Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: The Abbey of Sands - Community Fort  (Read 10968 times)

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Abbey of Sands - Community Fort
« Reply #75 on: June 05, 2014, 08:53:11 pm »

Yeppers - please continue.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Mr.Mountain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 09, 2014, 11:20:28 pm »

Wow, simple machine forums notification mechanics, thanks for telling me this thread was posted on 4 months after I left the page. I'm definitely interested in seeing it go on. Also wanna know if my character is still alive.
no one could have anticipated this

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 14, 2014, 05:19:53 pm »

For some reason I've been having a hard time getting into a proper dwarf fortress mood so updates will be slow.

The journal today is mostly a narrative write up of a battle that took place. The actual battle took place some time ago, so my memory of what happened is sketchy, but I can remember that no one important (named) died. Nightwings are scary, even with all their limbs severed and their wings cut off they still refuse to die.

Journal:
A group of travelers arrived to join us in our frigid desert home. Most have been assigned to the masons to assist in our construction efforts. No matter how many workers we have we always seem to be behind on building homes and defenses.

14th Galena
A caravan has arrived from the capitol, we have plentiful supplies to trade, but little need for the goods they brought. It seems strange to think of how much wealth we have actually accumulated here.

16th Galena
A horde of Nightwings mounted on giant beasts was seen approaching. Most are riding giant frogs or mosquitoes. I am concerned that our walls won't stop them, their wings will allow them to bypass out defenses.

20th Galena
It was horrible. The screams of the merchants and the clash of weapons on armour as the attackers stormed the trade depot. The foul buzzing as mace wielding Nightwings poured over the walls. If it weren't for our soldiers none of us would be alive now.

Grim ran through the panicked crowd, a hundred scattering humans fleeing in all directions as jackal headed monsters riding great insects dove down from the skies above them maces lashing out and blood sucking proboscis stabbing down. Feeling a presence behind him Grim glanced over his shoulder and saw one of the foul invaders pulling itself from the arrow ridden corpse of it's mount. It looked at him and snarled, a deep predatory noise, and advanced towards him. Frozen with fear the smelter worker found his feet locked in place and his mouth working in panicked motions as the monster strode towards him, mace raised to strike.

There was a flash of steel and a pained cry, the Nightwings hand swept from it's body by the sweep of a halberd and the beast spun on it's feet to face it's attacker. Commander Mountain struck again from his position low on the ground, taking off one of the invader's wings.

Grim fled, his control over his legs restored by the intervention of the commander, he ran towards the food silo. It had a roof, it had a door, it would be safe. It had to be safe. Past Christopher he fled, the warrior engaged in a frenzied battle with a mounted Nightwing.

Reaching the door to the silo Grim hauled the door open, blind to the blood coating the door, and staggered into the gloomy room, barrels and boxes of supplies piled high around him. Even as his breathing began to slow to normal a low growl caught his ear and the sound of something dragging across the floor began to move towards him.

Peering around a crate he saw a Nightwing, one of it's arms hanging limp, it's wings in tatters and one of it's legs dragging behind it. It's claws were coated in blood and the body of a man lay on the floor behind it. Grim crept away, trying to stay as quiet as he could, panic rising in his mind.

'I can smell you human, there is no point in hiding.'

Grim scrabbled at the boxes in front of him, desperately trying to get away from the creature behind him. As he hauled himself over a crate a sinewy hand wrapped around his ankle and he was jerked back onto the floor. Rolling over he found himself looking into the feverish dead eyes of the Nightwing, the stench of rotten flesh strong on it's breath.

'We will kill you all and nail your corpses to the walls of this place. Those of you we don't eat anyway,' the foul monster chuckled, it's claws reaching out to grip Grim's neck.

With a crash the door was thrown open and light streamed into the room, the shadows of two humans framed in the doorway. Two soldiers with spears lunged towards the Nightwing, war cries on their lips. The beasts reared back as steel spears tore into it's flesh and roared in pain.

