Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 305734 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Russian intervention in Ukraine
« Reply #1335 on: March 02, 2014, 09:19:37 am »

Personally as a Russian I think our government has finally gone insane from the extreme heat in this month. There's no rational explanation for these extremely aggressive actions. Even USSR would not just invade a country for such a weak reason.

So, who do you think will be the next leader in Russia?
._.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: March 02, 2014, 09:21:00 am »

Sounds like you do not know.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: March 02, 2014, 09:25:00 am »

Also, I am no nationalist, unlike some former members of a certain far-right party. Your three percent are unlikely to help you.
Or are the accusations of nationalism only because it's barbaric mongol Russia going to war, and not some more democratic country? If so, tractum your cranium out of your recrum, please.

I just love how you can look past invading a country just because you're the ones doing it. Good thing your KGB didn't allow the Crimeans representatives a chance to self determine before you occupied it, or you might actually have to find out that not everyone thinks Glorious Russia is the savior.
I look past it because it's about time, and twenty years is enough. Do you think the actual nationalists in Kiev would have waited for Crimea to declare independence, or left it alone when it did? It is clear that remaining with Ukraine is the worst thing for Crimea. That is avoided. It is entirely possible that if Crimea declares that it wants Russia to bugger off, the UN will pressure Russia into retreating.
And we have no KGB anymore, bro. Even if we had, no pressuring would be necessary.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: March 02, 2014, 09:25:00 am »

Putin again. Then Putin. And after either Putin, or Putin's mummy. :p

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #1339 on: March 02, 2014, 09:26:32 am »

eastern ukrain
Is Crimea even considered a part of Eastern Ukraine?

Also, how is Eastern Ukraine doing? All the talk is over Crimea, but during Maidan the East was much more passive than the West.

The simple reason that russia is doing this tells me that there is big pro russian feel from the people in that region.
We have yet to see how big the Pro-Russia sentiment actually is. It sounds like it's only been a tiny fraction of the population given the political history tidbit from UR.

Russian can swallow that part of ukraine, but it will not be able to digest it if it doesn't have support from normal people.
Pretty sure Russia hasn't cared about that in a really long while.

And by "the government that pissed them off" I mean the government based in Kiev. Nobody is upset about Yanuk being gone because nobody liked him. Anywhere.
But the government in Kiev is basically new even if it has some old faces spitting new-ish rhetoric. Everything before them was under Yanukovich. How can a new government piss off Crimeans for 20 years?

I just love how you can look past invading a country just because you're the ones doing it. Good thing your KGB didn't allow the Crimeans representatives a chance to self determine before you occupied it, or you might actually have to find out that not everyone thinks Glorious Russia is the savior.
But Mict... they did?
I wonder if Crimeans will try and oust the Crimean representative if he doesn't speak rightly for the region.

Also, new plan. US should support the tiny Pro-51st-State political movement in Australia, let them take power of part of the country and then park our troops there because they asked for us.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: March 02, 2014, 09:31:04 am »

But Mict... they did?

Aksyonov was voted in by the Crimean parliament on Thursday after pro-Russia gunmen seized the building and as tensions soared over Crimea's resistance to the new authorities in Kiev, who took office this week.

Occupying the place and ousting the representatives. Replaced with puppet in minutes.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: March 02, 2014, 09:32:56 am »

Gotcha. Didn't know about that particular detail.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: March 02, 2014, 09:34:26 am »

But Mict... they did?

Aksyonov was voted in by the Crimean parliament on Thursday after pro-Russia gunmen seized the building and as tensions soared over Crimea's resistance to the new authorities in Kiev, who took office this week.

Occupying the place and ousting the representatives. Replaced with puppet in minutes.

Sound exactly like what happened in kiev.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: March 02, 2014, 09:37:21 am »

But Mict... they did?

Except the protests were conducted over a far longer period of time, always stated that they wanted rid of Yanukovich and wouldn't have stormed or seized anything if Yanukovich stepped down. Instead, he left and a provisional government was put into place in the interim before elections.

This happened in a very short time span, didn't give anyone a chance to step down, and there is no provisional government, just a Pro-Russian guy.

Yep. Exactly the same.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: March 02, 2014, 09:37:56 am »

I look past it because it's about time, and twenty years is enough. Do you think the actual nationalists in Kiev would have waited for Crimea to declare independence, or left it alone when it did? It is clear that remaining with Ukraine is the worst thing for Crimea. That is avoided. It is entirely possible that if Crimea declares that it wants Russia to bugger off, the UN will pressure Russia into retreating.
And we have no KGB anymore, bro. Even if we had, no pressuring would be necessary.

I love this.

Do you think the actual nationalists in Kiev would have waited for Crimea to declare independence, or left it alone when it did? It is clear that remaining with Ukraine is the worst thing for Crimea. That is avoided.

I see, so Russia [more specifically the Kremlin] is the final arbiter of what regions deserve to be in which nation states. I just love imperialism.

Hint: You're the ones stopping Crimea from declaring independence at this point, if you hadn't occupied the building and replaced them with KGB plants they might already be able to have some sort of viable debate on independence.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 09:39:56 am by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: March 02, 2014, 09:39:18 am »

You know, Russia could have used that thing called diplomacy. But nooooo.
._.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: March 02, 2014, 09:41:06 am »

Putin doesn't need diplomacy when he can go toe-to-toe with Chuck Norris.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: March 02, 2014, 09:42:11 am »

You know, Russia could have used that thing called diplomacy. But nooooo.
Like - Gather UN security council, provide proofs that Russians in Crimea are in danger and ask for UN mission  to enter it and initiate referendum under their supervision.

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: March 02, 2014, 09:44:44 am »

So I guess the thing to do is just park NATO forces in Kiev because it's always better to do shit first without asking about it at the UN Security Council because it'll get insta-veto'd anyway? Like Russia was doing for any sort of UN response in Ukraine?

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: March 02, 2014, 09:46:01 am »

But Mict... they did?

Yes, only here the gunmen actually occupied the Parliament building instead of loitering around for several weeks, ruining large portions of the city.

Is it not suspicious that no government troopers rushed to stop them, oy? Maybe even the armed forces do not want to fight now?

Yes, it could have used diplomacy. Except for the fact that everybody ignores Russia until it starts growling at people. It's traditional.

And mict, at least it's more competent an arbiter than the government in Kiev. Which was put into place after an armed revolt. You seem so intent on believing that nobody likes Russia in Crimea enough. Where are you from, I wonder?
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 286