Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 244 245 [246] 247 248 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 304315 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread
« Reply #3675 on: March 24, 2014, 03:32:12 pm »

Your government thinks you're morons. Do me a favour and start WWIII already. Humanity's had a good run, it's about time we hand over this planet to jellyfish anyways.

The government needs to get young people insured so that the older population can be covered, even though it's not as much benefit directly to the young and young people often go without.  So they're trying to at least speak our language.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3676 on: March 24, 2014, 03:32:44 pm »

Uh, all I see is a bunch of stuff about obamacare.

Also, for some reason the text input is lagging on my iPad all of a sudden.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3677 on: March 24, 2014, 03:36:45 pm »

If we're going to hand over the planet to some animal, I'd suggest bonobos.
Bonobos are awful, and not likely to do much except die in a thermonuclear Russian rave. Jellyfish have many brains, and are sure to find a way to build civilization out of the radioactive ocean somehow. Crab people is an acceptable alternative.

So they're trying to at least speak our language.
If they're trying to speak reddit they have succeeded, and I still wish for the destruction of humanity if this is what our hegemony thinks the bright future is only capable of understanding.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3678 on: March 24, 2014, 03:37:22 pm »

Bonobos? They are just too busy fucking everything to do any kind of planet ruling, unless it exclusively involved fucking the planet.
Aside from the massive amount of sex, they're also known for having deep compassion for each other and strong social bonds.

They'd be the perfect hippie rulers.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3679 on: March 24, 2014, 03:38:18 pm »

Uh, all I see is a bunch of stuff about obamacare.
Presumably you missed the stuff about the American government only YOLOing once.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3680 on: March 24, 2014, 03:40:00 pm »

So they're trying to at least speak our language.
If they're trying to speak reddit they have succeeded, and I still wish for the destruction of humanity if this is what our hegemony thinks the bright future is only capable of understanding.

Also tumblr, and ... a whole lot of the young internet?  It's not about what we're capable of understanding, it's about using our language so that we feel more comfortable.  Of course we're all versed in speaking Old Powerful Mandude talk.  But our demographic is seldom discussed... it's usually the middle-aged folks with kids who count as "people," so they're making it clear that they're talking to us in particular, and care that we get the message.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3681 on: March 24, 2014, 03:42:20 pm »

I actually looked at the page and quite like it.

Don't be such a fuddy duddy, LW.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3682 on: March 24, 2014, 03:45:30 pm »

But our demographic is seldom discussed... it's usually the middle-aged folks with kids who count as "people," so they're making it clear that they're talking to us in particular, and care that we get the message.
And in the most insulting way possible at that. Might as well dangle car keys on the web page. I honestly do prefer speaking in English than poorly coddled macros, and I find this to be as eye-bleeding as that senator commissioning a doge meme because this keeps happening.

Don't be such a fuddy duddy, LW.
Epic

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3683 on: March 24, 2014, 03:48:39 pm »

I really don't think it's "the most insulted way possible."  It's coded language.  Too bad for you--this is our generation's slang.

EDIT: For reference, I've used a gif exactly once, and that was because it was appropriate to an essay I was writing.  This isn't my preferred mode of communication, either, but I respect it as an attempt at outreach.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3684 on: March 24, 2014, 03:55:08 pm »

I really don't think it's "the most insulted way possible."  It's coded language.  Too bad for you--this is our generation's slang.
Honestly I do prefer slang to this monstrosity, the weight of the American state somehow becomes all the more bearing when its public image is... Catz.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Somewhere along the line of history, this is the path we chose and we are all the more poorer for it. Every thought starts with language and this is the language without words, one without thought. But hey, fuzzy cheezburgers 2016.
I don't suppose I can hammer on my thoughts on this any more without dragging it through the mud; but this is the government of the USA. Have some decency dammit.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3685 on: March 24, 2014, 03:57:01 pm »

Because visual communication is inferior somehow o_O

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3686 on: March 24, 2014, 03:59:51 pm »

-snip-
That episode was awesome.

Also, Vector: Someone here said a similar thing about the doge meme. Something along the lines of "much annoy" being more compact than saying "I don't like that, please stop." Applying this idea to the concept of memes itself is very interesting.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3687 on: March 24, 2014, 04:33:40 pm »

Your government thinks you're morons. Do me a favour and start WWIII already. Humanity's had a good run, it's about time we hand over this planet to jellyfish anyways.

Smells a lot like the American Politics Megathread in here.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3688 on: March 24, 2014, 04:44:00 pm »

What the heck does obamacare have to do with Ukraine anyway?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3689 on: March 24, 2014, 04:44:56 pm »

Probably posted in the wrong thread.
Pages: 1 ... 244 245 [246] 247 248 ... 286