Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 26

Author Topic: Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor  (Read 48946 times)

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor
« Reply #210 on: October 05, 2014, 05:42:19 am »

One thing I hate games doing. Tutorials when you spent 10hrs doing it already...
The Whole Hunt thing just felt too tutorial, I mean I have been riding Groug for a long time before I even came to Numen yet it still had to teach me how to ride them all over again. Sure it finally let me counter their attacks to allow for onfoot mounting and FINALLY unlock that part that would allow me to do the shadowstrike mount onto one, BUT FFS WHY THIS LATE!!!
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 05, 2014, 10:14:15 am »

I agree...when games do tutorials that last the whole game it irritates me...why give me tools I could use through the whole game in the last portion of it?

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 05, 2014, 11:40:29 am »

One thing I hate games doing. Tutorials when you spent 10hrs doing it already...
The Whole Hunt thing just felt too tutorial, I mean I have been riding Groug for a long time before I even came to Numen yet it still had to teach me how to ride them all over again. Sure it finally let me counter their attacks to allow for onfoot mounting and FINALLY unlock that part that would allow me to do the shadowstrike mount onto one, BUT FFS WHY THIS LATE!!!
Oh wow, I never figured out how to ride graugs until then I thought you needed to do the mission to unlock the ability.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 05, 2014, 12:02:58 pm »

I'm pretty sure you do.  You can ride Caragors from early on but Graug there's an ability that you only unlock.

I basically never use shadow strike and I never unlocked the lethal shadow strike or chain strike, or the ride strike.  So if I want to ride a Graug I have to do the whole song and dance and pray I manage that really hard QTE at the end.

Speaking of which this is the first game I've played where the QTEs are actually pretty tough.  There's a lot of different ways your brain has to move in a very short period of time to do it properly.
Shoes...

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 05, 2014, 01:02:52 pm »

Yeah sorry, I was irritated about the whole thing I said the wrong creature (even spelled it wrong)...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 05, 2014, 03:22:17 pm »

I think its strength is, like Assassin's Creed or Arkham City or Watch_Dogs or Skyrim, once you set aside the rote-ness of game play and let yourself get immersed in the setting the setting and the open world, it delivers.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

bluwolfie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 06, 2014, 01:29:06 pm »

Yeah sorry, I was irritated about the whole thing I said the wrong creature (even spelled it wrong)...

Did you see the Nemesis system? That's really the whole point, hopefully they add more to the game or the sequel is bigger. Either way, the nemesis system if worth a look.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 06, 2014, 02:39:29 pm »

Spoiler: End Spoilers (click to show/hide)
Shoes...

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 06, 2014, 04:33:52 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 04:35:25 pm by Rakonas »

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 06, 2014, 11:53:19 pm »

Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: October 07, 2014, 01:06:39 am »

Not really...you have to realize and consider that all these events are happening within Mordor in a time where no one outside Mordor knows what is happening...they can get away with just about anything they want  on the grounds that no one else knew about it so it couldn't have been told in standard canon (or disputed).

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 07, 2014, 01:58:49 am »

Considering the hype, the game is surprisingly bland. I guess in part it is because the button-smashing interface is too conso-lish to my taste. Good thing is it reminded me I haven't played the new Hitman at all despite having bought it a long time ago.

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 07, 2014, 02:22:08 am »

I reached a 100% after around 26 hours of gameplay, and I'm now in the process of getting the last 3 achievements for steam (Because SoM has actually completeable achievements, unlike a ton of other games). Here some thoughts for those interested:

Everyone and their dog is saying it, and I agree, the game is basically the offspring of an affair between the newer Batman and Assassins Creed games. And I think it takes the best of both games. Combat flows nicely and gets incredibly varied with upgrades. Early-on you're pretty much forced to employ stealth, as you start out pretty weak. But Talion gets progressively stronger with each upgrade.

