Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 26

Author Topic: Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor  (Read 48941 times)

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
Re: Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor
« Reply #270 on: October 12, 2014, 03:13:06 am »

Interesting article I came across, discussing NPCs and their use: http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2014/10/real-human-beings-shadow-of-mordor-watch-dogs-and.html
He makes some good points, but then he veers straight into SJW territory, with how the branding ability is the evil white male enslaving the proud PoC who did nothing wrong. Fucking seriously.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: October 12, 2014, 03:42:10 am »

You're kind of misphrasing what he said, and also branding him as the enemy ('SJW' has gotten to be a pretty toxic slur) for an article which strongly praises the game?
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: October 12, 2014, 03:52:14 am »

"A number of critics, including Anita Sarkeesian, have taken this game system to task for the way it encourages the player to let a crime—often violence against a woman—begin before stepping in. All of these NPCs have identities, but their purpose—even in suffering—is to puff up the player’s sense of strength and power."

"The fantasy isn’t fixing the system, it’s giving a gun to another white man. And it’s broken, and I feel broken for loving it."

"In Mordor, the “evilness” of the Orcs serves a clear purpose: it attempts to justify the horrific behavior of Talion, who spends the latter half of the game using his ghostly powers to enslave Orc after Orc. "

"This is worse because of the problematic nature of Lord of the Rings’ Orcs. “Look at them,” says Talion to his ghost-friend, “Vile savage beasts.” The ghost replies, his imperialism dressed up as spirited determination, “And we shall command their savagery.” We are reminded again and again of their innately “evil” nature. They hate civilization. They hate beauty. One of the Orc captains I fight has the title “The Literate One”—the joke of course is that these dark savages don’t even read. It’s unavoidable: the characterization of “Orkish” society is caught up in a history of white, European military and cultural colonialism, with narratives of the “dark continent” and the “mysterious east.”"

"In this way, the system that seemed to undermine the stale power-fantasy of AAA action games has instead simply replaced it with an even more problematic fantasy. "

"Boo boo, shadow of mordor is about the evil imperialist white man enslaving the proud people of color who did nothing wrong." No. Fuck off. Stick to your valid points and don't bring your politics in gaming.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Full Sig

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: October 12, 2014, 04:04:59 am »

don't bring your politics in gaming.

This is never going to be a thing - even refusing to take a stance on 'politics' is a type of political stance.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: October 12, 2014, 04:51:08 am »

There's a difference between having an opinion on how a game handles things and blatantly connecting two barely related things just to rant about politics with the context of games.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: October 12, 2014, 05:02:02 am »

You can't deny Orcs are People of Color. There's dark greens, sickly pale greens, greyish greens, lime greens...
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: October 12, 2014, 05:17:30 am »

I really really like the game and the Nemesis system, but:

There is something really weird about this game's story and the actions you take in it. Everyone seems to praise Talion as an honorable man and being completely in the right with everything he does. What he actually does is infiltrating a huge society and murdering everyone in cold blood. He even takes great pleasure in figuring out the fears of his victims and killing them while they are absolutely terrified and running away. Or instead of murdering, he enslaves them, with the possibility of killing them at any time.

If anyone knew what Talion is actually doing, no one would speak of him as a hero. He's an insane, sadistic, vengeful angel of death and clearly not at all a "good guy". He just happens to be destroying the evil race.

I'm not saying anything about the possible political implications of this, but just in terms of the game's story, it's super weird.

"Boo boo, shadow of mordor is about the evil imperialist white man enslaving the proud people of color who did nothing wrong." No. Fuck off. Stick to your valid points and don't bring your politics in gaming.

Not having anything to do with politics makes games a lot less interesting field of entertainment. Thinking about the implications that game stories and worlds have on the real world can make them a lot more interesting and make people think about something after they stop playing.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 05:22:22 am by LASD »

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: October 12, 2014, 05:27:29 am »

How vital to the plot did Gollum end up being?

