Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 306072 times)

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Events in Ukraine
« Reply #135 on: January 27, 2014, 07:09:45 am »

In symbolism news, The Pope released two doves for peace in Ukraine; the doves were promptly attacked by a crow and a seagull.
Two of the doves were attacked, but there was more than 2. Pretty funny though.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 27, 2014, 07:10:43 am »

In symbolism news, The Pope released two doves for peace in Ukraine; the doves were promptly attacked by a crow and a seagull.
Does anyone else find this at least a bit amusing?

I can't help but imagine him making a stern face and thinking something along the lines of 'Dick move, birds'
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 27, 2014, 01:50:17 pm »

We will have a new session in our parliament tomorrow.  Situation should become much more defined
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 27, 2014, 01:56:13 pm »

Ukrainian Ranger, are you aware of the fact that your side of the protests is led by a Pit Lord who is fighting Jeebus over the fate of the Ukraine?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 27, 2014, 02:04:24 pm »

Pit Lordmaidan 2014!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 27, 2014, 02:06:20 pm »

Can someone translate that? I don't think machine translation has gotten to the point of being able to scan a picture for words...
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 27, 2014, 02:41:13 pm »

Can someone translate that? I don't think machine translation has gotten to the point of being able to scan a picture for words...

Red/Black: Banderovtsy (untranslateable in itself, except as 'Bandera's followers' after a certain Ukrainian Nationalist dude who is kinda liked in Ukraine for fighting for Ukrainian independence against (and IIRC for a period with) Nazis and Soviet Union, but he and the movement is pretty controversial (ethnic cleansing does that sometimes); the usage here is kinda like calling them Nazis except milder, or like insurgents with some pejorative connotations).

Blue/Yellow: The Nation of Ukraine (Yeeeah. Really subtle there.).

Saturated Orange: Administration Blockaded

Pale Orange: Policy of [something]. I don't really know the word.

We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 27, 2014, 02:53:04 pm »

I think the pale orange is, roughly, "Trying to Capture".
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 27, 2014, 02:54:34 pm »

Black and Red - Banderites
Blue and Yellow - the people
Orange - blockade of the administration buildings
Yellow - attempt of takeover

As you can see, this map was made by the opponents of Euromaidan.

In other news:
The parliament of the Crimean autonomy outlawed the nationalist party Svoboda on the territory of Crimea, urged the Ukrainian government to outlaw Svoboda in the rest of Ukraine and ordered regional police units to heighten up security measures at transport links between Crimea and the rest of Ukraine (link in Russian language).
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 03:00:29 pm by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 27, 2014, 03:20:00 pm »

EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 27, 2014, 03:43:48 pm »

So what happens if they are outlawed? It could get nasty...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 27, 2014, 04:07:01 pm »

PTW
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 27, 2014, 04:09:17 pm »

IIRC, several opposition-controlled regional assemblies in Western Ukraine have already outlawed the Party of Regions and the Communist Party of Ukraine. The Crimean government's move is possibly a response to that.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 27, 2014, 04:31:58 pm »

Ukrainian Ranger, are you aware of the fact that your side of the protests is led by a Pit Lord who is fighting Jeebus over the fate of the Ukraine?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What a subtle message being conveyed here.

Crimea is probably the most Russian oriented part of the Ukraine, so its not like they're affecting much. If Svoboda actually achieved power, they'd likely try to join Russia instead.

The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 27, 2014, 04:46:44 pm »

I think Svoboda as a a party is a borderline political corpse now. I see no scenario in which Svoboda will get any real power.
Victory of the Government: Outlawed
Fast victory of the revolution : Moderates will have reason to vote for radicals, radicals will vote for heroes of revolution
Splitting country in two parts: Outlawed\Marginalized in the Eastern part, Lose elections in the Western part
Any kind of compromise with the government: Reputation of Sellouts
Civil War: Political parties have no sense
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 286