This is handled pretty nice, altough the regular Uruk's become almost trivial later on. This is somewhat balanced out with new stronger enemy types (Berserkers who counter regular attacks, Shieldbearers who cant be countered) and the Captains. But I think the game could have profited from 2 or 3 more stronger enemy types.  Still, the combat is one of the, if not THE best part of the game. Throwing Uruks off bridges, feeding them to beasts, setting them on fire, poisoning their Grog or even rallying them against each other is really tons of fun.

Then we have the Captains and Warchiefs. The Nemesis System feels great, and I want to provide an example of the feeling and immersion it creates:

One of my first deaths in the game was to a regular Uruk. I overestimated myself and cause an alarm in one of the Strongholds and was promptly cut down by reinforcements. The guy that killed me was promoted. His name was Morg, and he got the fitting title Skull-Crasher. Not really creative, but we are talking about Uruks, not Elves. When an Uruk or a Captain kills you, it gives the guy a "Revenge"-marker, meaning that you earn more stuff for killing him. So right after getting back up, I went and looked for Morg. After gathering Intel from a slave, it was revealed that Morg was actually weak to stealth finishers. Checking the map, I found that Morg was in the process of recruiting some fresh meat in the local stronghold. Cue a few dead guards and one strike from above, and Morg was laying dead at my feet. Good thing too, not only was he the bodyguard of the Warchief next on my hit list, he also had some nasty strengths, namely poisoned throwing axes and the fact that counters will not work on his attacks.

Since the Warchief didnt have any bodyguards left, I promptly started the mission to take him down. Sadly, there was a surprise waiting for me. Morg was still alive, his wound covered by a new metal plate that someone used to repair the wound in his head. While that was pretty cool to behold, the two of them promptly cleaned the floor with my sorry ass, as I wasnt prepared for two big shots with unblockable attacks. Morg survived another assassination atempt later on, but was finally decapitated by a rival captain.

Stories like this happen quite frequently, and I do think they add a ton of flavour to the world.

Finally, something that is unlocked around midway trough the game:

Now, the stuff I did not like that much:

As i mentioned above, Talion gets pretty freaking overpowered late game. The game tries to balacne this by making the Captains stronger, and adding more Berserkers and Shieldbearers, but there are 3 specific abilities that I find way too overpowered.

For every weapon (sword, bow and dagger), there's a form of ultimate ability that you can buy with the mission currency. Each basically activates a god mode for 20 seconds. The sword ability gives you unlimited executions, the bow unlimited focus (which slows down time) and unlimited arrows, and the dagger turns you invisible enabling unlimited stealth finishers. Once you have those, and if you're willing to use them, the game is basically over. Luckily, they are very very late game, but what was supposed to be the penultimate bossfight became a joke because of them.

I also think the ranged combat isn't handled that well. It's basically a slightly overpowered V.A.T.S., and if you activate the right runes, you can kill between 4-10 Uruks in slow-mo before they know what's up. I'd rather have a system that actually requires skill to hit something, and add some more variation instead of getting 6 free headshots before every fight.

The story also falls VERY flat towards the end.

All in all, for me it was worth the price tag. If you're unsure about buying, wait for a 75% or 50% steam sale in a few months, because it's definetely worth 20-30 bucks.
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 07, 2014, 02:28:19 am »

I don't use those super abilities because of what you said.

Also I never remember to use them because combat brand is freaking overpowered as fuck.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 07, 2014, 03:56:56 am »

I just killed my first warchief during this sunday (yeah, I'm taking my sweet time wandering off picking flowers and shooting animals). It took two attempts though since the first time I made sure to kill his two bodyguards first but apparently both of them were "not quite dead" and appeared at the warchiefs side, mocking me. The three of them, combined with an alarmed stronghold, wiped the floor with me. Second try worked a bit better since I was prepared for the bodyguards and managed to take them both out through guerilla tactics before fighting and defeating Tuka Death-Blade.
Sure, the game is a bit of a one-trick pony but I really, really love the nemesis system and the combat system so for me this is a lot of fun :)
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 26