Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 306043 times)

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
Re: Events in Ukraine
« Reply #180 on: January 28, 2014, 04:36:07 pm »

Parts of eastern Ukraine are arguably Russian, too
Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
Historically speaking, not ethnically.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 29, 2014, 08:30:12 am »

Crimea is basically Russian now in terms of ethnicity, not so much Tartar. Anyhow, once you get into "historical ethnicity", especially with the Ukraine, then things get complicated, since a lot of modern Ukrainian land was claimed by Soviet-Ukrainians from other countries. Crimea was originally Tartar/Turkish but most of them are long gone and it is basically Russian now.

They aren't long gone. Unless you consider WW2 so long ago that it doesn't really matter, of course. Maybe consider that next time there's a Veteran's Day parade in the USA.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 29, 2014, 08:33:34 am »

Anyway, the parliament is now considering amnesty for everyone who got involved with the protests.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 29, 2014, 08:36:37 am »

If I was a protestor I wouldn't stop. The government is so weakened now they're basically giving them anything they can besides holding an election, keep going and the day will be won by the protestors.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 29, 2014, 05:29:50 pm »

So they admitted that they are holding hostages by passing the new "amnesty" law. If protesters pack and go home then they'll release arrested. *facepalm*

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 30, 2014, 12:34:08 pm »

So Yanukovych has called in sick.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 30, 2014, 02:18:22 pm »

That is worrisome news. When shit is about to hit the fan - He is sick\on vocation\has very important visit to some other country
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 30, 2014, 03:09:43 pm »

I found that quite funny when I heard it. I was just imagining Gaddafi calling in sick when the rebels were at his door in Sirte.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 30, 2014, 03:58:50 pm »

"No, sorry, I've been having this terrible headache all day, and I'm really not well enough to participate in a historical moment. Could we work out something tomorrow, perhaps? If it's all right with you, of course."
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 30, 2014, 04:46:15 pm »

Well, you wouldn't hang someone who has a mild case of the sniffles, right?

Seriously though, the media here interpret the general situation as Yanukovych increasingly losing control, with several powerful oligarchs withdrawing their support and siding with the protesters.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 30, 2014, 04:57:17 pm »

Interestingly, the one lesson we can take from this revolution/these protests is that violence can sometimes help very much.

Not always, though. And the same applies to the government, sadly.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 30, 2014, 05:00:04 pm »

Heard in news somewhere that bodyguard's prices grew in Ukraine up to 4000$ per hour, which is twice more than usual.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 30, 2014, 05:01:26 pm »

$4000 per hour? Wot?

...wot?

Who the hell can even pay that much? Oligarchs?

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 30, 2014, 05:03:08 pm »

Yep. And right now budyguard business is gioing up the hill right now. Guess why.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 30, 2014, 05:03:19 pm »

I knew I should've gotten into that gig.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 286