Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 306112 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Events in Ukraine
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2014, 07:56:28 am »

Sadly, agreements have to be made with the government, not with the people.
That is solved by recognizing some new group as a new government, isn't it?
And I guess that would happen if the government starts randomly shooting into the masses. They seem to be at least somewhat concerned about their credibility, otherwise they would not have apologized for that video of the police abusing a protester.
Doubt it actually. Not only is the opposition to divided for such a thing to happen, but I very much doubt the EU's capability to convince all it's member states to make such a statement.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2014, 08:12:46 am »

Are the regional governments independent of eachother or do they have a provisional government they now answer to?
We have rather weird situation.
Regional governments have two parts - one is elected at local elections another is appointed by president. With every year the ones appointed by the president got more and more power, turning elected mayors into nothing

Elected part of the regional governments is under opposition control by default, that's buildings of appointed governors are captured. Mostly that means that people recognize only elected local governments

While there are some talks about united provisional opposition government, one is not created.
Already an attempt has been made to create one, it's called "People's Council of Ukraine".
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2014, 08:16:02 am »

I consider this councils to be empty words as long as there are no clear" We are the only legitimate government of Ukraine" statement

Unfortunately leaders of our parliamentary opposition are cowards, they know that such words will force them to go to the end, whatever will it be
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2014, 08:23:07 am »

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2014, 08:33:17 am »

Doubt it actually. Not only is the opposition to divided for such a thing to happen, but I very much doubt the EU's capability to convince all it's member states to make such a statement.
At least currently the (parliamentary) opposition seems somewhat united. And it becomes less and less about the EU for them, the more tyrannical the government behaves. Looks like the masses are driving the opposition to act, so they will have to try to act united or they will lose control soon.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2014, 09:03:38 am »

Anyway, let's skip ahead for a moment. The oppositions goals are, IIRC, immediate elections and such. Seems quite similar to the demands they made after the 2004 revolution. Any arguments for what's going to be different this time?

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2014, 09:10:50 am »

This is a PTW. If I'll have something to say, I'll say that. Don't have a complete opinion for now.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2014, 09:19:38 am »

Ptw
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2014, 10:58:14 am »

Anyway, let's skip ahead for a moment. The oppositions goals are, IIRC, immediate elections and such. Seems quite similar to the demands they made after the 2004 revolution. Any arguments for what's going to be different this time?
IMHO it's too late for half-measures like that. Even if Yanukovich will say "total amnesty, cancellation of the new laws  and immediate elections" and opposition agree to that, the radical core of protests will say "No way!" He lied too many times to believe anything he may offer

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2014, 11:31:14 am »

IMHO it's too late for half-measures like that. Even if Yanukovich will say "total amnesty, cancellation of the new laws  and immediate elections" and opposition agree to that, the radical core of protests will say "No way!" He lied too many times to believe anything he may offer
So, what is the point of radical core then? I just don't get it. To me, they sound like "down with Yanukovich, then... fuck that, down with Yanukovch"

Also, I often hear something like: "Those Euromaidan-ers are paid to do so, blah-blah-blah". Even that I dislike the ugly way things went out in streets myself, when I hear something like that, I remember that episode from "Обитаемый остров" (Habited island, by Acrady and Boris Strugatsky), when Gai and Mak are speaking:

Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2014, 11:51:17 am »

So, what is the point of radical core then? I just don't get it. To me, they sound like "down with Yanukovich, then... fuck that, down with Yanukovch"
I think punishment of  everyone responsible for deaths and immediate resignation of Yanukovich  is the minimum to stop ongoing protests. Too many deaths for "OK, let's return to pre-protests situation and run elections"

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2014, 11:56:50 am »

PTW.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruin... has come to our family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2014, 12:13:01 pm »

I think punishment of  everyone responsible for deaths
Yanukovich is impotent, not retarded.
He would have realized that, if people were to get shot, there would inevitably be an escalation of violence. Which may eventually lead to him dying. So, he probably didn't give orders to shoot people.

And your people probably realize that, too. Of course, it's too convenient an excuse for an escalation to pass up, right?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 12:20:41 pm by Valikdu »

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2014, 12:16:02 pm »

I think punishment of  everyone responsible for deaths and immediate resignation of Yanukovich  is the minimum to stop ongoing protests. Too many deaths for "OK, let's return to pre-protests situation and run elections"
So... and who is going to rule the country meanwhile? Just promise that there will be no banners holding swasticas over Ukraine. Again.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 12:21:07 pm by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2014, 12:18:07 pm »

* Descan waves a tiny Ukrainian flag.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 286