Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hearts of Iron IV is in the Paradox Pipeline!  (Read 6249 times)

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hearts of Iron IV is in the Paradox Pipeline!
« on: January 23, 2014, 11:13:20 am »

Here's the teaser trailer (no gameplay footage yet):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1bvX2-XrAQ&hd=1

and here's the website:

http://signup.heartsofiron4.com/

I would have wished Victoria 3 to make an appearance first - it would have been pretty awesome to have an epic CKII-EU4-Vic3-HoI4 game!

traverse

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Hearts of Iron IV is in the Paradox Pipeline!
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 08:32:28 pm »

Is East vs West still a go?
party for your right to fight

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 08:44:13 pm »

Yes, it's due out Q1 or Q2 this year last I heard.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 09:03:06 pm »

Actually it seems they're reducing the scope / chopping out features from E vs W. Looks like they'll be going the route of pay what you want/free beta come March with no actual commercial release date. Doesn't bode well for official support, but cool that it'll be free I guess?

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?749660-Regarding-the-future-of-East-vs-West-The-Beta-and-Release-Date

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 10:47:55 pm »

EvW isn't being developed by Paradox, only published by them.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 10:53:41 pm »

evw is softcancelled, we might get a beta but that's it

literally the only prospective projects that i see at paradox get the axe because they're too ambitious or whatever

need i remind you of the magna mundi release schedule? pure hilarity

anyway sure let them bring hoi4 and hope it's not as bad as 3 was in comparison to 2

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 11:55:38 pm »

literally the only prospective projects that i see at paradox get the axe because they're too ambitious or whatever

anyway sure let them bring hoi4 and hope it's not as bad as 3 was in comparison to 2
I suppose it should be rather amusing that I read the plan for the beta release they put on the forums and thought, "Hey, Paradox is poaching off indie funding plans."  I mean, a donation-based funding plan with extended public beta and (theoretically) continuous development through a theoretically-distant final release does sound a little familiar - UnReal World, Cataclysm, and of course, Dwarf Fortress, just to name three.  I suppose it's rather a shame to see it go that way, though; between the twin disasters of Magna Mundi and East vs. West, Paradox is never going to trust the mod community to put together a proper game using their engine ever again.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 12:07:31 am »

The main reason why East Vs West is getting pushed aside is that it's using the much older clausewitz engine. HOI4 will blow East Vs West (at least graphically) completely out of the water and will likely have a lot of features the early engine couldn't handle.
Paradox also seems hesitant to release games with a smaller scope since they tended to do much more poorly compared to the other titles, see March of the Eagles and Sengoku.

If I was on the EvW team at this point I would be considering how much we could rip and port to the new engine. Likely a lot would have to be redone but it would seem better than being reduced to the bargain bin by Paradox and basically getting no support.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 09:58:23 am »

Wow, I had no idea that was happening with East vs. West.  I was looking forward to it  :(

Paradox also seems hesitant to release games with a smaller scope since they tended to do much more poorly compared to the other titles, see March of the Eagles and Sengoku.

Which is very unfortunate - the smaller scope is perfect for multiplayer. March of the Eagles is a pretty decent game.

Xeron

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill your family
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 10:05:12 am »

Yeah,with the lack of money the EvW team will be getting,i do doubt they'll bother with it anymore.
Also,here's to hoping that Paradox will make HoI 4 a step in the good direction,as opposed to 3

Ah, the spoils of pasting one self's face onto women's bodies...

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 10:35:44 am »

The main reason why East Vs West is getting pushed aside is that it's using the much older clausewitz engine. HOI4 will blow East Vs West (at least graphically) completely out of the water and will likely have a lot of features the early engine couldn't handle.

If I was on the EvW team at this point I would be considering how much we could rip and port to the new engine. Likely a lot would have to be redone but it would seem better than being reduced to the bargain bin by Paradox and basically getting no support.
Err, I haven't heard anything about a new engine for Hearts of Iron 4; I know EU4 uses Clausewitz, and I'm pretty sure HOI4 will as well.  For that matter, even their newest RPG is going to use Clausewitz (heavens know how, though).  To be fair, though, if the game had come out on anything resembling "on schedule", it wouldn't have looked completely obsolete, and being based off an obsolete engine (that is to say, not Clausewitz) didn't hurt Darkest Hour any.  I agree on Sengoku and March of the Eagles, but those were always intended to be budget-bin interims to sit as preludes to Crusader Kings 2 and Europa Universalis 4, respectively.  To a degree, though, even Crusader Kings 1 sat in that little category due to the Snowball (or whatever the Russian company was) fiasco. 

If I were the EvW team or the Paradox Interactive team in charge of greenlighting or denying gold status, I'd focus on finishing the features that they said they were going to do and can still do, and trim off what they can't do instead of clinging to hope and pushing for the everything.  It's all and well for self-published games to have a gradual release schedule since they can look forward to years, if not decades of development based on incremental funding sources over that duration, but when all is said and done, they are working for a corp which can't keep shoveling money down a black hole in the hopes of an eventual pay-off.  Hence why I'm so amused by this announcement; it suggests that a game publishing company is actually trying to put it out using the former system instead of being the latter.  I suspect they're just trying to cut their losses and avoid the PR disaster that was the Magna Mundi cancellation, to be honest, but while I'm a little suspicious of it, it's still better than a straight cancellation. 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 10:37:30 am by Culise »

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2014, 11:08:14 am »

All Paradox games after Sengoku (excluding MoTE) are using the Clausewitz 2.5 engine which is apparently a massive technological jump forward compared to the older versions that EU3 and HoI3 were on. Aside from all the fancy graphical stuff 2.5 also included better AI scripting and netcode, something that has plagued the HoI series for the longest of times.

I wouldn't really argue that MoTE was a prelude to EU4 (although Sengoku was definitely just a glorified beta for CK2) as it had more in common with HoI. It was produced primilarly to be a multiplayer war game. Sadly it got neither the sales nor the community needed for it to be successful which I'm sure had to do with both the small scope and smaller timeline.

I've personally been holding on for a HoI game set back in WW1. It would likely be a lot easier to get into due to much clearer fronts and a lack of combined arms. It saddens me that pretty much no game has attempted a WW1 attrition fest yet.

Detonate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2014, 05:41:57 pm »

Magna Mundi wasn't cancelled because it was too ambitious though, Magna Mundi was cancelled because it was complete crap and the dev team was full of manchildren.
Looks like that poison wasn`t good for their eyes at all.
I never thought I'd say this, but Nietzsche is just adorable.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2014, 06:12:51 pm »

I know it's the internet in me saying this, but I was really expecting a dancing hitler (or possibly admiral akbar) somewhere in that trailer video.

Anyway, ptw. I'm really looking forward to hoi4.
It's a game. Have fun.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2014, 09:22:02 am »

Ptw.  And...

I've personally been holding on for a HoI game set back in WW1. It would likely be a lot easier to get into due to much clearer fronts and a lack of combined arms. It saddens me that pretty much no game has attempted a WW1 attrition fest yet.

WW1 Medic, no?  There is no limit to the vision of Bay12.  Actually I feel like playing that again...

edit - Wow that went badly.  Mustard gas within 10 seconds.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 09:24:42 am by hermes »
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...
Pages: [1] 2