Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 26

Author Topic: Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor  (Read 48966 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor
« Reply #150 on: October 02, 2014, 04:58:08 pm »

Ohhhh yes, I wanna get this game. PTW.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 02, 2014, 05:01:35 pm »

I want a mod that allows a powerlevel max of 50, not just 20. It would be... fun.

I must admit, I am certainly curious as to what the direction the modding community will take on this.  Maybe changing the fighting style from as it is to something along the lines of dedicated fighting game?
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 02, 2014, 05:15:39 pm »

I've been playing it for a couple of hours and it's great fun so far. Mordor is crawling with orcs so getting around without getting into encounters has actually been a bit of a hassle which I suppose is only fitting. I find the Nemesis system fun, although it seems like most captains have a lot of strengths and weaknesses, making them seem a little less unique since there's only a rather small amount of said traits. Still, it's hilarious when you attack a captain and his goons, a second captain joins the fight and you pretty much figure you're hosed until a roaming Caragor pounces and scares one of the captains off because he just happens to be deathly afraid of them.
It was also quite fun to, completely at random, encounter a captain I thought I had killed but who had apparently survived and needless to say was less than enthusiastic about me.

So far it seems like a very fun game and the Nemesis system is definitely a novel idea although my preliminary impression is that it could have used a bit more work.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 02, 2014, 05:19:16 pm »

From what I've seen of the combat, I'd think one way to make the difficulty harder would be to just make the orcs more aggressive. You can be surrounded by 20 orcs but only 2 or 3 might be trying to attack while the rest just kinda mingle and wait to get killed. If every enemy did its best to attack you whenever possible then fighting large groups of orcs or getting surrounded would be way harder.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 02, 2014, 05:44:48 pm »

I'm probably gonna go more artificial restriction.  I don't like the branding idea much so I probably won't use it unless it's necessary, same with chained shadow strike. 

My new GPU is at my house, I just have to get there from college.  It's time.  It's time to kill orcs.
Shoes...

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 02, 2014, 05:47:28 pm »

I'm probably gonna go more artificial restriction.  I don't like the branding idea much so I probably won't use it unless it's necessary, same with chained shadow strike. 

My new GPU is at my house, I just have to get there from college.  It's time.  It's time to kill orcs.
I was also thinking of artificial restriction as a way to make the game more fun. Do challenge runs, do speedruns to try and kill the orc chieftains with certain restrictions, stuff like that.

Course, I don't even have the game yet. Or a computer that could run the game, probably. But eventually. Someday.
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 02, 2014, 06:06:09 pm »

From what I've seen of the combat, I'd think one way to make the difficulty harder would be to just make the orcs more aggressive. You can be surrounded by 20 orcs but only 2 or 3 might be trying to attack while the rest just kinda mingle and wait to get killed. If every enemy did its best to attack you whenever possible then fighting large groups of orcs or getting surrounded would be way harder.

Captains with certain traits make this dream come true. It's not as refreshing as you'd think.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 02, 2014, 06:23:39 pm »

Captains with certain traits make this dream come true. It's not as refreshing as you'd think.
I didn't say I meant for it to be refreshing, I said it'd be a way to theoretically make the game harder. Judging by your input, it sounds like it works.

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 02, 2014, 06:26:17 pm »

how about increasing the amount of pro traits on captains? it seems to me that anything below power 15 is just too squishy   

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 02, 2014, 06:46:04 pm »

how about increasing the amount of pro traits on captains? it seems to me that anything below power 15 is just too squishy   
I had a power 8-11 (can't remember exactly) captain that had immunity to stealth, ranged and combat master.  God he was awful to try and kill.  If he had had anymore positive traits, I dunno if I would've been able to kill him.  Monster Slayer and always regenerating would've probably made him immortal.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 07:00:00 pm by Karkov »

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 02, 2014, 07:13:21 pm »

Maybe i am lucky but i don't see this...I suppose it depends on composition but I keep getting in fights where I get too many people attacking i cant dodge or counter all the blows...mostly the damn spears

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 02, 2014, 08:18:09 pm »

It's definitely pretty tough.  Haven't died yet but got beat by Horhog Dead-Eyes.  He walked off adn we met again alone.  This time I took him down. 

I fucking love thsi game already.

The big thing is the enemy saturation.  They're everywhere and it's not like similar games where enemies dont' necessarily immediately want to kill you. 

Running away is definitely a smart plan sometimes.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 08:24:51 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 03, 2014, 04:03:35 am »

Yeah, sometimes you have to remember you're a ranger, not Rambo :D

Edit: Added the Rambo part which somehow disappeared...
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 02:17:44 pm by Sartain »

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 03, 2014, 07:52:42 am »

I once got gang jumped by 4 captains after doing the main mission where you kill the
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
and was at really low health. First one talked shit like "Oh your so dead, it'll be a mercy to finish you" and then the others chimmed in with "Ha your outnumbered, scrub!" - good stuff.

Sadly now that I'm frankly overleveld and op, Captains don't get to "run", life or evolve anymore, they just die.

Lithare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 03, 2014, 08:02:07 am »

Anyone able to recommend either PC or console?  I have XBone and a gaming PC, just trying to decide which I want it on, to start with.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 26