Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 306087 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Events in Ukraine
« Reply #90 on: January 25, 2014, 10:33:06 am »

Yeah, in Eastern Europe the ultras are more like paramilitaries than sports clubs' fans.

Correction: in Eastern Europe, this distinction is pointless.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 25, 2014, 10:36:15 am »

Are these the people the Eastern European state governments refer to as "Hooligans"?

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 25, 2014, 10:40:41 am »

Yes. Here I think there may be some distinction between the terms (Ultras = hardcore fans, Hooligans = violent thugs), but for practical effect it's often pretty much the same, especially in Eastern Europe.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 10:44:39 am by XXSockXX »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 25, 2014, 10:43:33 am »

So western Ukraine sees widespread support for the cause, and in Eastern Ukraine it's just anti government paramilitary seeing an opportunity?

Anyway, there was talks of a general strike at some point. Did that end up happening?

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 25, 2014, 10:55:58 am »

So western Ukraine sees widespread support for the cause, and in Eastern Ukraine it's just anti government paramilitary seeing an opportunity?

Anyway, there was talks of a general strike at some point. Did that end up happening?

It seems to be moving eastward slowly.

Although, the thing is, a lot of the people in east Ukraine are ethnically Russian, mostly people who were sent there during the Soviet Union era and their children, and so are fine with the pro-Russian policy and they have been mostly supportive of Yanukovych for several elections, whereas western Ukraine is predominantly ethnically Ukrainian with some Polish minority mixed in at the far western side, who support EU and oppose Russia, and central Ukraine with Kiev is mixed, but favoring pro-Western policy.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 25, 2014, 10:58:20 am »

I've wondered about the general strike too. The opposition has called for one, but it's never mentioned to be happening in reports, so I guess it is not happening so far.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 25, 2014, 11:50:47 am »

Idea of general strike when
a) there are huge unemployment in country
b) There are no independent trade unions
c) Most people have no cash reserves
is borderline idiotic. Of cause it never worked
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 25, 2014, 01:02:52 pm »

Opposition (Arseniy Yatsenyuk) could get the position of prime minister.

Doubt if that will be enough to stop the protests. I'm not confident in the capability of the opposition to control the protest.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 01:05:18 pm by 10ebbor10 »

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 25, 2014, 01:13:00 pm »

Anyhow, most of the industry is located in the east and south, where people are, if not supportive, somewhat apathetic to Yanukovych and company. It doesn't help that the Oranges basically screwed the East over when it power, part of why Yanukovych has any support at all.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 25, 2014, 01:22:25 pm »

Opposition (Arseniy Yatsenyuk) could get the position of prime minister.

Yep. IMO That would be more than enough two weeks ago, but now.... That will be seen as a betrayal from Yatsenyuk and nothing more
As I read on one Ukrainian forum - What? 6 dead, dozens missing, hundreds injured = the price for a better seat for his ass. No way

More amusing news - Party of Regions is "outlawed" by two regional councils. I think someone is too hotheaded and overconfident... 
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Kicior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 25, 2014, 03:49:27 pm »

I think that Yatsenuk agreeing is the best option for Yanukowych - everyone will be "victorious" but some people wil accuse Yatsenuk of betrayal (the response will be probably "I agreed so no more people will get killed") other will be disappointed because everyone will be expecting too much and the responsibility will be shared.
and slippedy sloppidy doo everything is made of fuck

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 25, 2014, 04:58:31 pm »

German media report that Klitschko turned down the offer, also that munitions used against protestors were analyzed - apparently some anti-vehicle (!) projectiles were found, which is incinsistent with an intent to kill.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 25, 2014, 05:00:58 pm »

Just in, Yatseniuk declined the offer.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 25, 2014, 05:02:14 pm »

Idea of general strike when
a) there are huge unemployment in country
b) There are no independent trade unions
c) Most people have no cash reserves
is borderline idiotic. Of cause it never worked
It worked in Weimar Germany (forced an early fascist coup to flee the country in frustration), and hell they were even worse economically. That was called out by the legitimate government though, and Germans are, well, rule-followers.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Detonate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 25, 2014, 05:02:38 pm »

German media report that Klitschko turned down the offer, also that munitions used against protestors were analyzed - apparently some anti-vehicle (!) projectiles were found, which is incinsistent with an intent to kill.

Also, armor-piercing shotgun rounds fired into crowds of protesters in case someone needs a link. We're probably talking about the same thing, though.
Looks like that poison wasn`t good for their eyes at all.
I never thought I'd say this, but Nietzsche is just adorable.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 286