Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 26

Author Topic: Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor  (Read 48913 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor
« Reply #90 on: September 27, 2014, 01:00:10 am »

I'm talking I Am the Night here, gadgets are vital to your survival in that mode.. Like I said, that's the way I believe the game was really meant to be played, not on Easy. But if we're just talking no counter tell and infinite retries, is that really bullshit-difficulty..? (I guess it depends on how good you are?) Because I mean you were talking about enemies attacking you one at a time and them being easy to read, well Hard mode plus no counter tells eliminates that and makes the game a lot more interesting I tell you (enemies attack you simultaneously a lot more on harder difficulties but that was still present on lower ones, they also won't hesitate to interrupt your counters, a detail you seem to have glazed over). You really should give it a shot if you never tried it.

E: Oh um, also to be clear I got the names mixed up, talking about Arkham Origins. >_> But I think you knew what I meant anyways since I'm pretty sure City didn't have the mode I'm talking about, not to mention City's combat isn't as tight as Origin's.

E2: http://youtu.be/JjwV5ET1_bk
When Deathstroke is striking at batman repeatedly, you have to time a button press to each one of those hits, which you probably remember. On I Am the Night you do it with no prompt. It had a lot fun beating him.

http://youtu.be/9kbcVOQnpeI?t=13m24s
I Am the Night mode: He's fighting regular bad guys using his cape (something you wouldn't have to do on normal). The game's not as simple as you make it out to be. :v You need to pummel to get those extra hits in between counters. It's like comparing Adventure mode to Fortress mode, different paradigms entirely.

Yet another good example of a player using gadgets tactically in order to win on I Am the Night: http://youtu.be/iZKydSJzFQc?t=2m59s
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 01:34:47 am by GUNINANRUNIN »

blazing glory

« Reply #91 on: September 27, 2014, 07:24:31 am »

Looks neat, will probably preorder, will probably be disappointed, Will get despite chances of being disappointed.

Though these days I'm having increasingly large amounts of difficulty getting decent games since I already have half of them, so even something half decent (which I reckon this will turn out to be.) would be something fun for me to play.

I'm using this sort of attitude for an increasing number of games actually, like Styx:Master of the Shadows.

bluwolfie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 27, 2014, 09:07:12 am »

So what's the explanation for the player character coming back after dying? Is it just written off or is there some feasible explanation for why it's not game over?

You're possessed by a wraith (Which was summoned due to a ritual at the start of the game, which involved your family being sacrifices) whom is cursed alongside you.. So you can't die because you're already.. Dead, and yet not dead.

Edit: Just check this out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDipOhYppT4
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 09:08:52 am by bluwolfie »

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 27, 2014, 11:58:10 am »

Styx might be better but i'm not sure yet

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #94 on: September 27, 2014, 12:34:33 pm »

So what's the explanation for the player character coming back after dying? Is it just written off or is there some feasible explanation for why it's not game over?

You're possessed by a wraith (Which was summoned due to a ritual at the start of the game, which involved your family being sacrifices) whom is cursed alongside you.. So you can't die because you're already.. Dead, and yet not dead.
Good enough for me! I'm not too picky about that sort of thing so long as they don't ignore it.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 29, 2014, 10:00:47 am »

The game could turn out to be good, but pre-release videos or reviews should not be trusted at all for a fair representation of the game, since it seems anyone who got a pre-release copy is contractually bound to be positive and not show any bugs.    :-\
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 29, 2014, 01:25:38 pm »

I think it has plenty of potential...but yes I take all the reviews with a grain of salt at this point...we will see tomorrow!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 29, 2014, 04:13:41 pm »

I feel like the stuff I've seen in the gameplay so far suggests to me that it'll be good, even if the reviewers are required to make it sound good.

You know what I mean?  You can put all the fancy clothes you want on a dead horse but it still smells dead.  Looking past all the clothes this horse still smells pretty good.  Like, there was a three hour gameplay video that for the most part was unedited.  The dudes sounding pretty sincere, riffing on some of the silliness, acting like you'd expect a couple dudes playing a video game to act.  It looked pretty fucking amazing and led to some awesome moments (And some not so awesome moments, like the Cook's horribly anticlimactic demise).  It came off to me as genuine.

I heard it described as a purer assassin's creed and I like that description.  Part of the reason AC sucks is they veered so far in so many weird directions.  AC1 was pretty much elemental.  Pure and unalloyed find dude and assassinate dude.  It was so pure it kind of got boring after a while.

But the direction they went to try to change that made it worse in my opinion.  Instead of expanding on the basic formula they altered it.  Revelation was probably the worst of them, I don't remember a single pure assassination mission in that entire game.  By the time Black Flag rolled around the game had gone so far from the original formula it was basically on a new formula.  Not a horrible one by any means but it could barely be called AC anymore.

Something that gets back to the roots of what AC was without sucking its dick?  Yes.

Something that takes the core AC experience (gather intel, prepare, find dude, kill dude) and sets in a dynamic world where your assassination targets have personality and goals?  I'll upgrade my computer for that shit (And I did!)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 04:25:40 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #98 on: September 29, 2014, 05:18:42 pm »

^^This.

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 29, 2014, 05:39:41 pm »

Dont get me wrong, the domination mechanic is neat as !sock! but it seems like just a step further from AC.
if you're just gonna have to clear zone after zone after zone then i dont see the appeal, Dominate -> kill -> Dominate -> ??? -> $$,
if there's a larger mechanic to controlling your fodder army of uruks then i'd be much more excited   

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 29, 2014, 05:45:40 pm »

Gotta keep an eye on this for when it comes down in price, and I can upgrade my computer.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 29, 2014, 05:47:21 pm »

Well I'm looking forward to giving it a spin after work tommorow

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 29, 2014, 06:18:44 pm »

Lucky!  I'll have my new GPU (The fan was dead on mine and I had to RMA it) Wednesday at best.
Shoes...

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 29, 2014, 08:24:17 pm »

Going to put my recent PS4 purchase to good use and download this tonight, maybe it'll be the best guerrilla war game since LCS.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 29, 2014, 11:21:58 pm »

Cannot wait to get this going tonight... 12hrs to go...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 26