Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 305589 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Russian intervention in Ukraine
« Reply #1515 on: March 03, 2014, 12:35:58 am »

You know it just dawned on me, during the height of the protests UR would often mention that the media was down playing the events to make it all look a lot more minor than it actually was. I imagine for some more insulated from these events such as those on the eastern provenances, suddenly hearing that "Oh, by the way, the president has been over thrown and we are pretty much making up the rules as we go." might not go down so well.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: March 03, 2014, 01:11:59 am »

You know it just dawned on me, during the height of the protests UR would often mention that the media was down playing the events to make it all look a lot more minor than it actually was. I imagine for some more insulated from these events such as those on the eastern provenances, suddenly hearing that "Oh, by the way, the president has been over thrown and we are pretty much making up the rules as we go." might not go down so well.
That's part of the problem. Actually it's much worse, because the Russian-speaking Ukrainians who get their news from Russian media think that their government has been overthrown by fascists supported by the West and that Russians or Russian-speaking people might be threatened.
That's why correspondents report that people in Crimea, except for the Ukrainians and Tartars there of course, are happy to see the Russian army there.
Bridging that divide in perception and bringing the country together would have been a monumental challenge for any new government, without any external pressure. Now with Russian troops there...

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: March 03, 2014, 01:50:50 am »

And again, the government really fumbled. That (failed) attempt at the repeal of the language law was stupid with a capital S.

As for Lithuania, what if the scenario goes pretty much like Crimea? According to the DoS, it wasn't an invasion, it was a "uncontested entry". Are those covered by the NATO treaty? If the Lithuanian army shoot first, in a situation pretty much like this one, did Russia start it, or Lithuania? Again, if we find ourselves in a situation like this one, will we shoot first?

You'll find plenty of people of both side of the Atlantic (granted, mostly in Europe) arguing that this doesn't fit into the NATO treaty, and that we shouldn't fight for a small country of which we know little.

In the run-up to WWII, Czechoslovakia had a formal alliance with France and indirectly the UK. Didn't stop Hitler from calling France's bluff and get off with it.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #1518 on: March 03, 2014, 02:01:36 am »

NATO is a far cry from an informal alliance.

From wikipedia:
The key section of the treaty was Article V. This committed each member state to consider an armed attack against one state to be an armed attack against all states. This article has only been invoked once in NATO history: by the United States after the September 11 attacks.

They want us there? We're there, all of us, as we are obligated.
To not honor it is unthinkable. No really.
That's why it's a deterrent.

I'm glad Poland & friends are members now.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 02:05:18 am by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: March 03, 2014, 02:14:50 am »

I said formal alliance when referring to Czechoslovakia. Also, again, what if the Russian do a "cold invasion" like now? Is it an armed attack? Not a single shot was fired in Crimea after all.

And it's all fine and dandy for the NATO council to accept article 5 when it just means fighting a "War on Terror" against Al-Qaeda (I know NATO then took the lead in Afghanistan, but only in April 2003, well after the war started. Before that it was individual member states.) But I'm sure they'll think twice after shooting at Russia.

Moreover, we don't even need for NATO to do nothing. We just need for it to be a good enough possibility to tempt Russia into trying something. If Crimea was our Sudetenland, Lithuania could be our Poland. 

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #1520 on: March 03, 2014, 03:03:34 am »

Ah, my mistake on the formal bit.

Spoiler: wall of rambling text (click to show/hide)
tl;dr
NATO aint nothin to fuck with. (@sheb)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 03:29:46 am by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: March 03, 2014, 03:31:25 am »

Actually, I may be wrong about the French-Czechoslovak alliance. I heard it somewhere, but cannot seem to fact-check it now.

Anyway, I don't think we can really make progress, as there is no way to test our respective hypothesis. You say the NATO council would declare it an attack I say it would depends. Actually I believe that the balance of probabilities is that NATO would react, with intense lobbying from the whole Eastern European contingent and Western Europe dragging its feet.

But I believe it boils down to probabilities. Let's say the Latvians elect a far-right government that do some stupid stuff against it's Russian minority, like suddenly deporting unemployed non-citizens (It's a special status). Russia does a "cold invasion". How many Western Europeans would be willing to die to defend a government like that? How many will find excuses and try to wiggle out of their treaty obligations? How many will rationalize that NATO ain't that important to their security anyway?

