Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trolling women?  (Read 1677 times)

Uristsonsonson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Trolling women?
« on: January 22, 2014, 03:18:44 pm »

What are the current plans for adventurers that get kidnapped and night troll'd? Will we eventually get to play out our lives as one, digging a lair and trolling a wife and fending off questing peasants? What will the mechanics for trolling people be? Is it an instant conversion or something that occurs over time, and what causes it?

I'd have rephrased it and put it in the suggestions forum, but having been here longer than a few days I'm already aware that the answer is "planned, but no timeline" and it's been suggested at least eight or nine times already. I'd just prefer to get the current facts on it you know? :)

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
Re: Trolling women?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 04:20:51 pm »

I think this is the most "recent" post on that topic (at least I haven't found another one). Toady considers it fair game that an adventurer could be targeted, and that you could continue to play, but there are open questions, and no specifics about how the transformation works (though I believe there is a week gap between being abducted and officially being turned - right now if world gen ends before the transformation occurs, you'd find a human/elf/dwarf peasant that'll likely be attacked by the night troll, but that's subject to change (and randomization, in all likelihood)).

Quote from: Lord Dakoth
Will night creatures ever abduct player-controlled adventurers and turn them into night creature spouses? If so, would you maintain control of your adventurer after the transformation, or would this be considered a "Game Over?"
When abductions go into adventure mode, the adventurer will by default be as fair a target as anybody else, unless I run into some messy problem that forces me to add a special exception.  Without a special exception, you are just another historical figure.  Adding the whole transformation process is something of a project, and we'd have to consider what it means for you as an adventurer to even see it happen to somebody else before we consider you going through it yourself.  Once we have a process in place for a generic historical figure to be converted in place while you are on the map, putting you through that is pretty straightforward (being dragged somewhere would require some kind of interface/travel change as well).  I'm not sure whether you'd get to keep playing.  You get to keep playing as a mist-husked zombie right now, which is the default position, but it is unsatisfying in the same way that allowing you to assume the role of a historical ruler would be, because you don't have the relationships/reactions from others/etc. associated to the role (aside from the very basic result of being attacked).
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Trickman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 06:59:32 pm »

Well fuck me if I ever thought this thread was going to be about those trolls.
This is a plain text forum signature. All typedwarfship is of the finest quality. It menaces with sentences of plain text.

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 04:08:10 am »

Best thread title ever.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 10:31:34 pm »

Well I certainly didn't expect anything else. Nope. Totally expected, uh, Night Trolls, yeeeaaaahh.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 10:36:49 pm »

Hehe, pretty much amounts to the same. I can't think of a worse case of being trolled than waking up a night creature. Enjoy your wings and three tails, ladies!

razor871

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 07:25:11 am »

This actually reminds me of a fan-made spin-off of the text adventure Zork where you had to play as a troll guarding a room from adventurers.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 08:19:49 am »

Long ago I did a suggestion about night trolls kidnapping dwarves in player fortresses. I think most of the mechanics are already in place - they wouldn't be so different from goblin thieves, the only one being the fact that they wouldn't target only children.