Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Hearts of Iron IV is in the Paradox Pipeline!  (Read 6248 times)

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
Re: Hearts of Iron IV is in the Paradox Pipeline!
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2014, 07:27:26 pm »

Looking forward to it.
Why the hate on hoi3 by the way? Sure, it was a wreck on release but with the expansions and mods (new versions of black ice recently for instance) available it's really good in my opinion. Especially compared to the prequel I believe it made the most and largest improvements. Things such as the larger (province number wise) map that allows more maneuvering, an improved supply system, division compositions and command structures. Even the ai (which was really bad at release is not too bad now and mods are improving it further, TRP comes to mind here while black ice also add a bunch of events modifiers to level the ai and player.
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2014, 07:38:47 pm »

Goddammit I wanted Project Armstrong to be a space game so badly.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2014, 08:35:01 pm »

Looking forward to it.
Why the hate on hoi3 by the way? Sure, it was a wreck on release but with the expansions and mods (new versions of black ice recently for instance) available it's really good in my opinion. Especially compared to the prequel I believe it made the most and largest improvements. Things such as the larger (province number wise) map that allows more maneuvering, an improved supply system, division compositions and command structures. Even the ai (which was really bad at release is not too bad now and mods are improving it further, TRP comes to mind here while black ice also add a bunch of events modifiers to level the ai and player.
Larger province number isn't an improvement, it just makes it totally different. It also makes the command structure AI control stuff necessary compared to previous HoI where you could easily manage all your armies (except for fucking airforces). Also it was much less sandbox, you can't for instance take argentina and turn fascist, conquer most of south america, then suffer a communist coup, nuke america so that it has a communist coup, then do whatever. You can't change your government and there's much less potential for smaller countries to accomplish anything basically.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2014, 08:59:15 am »

http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/heartsofironiv/1089/preview.html

A preview. Some interesting stuff. I like the change to battle AI, something more detailed than the usual point them in the general direction and hope for the best method I've been using in 3 (because micromanaging that many divisions is a pain in the ass). Not entirely sure about the tech system and how it meshes with upgrades, but it seems that we get less specific choices of units but in turn we get to customize them more to our needs. Production is also interesting, especially because it might lead to strategic bombardment being vastly more effective. You can't slider your way around less IC now it seems because once certain factories are gone, you lose their production capability and possibly whatever they've been producing.
Also it's going to be more sandboxy it seems, some scripted events will remain but they're planning to make them respond to current events.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Tobel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Tobel Plays Youtube
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2014, 05:48:07 pm »

At this point, how else can they reinvent WWII grand strategy?

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2014, 12:54:18 pm »

Read the first dev diary :

Less railroading – more historical feel
A big problem with historical games is that people know what happened, especially in such a well-documented period as World War II. The leaders of those days did not have crystal balls or an active forum of amateur historians from the future telling them what would happen next. This is something that we need to deal with without losing the sense of place and realism that people have come to appreciate about our games. A lot of things will require gradual changes and actually living through events, which should give a much better historical feel as well as creating a game where it is easier to try out alternate paths of history and not feel that the only road to success is following whatever plan Eisenhower had.
This. This I like very much.

Also, less micromanagement, more streamlined stuff, better maps (I like a lot the preview map, especially the night/day cycle, though it reminds me a bit too much of EUIV, but that's personal opinion).

Province sizes are like hoi3
Meh. I kinda wish it to be in between HoI2 and HoI3 province size.

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2014, 02:18:50 pm »

One thing I'd like is for the AI to take into account is whether or not you have nukes.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."
Pages: 1 [2]