Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 26

Author Topic: Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor  (Read 48972 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor
« Reply #120 on: September 30, 2014, 05:26:51 pm »

-In the best tradition of Star Killer, you work for the bad guys.

I'm just not seeing the critical factor that makes this more than a 3rd person sword murder simulator.
What? Really? Pretty sure Talion is killing Uruks in the game.

Couldn't agree with you more.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 30, 2014, 05:43:37 pm »

I too am a little puzzled why people are taken with this game.

Other than the obvious, I mean:

-In the best tradition of Star Killer, you work for the bad guys.
-Middle Earth!
-Dual Wielding!

And....what else? I watched some videos but it was just a bunch of clips of finishers, basically. I'm sure it's a jolly good game, and I'm not throwing any stones because I play the Assassin's Creed games. I'm just not seeing the critical factor that makes this more than a 3rd person sword murder simulator.

Did you miss the Nemesis part?

You're not working for the bad guys.  You can dominate uruks to make them serve you but you're still fighting against Sauron.  Just doing it with ambiguous tools.  Like Boromir wanting to use the ring against Sauron.
Shoes...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 30, 2014, 05:51:53 pm »

Oh, I guess you're right. You don't work for Mordor, you died and came back and are out for revengence.

The Nemesis system sounds interesting to a point....but I am strongly reminded of AC where, you think you're getting these really detailed plots to assassinate guys, but it quickly falls into rote gameplay territory. I can definitely see why it's appealing though. If this was an indie game I think I'd be fap-fap-fappin' along with everyone else. But the AAA nature of the game makes me wary of something like this, where gameplay ends up really systemitized once the novelty wears off. Because it's a novel and cool idea done in industry fashion. The randomness is definitely cool, but the "Dominate interrogate force out of hiding" ect.... cycle of gameplay leaves me feeling like it's kinda window dressing.

Still, I'm more interested than I was. Not that I'd be getting it anytime soon. I'd probably have to delete a large chunk of my installed games to make room for that fucking monster. Also yikes, it's a little unnerving when your exact model of processor is listed as the min spec >.>
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 06:02:27 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 30, 2014, 06:06:43 pm »

The specs are pretty intense, yeah.  Like 6gb VRAM for Ultra settings at 1080p.  I'm lucky with a 900p (and I can switch to a 768p if I really have to) so I can probably nab high pretty easily with my 3gb GTX 660.  When it gets here.  Tomorrow >:o

Fucking EVGA sending me a dud card at such an important time in my life.

Apparently it's consoles driving them up.  A PS4 has like 10gb of VRAM and since it's dedicated it can throw the entire cache into rendering one program's graphics whereas a PC can't really do that.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 06:08:32 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 30, 2014, 06:08:27 pm »

This game is very challenging and very fun so far.  :)
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 30, 2014, 06:30:38 pm »

Good to know...easy is usually boring...still a bazillion hours left on my download

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #126 on: September 30, 2014, 08:00:24 pm »

deeeetaaaaiillsssss

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 30, 2014, 08:09:12 pm »

I've died like ten times and I've played ~4 hours. ;c
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #128 on: September 30, 2014, 08:11:07 pm »

Sounds pretty awesome.

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 30, 2014, 08:56:19 pm »

I was having trouble getting to sleep yesterday on account of a nap I took, so when it unlocked at like 12:30 AM on steam I thought "why not?" and played til 4.

I'm really really really appreciating the challenge, the lack of which is one thing I HATE about Assassin's Creed. You get all these cool toys and interesting tools but no reason to use them. You need to use everything in Shadow of Mordor.

It's a game about having really solid core mechanics and fun orc command structure manipulation and just letting you have fun with that, instead of trying to lead you by the nose through setpieces. It's hard to explain exactly why the game is good, it's mostly great because of the execution of all the parts, not the premise or gameplay of the game being revolutionary
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 30, 2014, 10:40:34 pm »

I've been playing it (like 10 hours in) and I've got to say, I really like it. Combat is fun with lots of things you can do and stealth is fun. Using the environment is fun, using weaknesses against captains is fun. I love how if a no-name orc kills you they become a named captain. I just got to the point where you can start branding orcs to serve you (which is actually like halfway through the game) and it's refreshing. I was expecting to be a bit offended by the lore but I actually think it's done well. My biggest gripe is that they're using elvish script with vowel letters instead of diacritic marks and that you unlock some powers through main missions without any real explanation as to why you couldn't use them earlier, like you just instantly know that it's a power you have out of the blue.

blazing glory

« Reply #131 on: September 30, 2014, 11:35:49 pm »

So what's the explanation for coming back alive if something kills you?

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 30, 2014, 11:37:33 pm »

You are already dead?

PC Mod: Remove 'story' based unlocking.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #133 on: October 01, 2014, 12:05:34 am »

You are already dead?
But you didn't die, the story is that the wraith possessed you and saved your life. According to posts in this thread it's impossible to bring someone back from the dead in the Lord of the Rings universe so it can't be that the wraith guy is just resurrecting you over and over.

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 01, 2014, 12:23:21 am »

The nazgul die at least once over the course of the history of middle earth. Talion isn't resurrected as a normal human, his body is possessed by a wraith. So he never really stops being dead, it just takes a while for he wraith to reanimate him. Still pretty silly As far as lotr lore goes but not too too far from possibility!
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 26