014, 03:48:33 pm »

Are there any new developments in Ukraine? German media have pretty much stopped reporting.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: February 13, 2014, 06:04:29 pm »

It's great that it's the secular nationalist flag too. I've got it on my bedroom wall.
Who else could recognize it? :) Quite a lot of former militants of Ichkeria  found a safe haven in Ukraine. And there are not that kind of people to stay idle when stuff like that happens. There are there. I don't envy the riot police if they will meet armed veterans of the first Chechen War on the battlefield with real weapons.
I heard rumors, that I believe to be true, that some police snipers got warned by intentional near misses from "protester's" snipers.

Are there any new developments in Ukraine? German media have pretty much stopped reporting.
Oh, nothing new. Every politician pretends that nothing happens and discuss stuff like new constitution, elections and crap like that. As if we have no thousands of people on barricades in the center of our capital waiting for immediate changes.

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruin... has come to our family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: February 14, 2014, 01:45:38 am »

Unless that flag (and also the FSA flag - that one was also displayed) isn't just someone's idea of scare tactics... I'm not sure why you're celebrating.

Those people aren't your friends, unless you are also a radical islamist like them.

Actually, you should be fearing for your life. If those things are for real, it means that the grown-up terrorists have arrived and the probability of a catastrophic escalation is higher than ever. And in that event, you're liable to become collateral damage.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: February 14, 2014, 03:45:45 am »

Unless that flag (and also the FSA flag - that one was also displayed) isn't just someone's idea of scare tactics... I'm not sure why you're celebrating.

Those people aren't your friends, unless you are also a radical islamist like them.

Actually, you should be fearing for your life. If those things are for real, it means that the grown-up terrorists have arrived and the probability of a catastrophic escalation is higher than ever. And in that event, you're liable to become collateral damage.
Ukrainian nationalists and Chechen separatists are united by their furious hatred towards Russia. Hatred towards Russia brings a lot of different people and political forces closer together.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 03:47:17 am by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: February 14, 2014, 03:55:54 am »

Like the West actually. We have to thanks Russia for a war-free Western Europe over the last 60 years. :)

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: February 14, 2014, 05:03:01 am »

Radical Islamists don't use that flag. that flag would upset me.

The one who knows me better, knows that I am very anti-islamic. Seeing that religion as nothing more then huge long-time problem for humanity  (I ask to not start discussion on good\bad islam here. That topic is not for that)

a) I am ready to be collateral damage if that will be good for my nation. I am not saying I am not afraid of death but I am ready.
b) Nope, grown-up terrorists haven't arrived. They are busy following Doka Umarov and planning new senseless attacks on Russian cities
c) This guys, being real soldiers despise targeting non-combatants. As well as majority of Chechens. If you think otherwise you are fool that believes stupid Russian propaganda. If majority of Chechens would think like that and be that  bloodthirsty animals like Russian TV says Russia would see far far more than few attacks per year
d) Dangerous escalation is bad. War is bad, becoming Belarus and beyond is worse. 
e) Chechens are very bad enemies but they are good friends. I like having them on my side. I prefer to have guys who can fight back to massacre of unarmed Ukrainians if Yanukovitch is mad enough to go further.
f) Finally that shows that young Ukrainian nationalists didn't die for nothing fighting Russians in mountains of Caucasus during the first Chechen war. Twenty years later we get that help back.

Ukrainian nationalists and Chechen separatists are united by their furious hatred towards Russia. Hatred towards Russia brings a lot of different people and political forces closer together.
Furious hatred toward Russia? I think by that Logic allies of WW2 were united by furious hatred toward Germany?
We have an ongoing war against Russian Imperialism and remains of Soviet ideology. Sometimes it's cold. Sometimes not so. And as any war it has different sides. You may not believe it and I can't prove it. But I know for sure that at least a hundred of Russian far-rights arrived in Kiev to  join our side. That may be one way ticket for them. It's not hard for Russian intelligence to identify them and that means that coming home will be unpleasant
And Chechens are nice people. Dangerous, with weird culture and morals, but nice. They value freedom and honor above everything else. I respect them as a nation and not because they are enemies of Russia

Please,  don't be shy. Use "Ukrainian and Chechen separatists" here. We made the same "crime" as Chechens. Tried to live in our own home without Russia. difference is that we are partially successful. Now my nation is trying to turn that partial separation into a full one. Away from Moscow, away from Russian ideology, away from Russian political system, away from Russian economic dominance. That is not an easy task. I am not sure that we will be successful. But it is worth trying 
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 286