Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 306024 times)

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Events in Ukraine
« Reply #225 on: February 07, 2014, 06:55:01 am »

Yeah, nothing really surprising there. It is to be expected that the tone behind the scenes is somewhat different from any official statements. Disagreements between the US and the EU are not surprising either.
It's embarrassing for the US less because the embassador said "Fuck the EU", more because the conversation got leaked in the first place. They are now at the other end of a spying controversy and it seems hypocritical how they now blame Russia when they just got caught doing the same thing all the time.
Of course it's Russia who benefits from this, because tensions between the EU and the US are exposed to the public and because the self-righteous tone of the conversation plays into their "US is meddling in Ukraine" narrative.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: February 07, 2014, 09:14:29 am »

I should note the US accuses Russia of leaking that out.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: February 07, 2014, 09:17:47 am »

Yeah, which seems weird: if you have a bug on the ambassador's or deputy state secretary, why would you blow it up for so little?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: February 07, 2014, 09:18:43 am »

To make a point to the US's counterintelligence institutions?

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: February 07, 2014, 09:24:07 am »

Which is a bit hypocritical. Of course Russia leaked it, but the US would do the same thing if it seemed opportune. It's all a charade.

Yeah, which seems weird: if you have a bug on the ambassador's or deputy state secretary, why would you blow it up for so little?
They just publicly accused the US of meddling in Ukrainian internal affairs. This is what they use as "proof". To someone who isn't aware of how non-public negotiations sound, this may seem like exactly that.
And yeah, it makes US counterintelligence look bad.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: February 07, 2014, 09:32:16 am »

The New York Times says to reinforce claims that the US (and presumably other western governments) are behind the protests.

Plus it underscores the point I have made in the past that,while the US has technological expertise, there is some deep incompetence at work. Bit that is off-topic.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: February 07, 2014, 11:00:35 am »

Which is a bit hypocritical. Of course Russia leaked it, but the US would do the same thing if it seemed opportune. It's all a charade.
Well, until now they haven't! There's a certain code of conduct: You spy, but you don't embarass the guy you're spying on in public. It undermines trust in a way that spying doesn't.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

aenri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: February 07, 2014, 11:02:00 am »

Euromaidan fairytale

Once upon a time, on one small square in Kiev, these people have met:

- ambassadors of USA, France, Spain, Germany and Denmark
- secretary of the US Department of state Victoria Nuland
- US senators Chris Murphy and John McCain
- german Minister of Foreign Affairs Guido Westerwelle
- dutch Minister of Foreign Affairs Frans Timmermans
- High representative for EU foreign affairs Catherine Ashton
- former president of Georgia Michail Saakashvili
- polish member of European parliament Jacek Protasiewicz and former polish prime minister Jaroslaw Kaczynski
- czech senator Jaromir Stetina...

and together they accused Russia of interfering in internal affairs of Ukraine :)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: February 07, 2014, 11:12:01 am »

Nope, not gonna dignify that.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 07, 2014, 11:13:59 am »

Euromaidan fairytale

Once upon a time, on one small square in Kiev, these people have met:

- ambassadors of USA, France, Spain, Germany and Denmark
- secretary of the US Department of state Victoria Nuland
- US senators Chris Murphy and John McCain
- german Minister of Foreign Affairs Guido Westerwelle
- dutch Minister of Foreign Affairs Frans Timmermans
- High representative for EU foreign affairs Catherine Ashton
- former president of Georgia Michail Saakashvili
- polish member of European parliament Jacek Protasiewicz and former polish prime minister Jaroslaw Kaczynski
- czech senator Jaromir Stetina...

and together they accused Russia of interfering in internal affairs of Ukraine :)

Let me know when, say, GSG9 kidnaps a government official.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #235 on: February 07, 2014, 11:53:55 am »

Well, personally what I found silly in that article is how US official response was all like "hurrr, why you hating on us playing games in the background it's all them ruskies to blame."

Not saying I'm siding with Russia or really hating on US, but I just found that silly.

As for the actual phone conversation thing, I was just interested what people more affected by this crisis think.
As far as I can tell it's just one big sad mess and I feel for all who are unjustly mistreated due to it.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: February 07, 2014, 12:48:08 pm »

A adviser to Putin, Sergei Glazyev, accused the US of funding and arming protesters. He denounced the US as "unilaterally and crudely interfering in Ukraine's internal affairs", and violating a 1994 agreement. He said this gave Russia the legal right to intervene, not explaining further.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 07, 2014, 12:53:45 pm »

Well, currently it's all a game of "your meddling interferes with our meddling".

The one thing I always take away from leaked diplomatic conversations is the frightening impression that these people making important decisions are not all that much more competent than, say, we are. Clearly Bay12 should be given more political competences and a mandate to mediate in international affairs.  ;)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 01:02:50 pm by XXSockXX »

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: February 07, 2014, 12:57:59 pm »

Well, currently it's all a game of "your meddling interferes with our meddling".

The one thing I always take away from leaked diplomatic conversations is the frightening impression that these people making important decisions are not all that much more competent than, say, we are. Clearly Bay12 should be given more political competences and a mandate to mediate in international affairs.  ;)

If it happened, rate of 'suspicious accidents' happening to political figures would rise by 100%. 65% of those would involve magma.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

aenri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: February 07, 2014, 12:58:57 pm »

It was just a joke. I thought the smiley conveyed that meaning.

Old time hypocrisy in diplomacy. USA, EU and Russia all have their interests in new political elite of Ukraine. They accuse the other side of things they themselves do. Boy, do they like their diplomatic games.

Also scrdest I don't think FSB is kidnapping any guys in Ukraine :). By that train of thought we could find out that not even Russia is interfering with Ukrajina.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 286