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: October 12, 2014, 05:29:35 am »

There is something really weird about this game's story and the actions you take in it. Everyone seems to praise Talion as an honorable man and being completely in the right with everything he does. What he actually does is infiltrating a huge society and murdering everyone in cold blood. He even takes great pleasure in figuring out the fears of his victims and killing them while they are absolutely terrified and running away. Or instead of murdering, he enslaves them, with the possibility of killing them at any time.

If anyone knew what Talion is actually doing, no one would speak of him as a hero. He's an insane, sadistic, vengeful angel of death and clearly not at all a "good guy". He just happens to be destroying the evil race.

I'm not saying anything about the possible political implications of this, but just in terms of the game's story, it's super weird.

Not having anything to do with politics makes games a lot less interesting field of entertainment. Thinking about the implications that game stories and worlds have on the real world can make them a lot more interesting and make people think about something after they stop playing.

'Course, he did have his wife and child brutally murdered then had himself murdered after being cursed with up death so he can never go to heaven or whatever that place LOTR people go to to meet up with his family again.

Not denying the guy is a f'ing physcopath, but i think that sequence of events would put a touch of a bias on your future actions.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: October 12, 2014, 05:33:55 am »

It makes me mad that people are just pointing at basically every piece of popular fiction available and saying "THIS IS OPRESSION".

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: October 12, 2014, 05:44:49 am »

It makes me mad that people are just pointing at basically every piece of popular fiction available and saying "THIS IS OPRESSION".
Why does this make you mad? Why can't you just let them have their free speech in peace instead of wanting to silence them?  ???
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: October 12, 2014, 05:47:23 am »

Sure, a violent vigilante on a quest for bloody revenge is not going to be a completely good guy, especially when he uses mind controll. But he still has the moral high ground compared to the orcs. Sure he's mind controlling them, but the orcs enslave, torture, kill and eat humans -and each other- for funsies. Also they're mooks for the unequivocally evil Dark Lord Sauron. And the Gondor and Mordor, the respective countries for which Talion and the orcs are soldiers, are at war.
In the end, the only morally grey thing Talion does is using mind control.

There's the developper making a game to make the players think about RL stuff (say Deus Ex), and then there's the "journalist" forcing RL stuff upon a game that had nothing to do with it to begin with (like racism in a game about killing orcs in middle earth). The first is cool, but the second is downright awful.
I like my game to be completely removed from any RL controversies. That's why I'm playing them in the first place. When I want to think and debate about RL issues, I'm not going to play fraking video games, I'm going on news websites.

Why does this make you mad? Why can't you just let them have their free speech in peace instead of wanting to silence them?  ???
Because they are loud and annoying and theey want to shut down everything that trigger them. They are against free speech. They want to silence people. It's "gaming is satan" all over again.
Full Sig

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: October 12, 2014, 05:49:48 am »

Because they are loud and annoying and theey want to shut down everything that trigger them. They are against free speech. They want to silence people. It's "gaming is satan" all over again.
Yes, they are extremely loud.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: October 12, 2014, 05:53:44 am »

'Course, he did have his wife and child brutally murdered then had himself murdered after being cursed with up death so he can never go to heaven or whatever that place LOTR people go to to meet up with his family again.

Not denying the guy is a f'ing physcopath, but i think that sequence of events would put a touch of a bias on your future actions.

Fair enough. He's practically Max Payne in Middle-Earth, but Max was only a hero in the way that he was the main character. Max also went intentionally on a murderous rampage, killing irredeemable junkies, and still wasn't anywhere close as vicious with his enemies as Talion.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 06:01:53 am by LASD »

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: October 12, 2014, 06:56:10 am »

Yeah, Shadow of Mordor's story is actually really damn dark and IMO it's clearly a case of evil versus evil.

Shadow of Mordor is basically the fantasy equivalent of Spec Ops: The Line. You think you're playing a hero but you're actually not. Only this game isn't nearly as ham-fisted about the whole thing and doesn't beat you over the head with its message.

All of this of course goes right over the heads of the vast majority of people who play the game. "We're a generic fantasy hero killing generic fantasy orcs, yay!"
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 06:59:14 am by Sordid »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 26