Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 26

Author Topic: Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor  (Read 48958 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor
« Reply #195 on: October 04, 2014, 11:53:56 am »

Yeah, I also agree that this seems to be a test of the system just like that Metal Gear Solid game.
Nah, that's just Hideo's chronic habit of coming up with completely unique mechanics for every game he makes. IT'S A DISEASE. One I wish every dev had.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: October 04, 2014, 12:05:50 pm »

Some kind of war of the rings or even fourth age (since they seem keen on exploring gaps in the canon and doing strange things with them) game could be interesting, using the nemesis system on different types of characters.  Dunno how unique it could make some of them, Uruks are pretty widely variable but how different are elves and humans and such? 

I dunno if killing elves would really suit the mood middle earth games are going for, though. 

Could even make it multiplayer but the combat system isn't really suited to multiplayer.  Assassin's Creed noticed and dodged that bullet with their multiplayer but would that really work here?  Not really.

Maybe a singleplayer game with multiple story paths where you can play as a Man, and Elf, an Easterling, or an Orc, with lots of customization options and all the gameplay that would come with that.

I'd prefer less wraith stuff though.  Maybe a grittier, more tactical swordfighting system.  That would have the added bonus of discouraging massive one-on-n brawls and more careful stealth gameplay.  My favorite thing is one on one fights with big captains and vault-stun-flurry kind of kills the magic a bit.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 12:19:58 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Sinlessmoon

• Bay Watcher
  • [Trollinging Intensifies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 04, 2014, 01:57:19 pm »

The games pretty cool. The Nemesis system is actually rather fun, but I agree that it seems like a test for something bigger because the game isn't exactly long.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 04, 2014, 02:03:49 pm »

I'm in Nurn now.  the GTA style exposition where you spend five minutes walking and talking before a mission actually starts bugs the fuck out of me but whatever.

I'm still finding the game pretty challenging mainly because I only upgraded my health once.  An orc with Deadly or the like can kill me in one or two hits so I really have to be methodical and careful about what I do.

I miss my old Nemesis, Flak the Storm Bringer.  Nobody here's been quite as fun.
Shoes...

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 04, 2014, 02:05:28 pm »

Well, if you're the kind of person I am you'll have spent 8 or so in-game hours on it so far and still only have 13% completion. Concerning completion, this seems like one of those game that has done collectibles right (since apparently you absolutely have to do them at all), being that they're not too hard to find and generally fun to do, with regards to the weapon legends.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: October 04, 2014, 02:26:21 pm »

Posting to watch.  I'm just under the recommended specs, but I always turn off every graphical option I can...  New games are all dark shiny blurs anyway, why should I waste time loading high-quality textures?

I'm not burned out on Arkham-style combo combat like a lot of people (closest thing I played was the first Assassin's Creed, years ago).  I'm mostly interested in the nemesis system.  I enjoyed the new Tomb Raider, and *really* enjoyed Far Cry 3, so I think I'll like this.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 04, 2014, 02:44:14 pm »

Well, if you're the kind of person I am you'll have spent 8 or so in-game hours on it so far and still only have 13% completion. Concerning completion, this seems like one of those game that has done collectibles right (since apparently you absolutely have to do them at all), being that they're not too hard to find and generally fun to do, with regards to the weapon legends.

Yeah, it's not like that flag bullshit in the first Assassin's Creed where there were like a hundred of them in every zone and no reward for finding them.
Shoes...

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: October 04, 2014, 02:46:45 pm »

Ishgra the Small has been my nemesis for so freaking long. I've gotten so attached to the guy. He's so battered and bruised that he's now invulnerable to ranged, stealth, explosions, and even melee attacks as well as finishers.

I'm actively avoiding killing him, just letting him escape every time.

I had a little mini nemesis going on with some dude. Ugrok the Noble or something. I killed him with a wolf-thing and not even 3 minutes later he came back looking for revenge. So I killed him with the wolf-thing again. Then he came back again. Same thing.

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 04, 2014, 03:58:55 pm »

I'd like to see a game where you're pure human, elf, dwarf or uruk (take your pick at character creation) and you are thrust into war directly after the end of this game.  Your character would be customizable and you could get armor sets to equip over the game (instead of this game and its static skins, maybe even break them into separate pieces of armor a la Oblivion), possibly even weapons, though I did like the rune system and the reforging aspect (and weapons usually have names and histories within the LotR universe).

At some point you would meet Talion and Celebrimbor, or maybe one of the Istari, and either get branded or be gifted power in some way and then go about raising an army while they bugger off and you don't see them for a while.

Taking your power you head off to gather an army.  Obviously we've stepped into non-cannon land at this point, and you would work your way through the ranks in your respective armies, and possibly the Uruks (unless you're an Uruk and then you're pretty much limited to Uruks (exception incoming)).  After you found yourself at the top you would lead your troops through a war with everyone vying for power.  If you wanted to add a twist to it, you could make it where,
Spoiler: Near End-Game Spoiler (click to show/hide)
there could be someone working for the powers of darkness that was branding other captains in the good races.

The number of captains could even be increased by adding different races of man and elves (and possibly dwarfs, but a dwarf is a dwarf unless it's a DF dorf, then you've got a lot of psychopaths running around in tiny tunnels), making just the army creation phase into an easy two or three day venture.  From there all you would need to do is localize the power struggle events per race, make the good races kill each other a lot less than the orcs (unless you decide to be an evil character), and then get a few more great voice actors and sprinkle generous portions of story wherever you want.

It's sort of out of the range of our current sized games, but I'd definitely be interested in playing it just with the Nemesis systems spanning multiple races.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 04, 2014, 05:26:18 pm »

Ishgra the Small has been my nemesis for so freaking long. I've gotten so attached to the guy. He's so battered and bruised that he's now invulnerable to ranged, stealth, explosions, and even melee attacks as well as finishers.

I'm actively avoiding killing him, just letting him escape every time.

I had a little mini nemesis going on with some dude. Ugrok the Noble or something. I killed him with a wolf-thing and not even 3 minutes later he came back looking for revenge. So I killed him with the wolf-thing again. Then he came back again. Same thing.

Yeah lol...unless you behead a nemesis they have a chance to come back from defeat

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 04, 2014, 10:43:42 pm »

Heh... speaking of Ishgra the Small... he showed up AGAIN and this time he was the bodyguard of the main quest warchief you need to kill early on. (I kinda buggered off and did every single side mission before doing the main ones)

The guy was like 6 levels higher than the warchief he was protecting. I actually screamed out "ISHGRAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!" right in my room. I literally screamed that out.

The nemesis system apparently works guys.

------

I'm also having some serious trouble with some of the captains. I've slaughtered all the weaklings and worms so mainly only the super strong ones remain. The "invincible to everything" guys. So every time I have to fight one and he has 5+ buddies with him, chances are I'm gonna die. Then every time I die he gets stronger.

It's so awesome.

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: October 05, 2014, 12:43:13 am »

So, out of curiosity, how big is the game size, anyway?

I'd like to play it when I can afford it, but I don't know how much space I need to make on my hard drive. I'm a bit of a hoarder.
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: October 05, 2014, 03:02:26 am »

How big is the download?
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 26