Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 306052 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Events in Ukraine
« Reply #150 on: January 27, 2014, 05:20:49 pm »

I think Svoboda as a a party is a borderline political corpse now. I see no scenario in which Svoboda will get any real power.
Well that is what happens when your party preferences people of a specific ethnicity over others... You don't survive in modern politics by cutting off potential voters.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 27, 2014, 05:24:08 pm »

You don't survive in modern politics by cutting off potential voters.
I have a strong belief that party shouldn't adapt to voters, party should represent interests of some group

Besides Svoboda is dying because of cowardice of leaders of the party.

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 27, 2014, 05:27:25 pm »

Well if you take a hard stance on a policy, you can change peoples mind and convince them to eventually support you. Doesn't matter how unpopular the policy, public support can be gathered... If you take a hard stance against a group of people you will never convince those people to support you.
It isn't about adapting to the voters, but knowing that no good comes from attacking things that can't be changed.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 27, 2014, 05:35:01 pm »

If you take a hard stance against a group of people you will never convince those people to support you.
So you think - nationalists = against some group of people?
Well, you are wrong but I am not in the mood to start the discussion

Besides no party needs support of ALL people at most majority is needed. Or number enough to get in parliament if party has no ambition of full power
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 27, 2014, 06:03:31 pm »

Ranger, how would you run things if you were at the helm of Svoboda? What are your thoughts regarding the Rusyns?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 06:13:17 pm by Owlbread »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 27, 2014, 06:16:06 pm »

That is a very hard question, because decisions of that scale are not easy...

But surely I wouldn't call other nationalists provocateurs and government agents. I wouldn't shake hands with dictator on negotiations. I wouldn't agree to give up barricades for promises to release some of arrested. I wouldn't start a hysteria "Now, when we don't give up, there are will be thousands arrested"

Most likely I would get in relatively safe place and announce the current government usurpers and thus illegal.  Form new transitional government with whatever allies, raise armed squads call for army supports and go to the end.

What are your thoughts regarding the Rusyns?
Well that's a sub-ethnic group of Ukrainians. Minority of them call themself a separate nation. Of cause culture of such groups is to be preserved, autonomy or more is just not practical
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 06:28:16 pm by Ukrainian Ranger »

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 27, 2014, 06:48:00 pm »

Hmm okay before i read this thread i had no idea what was really going on down there, but you seem to have half a civil-war going on.

But im still mostly confused by the differing Parties on both sides. As far as i have gathered The Protesters consist of

Afghan War Veterans,
Students,
Ultras,
Right Wing People of all Couleurs
Liberals
The Orthodox Church

and apparently the Communists/Left Wing are also against the Government but not working together with the above guys.
So who exactly is representing the Government? Looks to me like its representing no one really since the Left, the Right and the Midst is all against them.
Could somebody explain to me against whom or what the Protesters are fighting exactly? I am a bit confused on that point.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 27, 2014, 06:58:12 pm »

from what I can gather, the government represents russians.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 27, 2014, 07:12:49 pm »

and apparently the Communists/Left Wing are also against the Government but not working together with the above guys.
Ukraine has no left parties barring marginal ones. "Communists" It's the guys who get votes using "we'll give you USSR back" mantra, enter the parliament, do nothing what left party should do , get money selling votes, say "We failed to get USSR back because there were too few of us. Vote for us again" and get back in the parliament. Life is good when your electorate are morons. Note I don't say that one who supports communism ideology is a moron, I say that guys who vote for that party are morons, Communist party of Ukraine has nothing to do with left ideology

So who exactly is representing the Government? Looks to me like its representing no one really since the Left, the Right and the Midst is all against them.
Government is supported by the ruling pro-Russian Party of Regions(if you ask me fascists but they prefer to call themselves anti-fascits )  + army of mercenaries + corrupted justice system

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 28, 2014, 05:01:05 am »

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 28, 2014, 09:18:53 am »

Hmm what about the Ukrainian Army? I haven't heard any mentioning of them so far.

And Mercenaries? Do you mean those Berkut guys?

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 28, 2014, 10:16:09 am »

By mercenaries he means the riot police (Berkut).

The army remains neutral so far. The leadership may be loyal to the regime, but the army is conscription based, so they are likely only going to intervene if things really get out of hand and they are probably not going to turn against the ordinary population.

With the resignation of the prime minister and the controversial laws regarding demonstrations dropped, it looks like the government feels pressure to give in to the protesters. So maybe it will all work out peacefully, if nothing goes wrong now. There was some talk about declaring the state of emergency, which could make things much worse, after protesters occupied the ministry of justice. Currently it looks like the government would rather negotiate though.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 28, 2014, 10:28:00 am »

And Mercenaries? Do you mean those Berkut guys
I mean all police, Berkut is just their elite unit

To illustrate, yesterday group of protesters in Kherson (Southern Ukraine) got attacked by "Titushkas" People used knives to defend themselves , several of attackers get wounded, one died today. SUDDENLY  those are police officers dressed in civilian and now guys who killed those thugs in self-defense will be jailed

With the resignation of the prime minister and the controversial laws regarding demonstrations dropped, it looks like the government feels pressure to give in to the protesters. So maybe it will all work out peacefully, if nothing goes wrong now. There was some talk about declaring the state of emergency, which could make things much worse, after protesters occupied the ministry of justice. Currently it looks like the government would rather negotiate though.
I see no point in this. Some (not all)  of the laws dropped? So what? They can vote for same or even worse at any moment. All who voted for that laws should be kicked from Ukrainian politics forever.
Resignation of PM? Cutting off small part of cancer tumor is pointless
That's my opinion, and that is the opinion of the guys on the barricades
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 10:30:16 am by Ukrainian Ranger »

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 28, 2014, 10:32:12 am »

And what about Crimea? I heard accidentally that the want to become a state of their own, with blackjack and hookers Black Sea and tourists.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 28, 2014, 10:40:10 am »

I see no point in this. Some (not all)  of the laws dropped? So what? They can vote for same or even worse at any moment. All who voted for that laws should be kicked from Ukrainian politics forever.
Resignation of PM? Cutting off small part of cancer tumor is pointless
That's my opinion, and that is the opinion of the guys on the barricades
Sure. These are just signs that the government is losing control and thinks it's better off negotiating instead of trying to end the protests by force. That seems like a good thing. Ideally that could mean getting rid of the government without bloodshed, if the protesters keep up the pressure and nobody on either side gets too nervous and does something stupid.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 286