Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 306041 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: Events in Ukraine
« Reply #210 on: February 01, 2014, 06:46:39 pm »

What leaders are kicking around in London at the moment? I always thought guys like that left for Russia. If they're really bad (like Idi Amin bad) they go to Saudi Arabia or similar.
Owlbread have you ever seen "The Last King of Scotland"?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: February 01, 2014, 06:48:25 pm »

I have and I loved it. Great film.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: February 01, 2014, 06:58:17 pm »

I have and I loved it. Great film.
Me too.

Yanukovych remains on sick leave. I suppose it could be true (I imagine protesters gaining ground against my violent rule might make me queasy, but I think he has a fever); but it seems unlikely.

Kerry and friends are particularly interested in the case of Dmytro Bulatov, the one who was crucified. Dmytro remains wanted both for information about his kidnapping, and the crime of attending protests. The Police officers dispatched to the hospital to arrest him were convinced to do otherwise by activists there.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: February 02, 2014, 04:23:28 pm »

So opposition leaders have apparently called for the formation of civilian self-defense forces.
I only have a German link (zeit.de) - does anyone have more info?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: February 02, 2014, 06:43:14 pm »

Charges against Bulatov were dropped and he has left the country for Lithuania or Latvia (depending on the source) to receive treatment.
That's about the only progress the Munich conference has made apparently.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 02, 2014, 07:08:12 pm »

So opposition leaders have apparently called for the formation of civilian self-defense forces.
I only have a German link (zeit.de) - does anyone have more info?
I like how our parliamentary opposition calls for civilian self-defense forces, weeks after Right Sector started to form ones

Well, Liberals* and Revolution is like impotents and sex. They will continue to negotiate, negotiate and negotiate some more

*modern liberals, liberals of the past were different
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: February 02, 2014, 11:13:28 pm »

PTW
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: February 03, 2014, 11:37:15 am »

Really, a peace-keeping conference in Munich is about as smart as taking a pen name of Adolf before running for Chancellor of Germany...
My little roguelike craft-centered game thread. Check it out.

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 03, 2014, 12:15:50 pm »

Yanukovych remains on sick leave. I suppose it could be true (I imagine protesters gaining ground against my violent rule might make me queasy, but I think he has a fever); but it seems unlikely.

Eh, I could see it. It's winter, he's old, and the situation has got to be stressing him out. A cold/flu under those conditions is quite likely, and if it's a flu it could even be life-threatening.

Not saying he isn't faking it, mind you. Just that him getting sick while all this is going on isn't all that far fetched.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: February 04, 2014, 07:55:26 pm »

Short report:

In fact there are nothing to report, everything is calm. Too calm I must say. Nothing but some bla-bla-bla in parliament happens. I doubt that it will remain like that for long, situation is getting more and more and will explode again sooner or later

I suspect that the government will act during the Olympics hoping it will be a major distraction for the Western media
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: February 05, 2014, 09:22:39 am »

I thought this was interesting. A Time magazine interview with the leader of Pravy Sektor.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: February 05, 2014, 12:15:35 pm »

Quote from: article
But on Sunday night, their leader Dmitro Yarosh agreed to give his first interview to a foreign media outlet. It was not so much an act of vanity as a political coming-out. He has clearly grown tired of being the movement’s anonymous enforcer.
I'd say he is one of the leaders. The only one who is public right from the beginning of formation of Right Sector.

Creation of the Right Sector was an initiative of "Trizub", Yarosh is a long time public leader of this group so he never was anonymous. So there are no point for him to hide, unlike other leaders. If anyone wants to create an expression that Yarosh is a head of revolution aiming to be Furher... that's a nonsense :)

Increasingly marginalized, the group has grown much more assertive and, in some ways, has started going rogue.
Huh? Marginalized? Comparing to what? Right Sector was created in November 2013 and since then it's popularity only going up
As for going rogue... "Right Sector" never subordinated to the official opposition. Yep, some coordination existed and exist but no more than that
"Right Sector" doesn't control all self-defense squads, majority are more linked with the opposition, Like, for example Afghanistan Veterans.

At the same time, Yarosh has demanded a seat at the negotiating table with the President. Once again, he was flatly denied. His ideology, it seems, is just too toxic to let him in the room.
Not exactly. Yarosh demanded a Maidan representative(s) in negotiations. naming himself as one of possible candidates. Mainly to oversee the negotiations not participate in it. People are getting tired of that system where "lords" discuss fates of "serfs" behind the closed doors. Negotiations like that must be public.

Pravy Sektor’s ideology borders on fascism, and it enjoys support only from Ukraine’s most hard-line nationalists, a group too small to secure them a place in parliament
Heh. Déjà vu. Heard that sooooooo many times about Svoboda few years back. So
I wouldn't be so sure. People are picking more and more radical politicians with every elections
Right Sector is not a political party and doesn't plan to become one. That doesn't means that minor far-right parties that participate in Right Sector will not try to profit from the events

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: February 06, 2014, 05:49:36 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6X8X0_ILJk

Just want to share this. The video is likely from early January when the situation was much more calm and solvable.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 05:51:08 pm by Ukrainian Ranger »

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #223 on: February 07, 2014, 03:09:11 am »

Ukraine crisis: Leaked phone call embarrasses US

So, any thought's on that? Anyone has any additional information?
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 07, 2014, 03:16:42 am »

Here's the video.

Edit: Just listened to it, and nothing big apart from the business with Klitchko and Yatseniuk, but it's hardly surprising the Americans got a favorite horse in there.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 03:22:56 am by Sheb »

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 286