When the creature lay still the soldiers turned and left to join the battle still raging outside. Grim crawled deeper into the stacks of boxes, curled up and sat and hugged his knees close to himself and shut his eyes tight until the screams and roars stopped.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 15, 2014, 08:30:38 am »

"From the diary of Komodo Dragon, blacksmith:

Yesterday we were assaulted by sentient nightwings - never seen one of those, actually. Traders and their guerds were the first to face the enemy: bought some time for our militia to pick up the gear. I also wanted to take part in a brawl: headed towards the armor stand and found myself nose-to-nose with a huge, bat-faced brute. Had no time to grab my mallet: I simply punched that thing right in its filthy mug. One of those monsters almost got Grim: good thing  Mountain and his boys took care of it."
ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

Mr.Mountain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 22, 2014, 12:35:22 pm »

This game is coming along as pretty amazing, so I just wanted to let you know that I'll be waiting for you to get into DF mood!  :D

also: shameless bump
no one could have anticipated this

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 21, 2014, 04:06:15 pm »

Sorry I took so long to get this up, been sitting on the notes for this update for about two weeks.

Lot's of people die in this town, I think it's because they don't get enough time to train between fights since I can't lock everyone up and keep them happy for long. Doing what I can to deal with that though.

Journal:

14th Granite
We have been restoring order following the Nightwing attack, but progress burying our dead and clearing up the debris has been slow. Some of the Nightwings linger in the wilds outside our town and attempts to drive them off seem fruitless. The recent tragic loss in the battle was compounded today when one of our miners came up from the caves bearing the body of Cryolite Granite. The poor soul was found at the bottom of an underground cliff-face. There were tracks that belong to a creature some of the cave workers have named Draltha near the top of the cliff. It would seem reasonable that one of the creatures attacked Cryolite and pushed her to her death.

19th Timber
The last of the Nightwings and their mounts have been slain, captured or driven away. We have begun carving new sarcophagi to inter our dead in the catacombs beneath the Great Hall.

1st Moonstone
In light of the near constant attacks upon our settlement Asa ordered the construction of a wall. Strangely the task was not given to the Masons but rather to those of use who work in the smelters and forges. We've allocated our copper to the task. Our wall will be smooth and fireproof, a dully shining barrier to all who would assault us.

8th Moonstone
One of the weaponsmiths who works under Dragon has been awfully distracted lately. Piling things up in the forges, mumbling, staring past us. I hope this isn't some sort of delayed reaction to the trauma of losing a friend in the recent battles.

15th Moonstone
I was helping to carry some ore from the caves today when this... thing lurched out of the shadows into the lights of our torches. It was horrible, like the elephants I've seen pictures of but covered in feathers and with a twisted bug like mouth, the way the thing squirmed made me feel unclean, some of the other townsmen vomited at the sight of this thing. We ran as fast as we could to leave the caves. Our soldiers were sent to fight the foul creature. They came back carrying one of them on their shoulder and cheering. They spent a few hours telling stories of the fight to the others. I didn't listen to them, I just need a drink so I can try to forget that foul thing.

19th Moonstone
The weaponsmith I mentioned earlier has locked herself in the forge. Nobody can get the door open, though we can hear the sound of hammering from the other side.

She emerged after quite some time holding a pig iron war hammer. It's a very fine weapon. Balanced, ornate, deadly.

10th Obsidian
White Tigermen have been spotted approaching the town. A group have been sighted heading towards the caves. Our animal trainers seem distraught by the idea, apparently they've been trying to breed giant spiders they caught in their traps in there.

They're trying to convince the soldiers to go protect the spiders. Let the eight legged monsters die I say.

15th Obsidian
The damn fools actually went out there to fight the tigermen! I understand that it was partly to protect the spiders but also in part because Asa didn't manage to reach the Great Hall in time and is trapped somewhere outside.

16th Obsidian
Tragedy has struck us. We saw it from the second floor of the hall, our soldiers were struck down, ripped apart by the tigermen. Commander Mountain was mobbed by a swarm of the damn savages. We've barred the door in case they try to batter it down. We'll wait them out, there's no food in the desert for them to live off of, and our farms are safe in the courtyard adjoining the hall.

22nd Obsidian
One of our tailors was looking out the window at the tigerman siege and spotted Asa. She's being chased around by the tigermen's trained cheetahs while our invaders stand and laugh at frantic attempts to keep away from their claws. The barbarous savages will pay for this someday.

26th Obsidian
The tigermen have left. Asa staggered into the hall alive, but exhausted and delirious with thirst and hunger. I sat with her while she described what she saw of the fight from outside the hall. By her account our soldiers were doomed by the sheer number of the enemy. With at least five tigermen to attack each of our men our warriors were forced onto the defensive and steadily worn down by small wounds until their defenses faltered.

The animal trainers reported that their damn spiders survived. Though apparently there's a bunch of web bound tigermen corpses in their breeding pen now.

