Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 26

Author Topic: Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor  (Read 48881 times)

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2014, 04:14:27 pm »

..Why is Gollum in this.

He had bills to pay  :D

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2014, 04:14:45 pm »

bad reskin of an already bad series?

need to know more

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2014, 04:35:39 pm »

need to know more

From everything I've seen and been told about this game, it's basically Assassins Creed, but in Middle Earth. I hate Assassins Creed, and this game looks to be of equally dubious quality.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2014, 06:58:22 pm »

need to know more

From everything I've seen and been told about this game, it's basically Assassins Creed, but in Middle Earth. I hate Assassins Creed, and this game looks to be of equally dubious quality.
For a second I thought you were talking about Lord of the Rings. But no I'm right there with you.

bluwolfie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2014, 09:51:08 pm »

How is this lore shredding? And I don't get why it's such a bad thing that the game is designed to make you feel powerful, it's got a sandbox vibe going for it. If the nemesis system delivers on even half of the shit they say it's able to do I will be happy, the ability to create your own unique enemies is fucking awesome.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2014, 10:58:40 pm »

If the combat is anywhere near as cool as it looks I don't care how much they break LOTR lore.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2014, 12:06:12 am »

personally anyone that is going to sit here and bitch about lore needs to take a chill pill and calm the fuck down. Yes lore IS important...but for you to judge and condemn a game on lore alone is a little silly...games are meant to be fun and enjoyable...not strict and rigid and stuck to a single ideal that confines them to ONE idea of how things are "supposed" to work.

I am all about lore being kept as the core of how the game is formed....but there are limits

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2014, 12:35:31 am »

If they wanted a superhero game, they could've just used Morgoth's doom for that. You'd get to play young(er) Gandalf and/or Saruman, back when they were sent from the West to kick Dark Lordling's ass. Alternatively, you could create your own wizard, who'd be one of those missing at the time of LotR while keeping Gandalf, Saruman and Radagast as recognizable NPCs. So there had been way to do even this while staying somewhat loyal to the lore. Or at least make the protagonist one of the superbly powerful high elves.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2014, 04:15:23 am »

I can't say I mind the breach of lore here. LOTR isn't exactly the most pristine IP in terms of what's been done with it. Every other LOTR game you have wizards who aren't from the books, and story-wise it's all either "hey, there was actually a random elf, dwarf and human who followed the heroes like a bad stench" or "actually, it happened like this" where the heroes kill 10 times the already ridiculous numbers they did in the movies. Putting it strictly in Mordor with a guy possessed by a wraith (who's supposedly still got bigger limits than movie Legolas in terms of how many he can fight at once) puts it above those, as far as I'm concerned.

What I mind more is that it might end up being too easy to make the nemesis mechanics really pay off. But that's to be seen.

Jalak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2014, 07:25:49 am »

I can't help but feel the whole "possession wraith" thing sets itself up as someone's fanfic. Anyone else get that feel?

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2014, 10:17:39 am »

Atleast they're giving you a reasonable explanation of why the PC character is so powerful asides from herpadoo you're a hero. Also wraiths can do whatever the hell they want, when they want. To be a wraith does not make you evil, just suceptible to the insanity of being undead and able to be manipulated by those with the power to do so [i.e. not very many people]. See: the Dead Men of Dunharrow.

Would be nice to see some justification for this Wraith turning against Sauron that ties into previous lore, but don't impinge the game's quality on that point.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 10:21:47 am by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2014, 10:36:26 am »

If they deliver the nemesis system, I'm ok with a weird fanfic-ey story. The combat looks rather eh, to be honest, its just the assassin's creed/arkhan formula of having a counter attack button and enemies that refuse to actualy swarm you, also QTEs. Otherwise, its shaping up to be an interesting game I guess.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2014, 10:39:27 am »

If they deliver the nemesis system, I'm ok with a weird fanfic-ey story. The combat looks rather eh, to be honest, its just the assassin's creed/arkhan formula of having a counter attack button and enemies that refuse to actualy swarm you, also QTEs. Otherwise, its shaping up to be an interesting game I guess.
Batman x Assassin's Creed.

Well not all wraiths belong to Sauron, it's just the Ring Wraiths, right?

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2014, 10:40:13 am »

I can't help but feel the whole "possession wraith" thing sets itself up as someone's fanfic. Anyone else get that feel?
LOTR in general reads like a fanfic. "And then they encountered a magical forest hobo named Tom Bombadil, who sang and danced around merrily, and could do fucking anything, but didn't because he didn't feel like it, so let's forget about him. Back to fapping over elves.".

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2014, 10:46:06 am »

Batman x Assassin's Creed.

Well not all wraiths belong to Sauron, it's just the Ring Wraiths, right?

Wraiths were for the most part completely dominated by Sauron. They are called Ringwraiths after the second age, Wraiths is just a colloquial term to refer to them. Wraiths = Ghosts, weren't as much of evil dicks before Sauron appeared and corrupted them. Second age onward wraiths that aren't under the dominion of Sauron are exceedingly rare, exceptions being the men of Dunharrow and certain possession issues. That's why I'm interested in the explanation for why this [Ring]wraith was able to break the domination that holds them under his will.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 10:48:29 am by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 26