Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 306068 times)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Events in Ukraine
« Reply #105 on: January 25, 2014, 05:10:20 pm »

http://24tv.ua/home/showOnline.do?lang=ru

Rather hot action right now. Riot police was asked to leave the building, they refused....

Or, of cause, here - http://espreso.tv/stream
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 05:17:40 pm by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 25, 2014, 05:47:06 pm »

How do you guys get such immediate news? Bleh.

NY times front page picture today:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 25, 2014, 05:53:09 pm »

I imagine them swimming across the scene on the podium thingy, minding their own business.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 25, 2014, 05:56:06 pm »

I read about those guys - what happened to them?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 03:53:53 pm by Helgoland »
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 25, 2014, 06:07:43 pm »

I imagine them swimming across the scene on the podium thingy, minding their own business.
I like how the cross has some neon thingie around it. It's a nice touch.

Also, they vaguely remind me of the three Therns from John Carter

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 25, 2014, 06:44:35 pm »

Rather hot action right now. Riot police was asked to leave the building, they refused....

Ukraine - the only country in the world where protesters can boss around the riot police.
If Berkut got suddenly replaced by Belarusian OMON, the Euromaidan would end a few hours later. Be glad that you are not in Belarus, Ukrainian Ranger.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 06:51:54 pm by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 25, 2014, 06:51:52 pm »

Ukraine - the only country in the world where protesters can boss around the riot police.
If Berkut got suddenly replaced by Belarusian OMON, the Euromaidan would end a few hours later.
Only if they use assault rifles. Belarussian OMON never met any actual resistance what makes you thing they are trained enough?  Berkut looked like Rembos  against teenagers, too

If Bertkut would be replaced with German, French, British, Polish or whatever EU country riot police then I would be worried, because they have both training and practice. But then protestors would be arrested in a proper way not stripped and beaten

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 25, 2014, 06:57:51 pm »

Any report on casualties, injuries, and arrests? Looking for numbers for both pro and anti government forces.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 25, 2014, 07:06:12 pm »

If Berkut got suddenly replaced by Belarusian OMON, the Euromaidan would end a few hours later.
Only if they use assault rifles. Belarussian OMON never met any actual resistance what makes you thing they are trained enough?  Berkut looked like Rembos  against teenagers, too

If Bertkut would be replaced with German, French, British, Polish or whatever EU country riot police then I would be worried, because they have both training and practice. But then protestors would be arrested in a proper way not stripped and beaten
Still, the Belarusian OMON wouldn't just stand around like Berkut. Plus, they've handled big opposition rallies in the 1990s.
Berkut spends most of the time standing in one spot looking at protesters while getting pelleted with stones, fireworks and Molotov cocktails. Occasioooonally they beat the opposition back for about 50 meters, only to stand still again after that.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 07:08:13 pm by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 25, 2014, 07:18:11 pm »

Looking for numbers for both pro and anti government forces.
Wikipedia is good enough for that purposes and updates regularly  - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euromaidan

Plus, they've handled big opposition rallies in the 1990s.
There were Molotovs and organized squads? Doubt it

Occasioooonally they beat the opposition back for about 50 meters, only to stand still again after that.
They beat opposition back, get counterattacked and retreat

I suspect we may see  OMON in action rather soon.   It looks like humanity got some kind of  "revolutionary virus"  it started with Arab Spring and finally got here from Turkey (across the Black Sea) Some neighbor is next. Why not Belarus?
Half-joking here

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 26, 2014, 03:53:41 am »

Could we please stop the "My riot police are better (worse) than your riot police" thing while its young.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 26, 2014, 05:52:25 am »

BTW, I want to explain why riot police has a very hard time.

Core of the radical protesters consist of

1) Afghanistan Veterans: "Union of  Afghanistan veterans and Chernobyl disaster liquidators " Is one of the largest and most organized non-governmental organizations and they are pissed by the government
2) Football Ultras. While fans of some clubs are joining only now, some where there  right from the beginning
3) Various paramilitary nationalist and anarchist  organizations. Includes veterans of various early 1990s wars (Chechnya, Abkhazia, Transnistria and so on)
4) "Cossacks"  Can be described as hardcore historical reconstructors who practice fencing, tricks with real sabers and stuff like that
5) Former police and army officers who were fired during the recent years

All that force organized in hundreds . There are system of rotation, there are reserves, there are intelligence and counterintelligence. There are guys who know a thing or two about military style fortifications.

There are no real weapons stashed. In the same way as there are no nuclear weapons in Israel

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 26, 2014, 07:21:30 am »

BTW, I want to explain why riot police has a very hard time.

Core of the radical protesters consist of

1) Afghanistan Veterans: "Union of  Afghanistan veterans and Chernobyl disaster liquidators " Is one of the largest and most organized non-governmental organizations and they are pissed by the government
2) Football Ultras. While fans of some clubs are joining only now, some where there  right from the beginning
3) Various paramilitary nationalist and anarchist  organizations. Includes veterans of various early 1990s wars (Chechnya, Abkhazia, Transnistria and so on)
4) "Cossacks"  Can be described as hardcore historical reconstructors who practice fencing, tricks with real sabers and stuff like that
5) Former police and army officers who were fired during the recent years

All that force organized in hundreds . There are system of rotation, there are reserves, there are intelligence and counterintelligence. There are guys who know a thing or two about military style fortifications.

There are no real weapons stashed. In the same way as there are no nuclear weapons in Israel

Oh yeah, protesters recently captured a police-held building in Kiev, they found live ammo on the roof.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 26, 2014, 02:50:24 pm »

The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 26, 2014, 03:09:02 pm »

Translation (from upper left):

Warrior, Ranger, Alchemist, Mage

Engineer, Elemental, Paladin, Priest

Bard, Barbarian, Rogue, Monk
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 286