Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 306021 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Events in Ukraine
« Reply #195 on: January 30, 2014, 05:03:30 pm »

Understand you don't get that sort of hazard pay if there isn't a damn good chance of you getting shot.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 30, 2014, 05:27:35 pm »

Well if there was a good chance the entire country could turn on you for supporting the wrong side once they are done with their revolution, you might want to save up some relocation money...

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 30, 2014, 05:49:13 pm »

Wonder if Yanukovych ate some polonium soup for lunch.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: January 31, 2014, 06:34:48 pm »

Exactly. When I  am saying that those guys are NKVD-like I am not exaggerating
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 31, 2014, 08:38:04 pm »

So a protest leader may or may not have been crucified recently.
What the fuck am I even reading...
Well if other nations are going to back the protesters, they now have the casus belli they needed.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #202 on: January 31, 2014, 11:00:16 pm »

So a protest leader may or may not have been crucified recently.
What the fuck am I even reading...
Well if other nations are going to back the protesters, they now have the casus belli they needed.

Don't tell anyone the next generation of world leaders grew up learning war and politics from Paradox. They might try to murder us all, before it's too late.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: February 01, 2014, 07:22:18 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 01, 2014, 03:48:12 pm »

So any news? Yanukovitch on his death-bed/open mutineering in the army/Russian invasion?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: February 01, 2014, 06:14:51 pm »

He probably fled the country.  Chances are he's in London right now, like a good many deposed leaders.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 01, 2014, 06:16:35 pm »

What leaders are kicking around in London at the moment? I always thought guys like that left for Russia. If they're really bad (like Idi Amin bad) they go to Saudi Arabia or similar.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 06:18:09 pm by Owlbread »

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: February 01, 2014, 06:25:36 pm »

So any news? Yanukovitch on his death-bed/open mutineering in the army/Russian invasion?
Apparently everything's going on as usual, and Yanukovich is still President of Ukraine. There would be a shitstorm in the Russian mass media if he had left the post or the country, and the Russian mass media (along with the Western mass media) are currently silent about that.

Recently, Russian and Western representatives attending an international conference in Munich have been accusing each other of exercising political pressure on Ukraine and meddling in Ukrainian internal affairs.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 06:28:17 pm by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: February 01, 2014, 06:29:16 pm »

He said: "The aspirations of citizens are once again being trampled beneath corrupt, oligarchic interests - interests that use money to stifle political opposition and dissent, to buy politicians and media outlets, and to weaken judicial independence."

replace oligarchic with corporate

my sides are currently crashing through several satellites on their way out of the solar system, damnit kerry

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 01, 2014, 06:32:37 pm »

I'd be tempted to say the corporate/oligarchic grip on power is stronger in Russia/Ukraine etc but it's more like the grip is more naked. I think the difference is that these guys are obviously gangsters who would kill your family if they had to (make you disappear etc), in the USA and many EU countries they wouldn't really go that far.

They'd encourage a war maybe (see Afghanistan/Iraq Wars and the fingerprints of corporate America are everywhere), but they wouldn't crucify you/shoot you dead in the street. The former Eastern Bloc is still a bit like the Wild West though where some pretty terrible guys can claw their ways to power without having to worry about all the old establishments we have in Europe and North America.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 06:41:04 pm by Owlbread »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 286