28th Obsidian
Mr Mountain, Commander of our forces has been laid to rest in the catacombs. I regret that he and his men could not be given a better burial. Mountain's children are both too young to understand what has happened. I spoke to his wife, Kamva and assured her that there will be a reckoning in due time. Naspa Mountain, the elder of the commander's children knows that something bad happened to her father. I hope that in time she will be able to take revenge on the monsters that robbed her of her father.

15th Granite
One of our farmers is gathering together various bits and pieces in a crafters workshop.

14th Felsite
A group of elven traders came to our town today. They were ambushed by some sort of large bear people with black and white fur. We scraped up a militia and drove them away.

15th Felsite
The farmer presented Asa with his craft, an amulet made of hematite ore.

In other news our wall is largely completed. It has been a long and hard struggle to build so large a construction of metal, but it will be worth it if it saves but a few of our people. Though I want to help protect in a more direct fashion.

16th Felsite
In light of our military defeats I have decided that it is my duty to help protect my fellow townsmen. I have joined a newly formed squad and taken up the sword. I pray that I will not be found wanting when the next enemy encroaches upon our gates.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 21, 2014, 04:13:31 pm »

Aw, I died. :s

Ah well, it is the way the wind blows.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 21, 2014, 08:08:05 pm »

Aw, I died. :s

Ah well, it is the way the wind blows.

You did survive for about 5 years or so (I forget how long I've played it.) doing one of the more dangerous jobs in the game, what with the caverns which you were mining being filled with all sorts of horrible things.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Nebirius

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 22, 2014, 11:12:13 am »

This seems really cool(Actually reading it wanted to make me have a forum account then just read it for tips on my own games)

Senshuken

• Bay Watcher
  • Defend till the end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 22, 2014, 12:53:42 pm »

Any unclaimed people up for grabs? While I'm happy with the happy of my dearly departed former character (One of the only characters to die of natural causes unrelated to being ripped apart by animal people if I recall) His wife was going to shortly follow him into the grave due to old age and his daughter is far to young to be of use to the Abbey any time soon.

Other the being male and hopefully of an age that old age isn't going to be hanging over his head like a sword dangling from a strand of horse hair, I'll take whatever is open. The more useful to the Abbey, the better.
Cause every silver lining has a cloud, and it won't be alright on the night; There's nothing at the end of the rainbow and there's a tunnel at the end of the light!

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 22, 2014, 01:10:49 pm »

This seems really cool(Actually reading it wanted to make me have a forum account then just read it for tips on my own games)

Always nice to hear people are enjoying it.  :)

Any unclaimed people up for grabs? While I'm happy with the happy of my dearly departed former character (One of the only characters to die of natural causes unrelated to being ripped apart by animal people if I recall) His wife was going to shortly follow him into the grave due to old age and his daughter is far to young to be of use to the Abbey any time soon.

Other the being male and hopefully of an age that old age isn't going to be hanging over his head like a sword dangling from a strand of horse hair, I'll take whatever is open. The more useful to the Abbey, the better.

We have a plentiful supply of spare people, about one hundred or so. Give me a name and a preferred profession and I'll see what I can find that isn't already limping into the grave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Senshuken

• Bay Watcher
  • Defend till the end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 22, 2014, 01:36:31 pm »

Name: Senshuken

Profession: Archer.

If we don't have archers by this point, we should really think about making a squad. We have an awesome wall to shoot off of now after all.
Cause every silver lining has a cloud, and it won't be alright on the night; There's nothing at the end of the rainbow and there's a tunnel at the end of the light!

Nebirius

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 22, 2014, 01:50:30 pm »

Name: Nebbie
Class: wither something with gems or animals

other: could I be a girl?

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 22, 2014, 02:00:38 pm »

By the way, how's Komodo doing? Is he still making badass gear for the military?
ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 22, 2014, 03:07:36 pm »

Name: Nebbie
Class: wither something with gems or animals

other: could I be a girl?

Would this be a good one?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Name: Senshuken

Profession: Archer.

If we don't have archers by this point, we should really think about making a squad. We have an awesome wall to shoot off of now after all.

How about this guy?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

We do have an archer squad, though it's gone up and down in quality over time due to casualties in various fights.

By the way, how's Komodo doing? Is he still making badass gear for the military?

I mostly have him trying to make masterwork steel mail at the moment. It's taking a while since I have a weaponsmith making masterwork swords as well and only have two forges at the moment and one's being used by the non-legendary smiths.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8