Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 305364 times)

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
Re: Russian intervention in Ukraine
« Reply #1740 on: March 03, 2014, 07:50:34 pm »

EU is apparently american now. What next? Australia will use Chinese soldiers to fight off the Indians?
Pft, they've been doing that all along.

Honestly I thought that was kind of the whole point of NATO. The US get's to be all warmongery without the Europeans bitching about it, and in return the Americans defend the Europeans.

Win-win situation really.
Yep, something like that. Plus the US get to benefit from EU's pansy-ish diplomacy. Good-cop bad-cop style.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: March 03, 2014, 07:51:22 pm »

It's win-win until the nukes come. Then it's lose-lose-nope, still lose-lose again, damn-it's losing all the way down.
._.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: March 03, 2014, 07:53:08 pm »

It's win-win until the nukes come. Then it's lose-lose-nope, still lose-lose again, damn-it's losing all the way down.
There are one little win. : Survivors will have a chance to build better civilization than this shitty one

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: March 03, 2014, 07:54:46 pm »

The nukes are unlikely to be used until it's a full-out extermination war precisely for that reason.

There are one little win. : Survivors will have a chance to build better civilization than this shitty one
The civilisation we have is pretty okay, actually. If you think Putin is bad, you should've seen Stalin.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: March 03, 2014, 07:56:58 pm »

I meant that NATO can't get involved because the NATO getting involved automatically means nukes and that can't be allowed to happen. So NATO cannot do anything in this situation. Unless they are suicidal.
._.

teloft

• Bay Watcher
  • We found the zirilid stream
    • View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: March 03, 2014, 08:00:15 pm »

Will there be an independent Crimea as there was an independent Finland?
Explain independent finland?
Finland was part of Sweden, then Russia, then Independence. Able to play a balancing game to keep both interests active. While this was still before the revolution, my history knowledge is mostly focused on the Nordic countries.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_Declaration_of_Independence
We found the zirilid stream

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: March 03, 2014, 08:07:31 pm »

I meant that NATO can't get involved because the NATO getting involved automatically means nukes
We have no precedent of direct war between two nuclear powers but we have a precedent of WW2 and chemical weapons. Hitler never used his stockpiles of chemical weapons.
Not that I think that NATO-Russian war is possible in the near future.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: March 03, 2014, 08:16:11 pm »

I meant that NATO can't get involved because the NATO getting involved automatically means nukes and that can't be allowed to happen. So NATO cannot do anything in this situation. Unless they are suicidal.

Nukes dont automatically start flying on their own, you know.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #1748 on: March 03, 2014, 08:24:16 pm »

The civilisation we have is pretty okay, actually. If you think Putin is bad, you should've seen Stalin.
This.
Or even before then. We're kinda in a golden age, at least the wealthiest countries are.

The nukes don't fly on their own but they'd be on a hair-trigger. Not nearly as much as in the cold-war though-- the reason why nukes were virtually guaranteed back then was because russia had this enormous goddamn army. There was literally no way the NATO could keep them from crushing in all the way to the Atlantic within two weeks.
So, nukes.
Russia actually signed the 'we'll never use nukes first' treaty & invited the USA to do the same; they didn't exactly fall for the trick.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: March 03, 2014, 08:27:05 pm »

I meant that NATO can't get involved because the NATO getting involved automatically means nukes
We have no precedent of direct war between two nuclear powers but we have a precedent of WW2 and chemical weapons. Hitler never used his stockpiles of chemical weapons.
Not that I think that NATO-Russian war is possible in the near future.
If you are optimistic, my friend, then we all should be, too.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1750 on: March 03, 2014, 08:28:30 pm »

There have actually been fewer wars in the past decade worldwide than there has been in any time period since... basically all of recorded history. Things are pretty shit sometimes, especially in some places. But overall things are actually pretty damn good, and hopefully getting better... at least if Putin doesn't spark WW3.

What worries me is the idea that Putin might eventually destabilize and anger enough people with his antics that he winds up creating a revolution in his own country... It's not terribly likely right now, but it could happen, and then we might have a huge problem, there's few things in this world as dangerous as a dictator that's being pushed out of office.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: March 03, 2014, 08:31:50 pm »

The nukes don't fly on their own but they'd be on a hair-trigger.

We wouldn't exactly be talking defcon 5 (probably defcon 3) but neither side would be facing an existential threat that could get the nukes flying.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

ibot66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: March 03, 2014, 08:46:03 pm »

Defcon works with 5 being the most peaceful and 1 being world war three.
Or four or whatever.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: March 03, 2014, 08:55:37 pm »

There have actually been fewer wars in the past decade worldwide than there has been in any time period since... basically all of recorded history. Things are pretty shit sometimes, especially in some places. But overall things are actually pretty damn good, and hopefully getting better... at least if Putin doesn't spark WW3.

What worries me is the idea that Putin might eventually destabilize and anger enough people with his antics that he winds up creating a revolution in his own country... It's not terribly likely right now, but it could happen, and then we might have a huge problem, there's few things in this world as dangerous as a dictator that's being pushed out of office.
I actually am beginning to think it's exactly the opposite. Putin is seeing these rebellions in a lot of states, both allied and not. He's also seeing similar dissatisfaction rising in his own country. I suspect this is as much to weave a unifying tale of an external evil threatening Russia in order to keep himself in power as much as it is anything else. As such, I fully expect to see Russia take Crimea in one fell swoop in order to claim victory, then the rest of Ukraine left to govern itself, being threatened by Russia and branded a rising Nazi power in the Russia media, to be eventually disposed if/when internal politics require another big victory to solidify support. It could extend his reign by at least 3 years.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 08:59:46 pm by alway »

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: March 03, 2014, 09:14:51 pm »

I was under the impression the man still has the majority of the population on his side, even in spite of having some very firm detractors.

It probably doesn't help that opponents of the Russian government or it's policies seem to have a strong tendency to be assassinated or imprisoned.
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 286