Treaties are broken all the time. I wish I had your faith in my compatriots and other NATO member states, but I don't.

And as I said, we don't even need for NATO to do nothing in case of a Latvian invasion. We just need for NATO to look weak and irresolute enough to tempt Putin and start a war. And frankly, NATO is doing pretty well on the weak and irresolute front lately.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: March 03, 2014, 03:48:24 am »

Actually, I may be wrong about the French-Czechoslovak alliance. I heard it somewhere, but cannot seem to fact-check it now.
Don't you mean Poland?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: March 03, 2014, 03:52:13 am »

No, I read somewhere that France and Czechoslovakia had an alliance back in 1938.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: March 03, 2014, 04:01:57 am »

Probable Russian plan, as I see it:

If Putin really wanted to steamroll Ukraine with tanks, provided that he is as bloodthirsty and as willing to violate international law as some portray him, he would have sent them immediately after signing the intervention bill and ordered to open fire first. Right now, there hasn't been any reports of bloodthirsty Russian aircraft bombing Ukrainian bases, bloodthirsty Russian tanks crushing peaceful Ukrainians, bloodthirsty Russian Chekists from the bloody KGB torturing and hanging brave partisans from the Right Sector and so on and so forth. The most intense battle of this 'war' is Russian and Ukrainian troops engaging in a stare-down contest at Perevalny and other bases in Crimea. One may say that Putin is afraid of NATO and getting his ass handed to him by brave Ukrainian troops, but I think that he didn't intend to actually invade in the first place.

The pro-Russian Crimean government is currently heading towards seceding from Ukraine: among other things, they've created their own state security forces and now creating the Crimean military. Pro-Russian elements in the South East are also striving towards seceding. Without Russian support, they would be crushed by Ukrainian security forces and the Right Sector. The threat of Russia using its military forces to 'protect Russian citizens' provides them some cover to operate in the open without any repercussions from the Ukrainian government.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 04:05:02 am by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: March 03, 2014, 04:06:06 am »

Got unconfirmed info why commander of our navy switched sides - Russians kidnapped his family. Unconfirmed but knowing biography of  "prime minister" of Crimea I think it is very likely

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #1526 on: March 03, 2014, 04:07:12 am »

@sheb
Firstly, Russia getting it's troops in-place for a 'cold invasion' would raise some flags, and holy shit would it become a hornet's nest at that point.

Say they don't though, and they get enough men situated on the border/ready to invade and go in quietly.
They won't stay quiet long- latvian troops would confront them because 'what the hell are you doing here?'- they're a NATO member and everyone else /will/ be backing them up. Nono, they /will/, because even if western europe tries to drag it's feet, (in-spite of NATO's status as sacrosanct being of the highest priority regarding their national security-- it's germany's & france's protection just as much as latvia's), the USA has it's face/reputation so absolutely bound up with enforcing the NATO they'll bring more than a hot iron with them to force compliance.
So not only would the invasion be bloody, (not cold), but it won't even get to that point without everyone noticing and readying their best fighting words & machines.

If Russia got it's jimmies rustled about latvia being a massive prick, they'd exert pressure on us & we'd likely exert an assload of pressure on latvia. Because we have the leverage of the NATO and holy crap all that regional economic power, latvia would listen or else.

The NATO does not get broken.

How is it looking weak? Presenting a unified front on foreign relations? Is that a stipulation of the treaty?

-czech treaty
ah, it appears no.
I guessed from this that there was, and mixed it with what I recollected, but looking at the Munich agreement that section refers to reveals there was no alliance.

-e
replaced lithuania with latvia
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 05:43:19 am by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: March 03, 2014, 04:10:30 am »

Got unconfirmed info why commander of our navy switched sides - Russians kidnapped his family. Unconfirmed but knowing biography of  "prime minister" of Crimea I think it is very likely
Well that is a formula for loyalty. As soon as his family is either rescued or killed he is going to once again turn coat, assuming this is true. It does sound a little like the plot of a James Bond movie... Personally I would have just bribed the man, so much easier, so much more reliable.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: March 03, 2014, 04:26:46 am »

Russian Stock market index got -9.5% today and falling.   I wonder why?
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: March 03, 2014, 04:30:27 am »

Russian Stock market index got -9.5% today and falling.   I wonder why?
Olympics are over. Meaning fewer tourists and therefore less commerce.
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 286