Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Cleaning up a noob fort  (Read 2761 times)

YvAd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cleaning up a noob fort
« on: January 21, 2014, 04:48:49 pm »

I was going through my old saves, and found murderwheels. This is a terrifying biome, with a dwarf civ that hasn't sent trade caravans or diplomats in about 150 years. The fortress is 247 years old (assuming i started it at year 500, which i probably did) and has 86 people, with 2 of them military.
http://prntscr.com/2ldslz
There's like 9k food and 7k booze stored up. The entrance is 3 weapon traps full of hammers and maces to kill the zombies. Evidently i built this before knowing about quantum stockpiles, so crap is strewn everywhere.
I walled off the caverns and did a ton of adamantium mining, got military full adamantium armor and weapons.
http://prntscr.com/2ldutj
My dwarves all have 1x3 bedrooms with a cabinet, chest, bed, and door.

Basically, i'd like some tips on how to fix FPS on this fort(it's only playable on my newest computer) and how generally to make it better.
In the newest version, vampires deny being vampires. Try face-stabbing instead.

YvAd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cleaning up a noob fort
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 05:17:47 pm »

About 5 minutes after starting playing again on this one..
http://prntscr.com/2le6rq

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 05:26:14 pm »

Well in my experience it's much easier to prevent fps loss in the first place than fix it once it happens, so I honestly don't know if there's much we can do.  Atom smash or throw in magma as many items as possible first off, also if there is any liquid flowing anywhere try and stop it.  also, if any large amounts of creatures are trying to find their way around that can hurt fps too (say, contained HFS, or a walled out undead siege or something?)
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 05:33:48 pm »

You can't call that a noob fort if it's 247 years old!

In addition to what neblime said, try walling off any unused areas, and try setting pathing designations--high traffic for popular areas like the main hallway, low/restricted traffic for less-used areas like the cemetery.

YvAd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 06:05:20 pm »

Thanks for the advice. I'll start dumping spare clothes, weapons, and armor.
I mean noob fort as in it was my second fort, so i was learning how to play while making it. The pathing designations are really interesting, i hadn't ever really looked into them.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 06:10:39 pm »

The age alone is amazing, but for it to be your second fort... just, wow.  I rage quit SO MUCH when I first started playing! 

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 06:42:11 pm »

My god.

YvAd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 08:10:18 pm »

I've walled off the caverns, the rock mines, the tree farm, dumped over 10,000 items from goblins into the lava, and am in the process of moving to a QSP system and then dumping all these bins into the lava.
Thank you guys for your help.
On  a side note, goblin siege just walked into that titan on the surface that i didn't want to deal with. No matter who wins, it's good news :D

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 10:17:40 pm »

There is a DFhack utility for removing old dead units from memory, but I'm not familiar with it, you should look into that.

On a side note, 247 year old fort?! I don't think I've seen any mega-project take that long in a single fort. Did you turn pausing off and let your fortress run by itself for a few days?

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2014, 10:29:34 pm »

On  a side note, goblin siege just walked into that titan on the surface that i didn't want to deal with. No matter who wins, it's good news :D

In my experience, they team up in their lust for your dwarves deaths. Happens all the time, even back to the days of boatsmurdered when goblins and elephants teamed up for sweet dwarfy doom

YvAd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2014, 02:03:24 am »

I just usually have DF open in the background while i work. I've never really done a megaproject on this fort, just many survival oriented buildings and a lot of failed projects. (Walling up the caverns cost me a lot of dwarves.) Once i got the fort running safely and walled off the surface, i could leave it fairly safely for long periods of time. i played much more actively for the first ~75 years while i was trying to get everything working. I edited the announcements file to make it pause when a dwarf died and killed off all the animals, so i never had surprise reanimation after the first couple of times stupid mistakes almost got me. The whole fort is deliberately compartmentalized; a raging dwarf in my first fort killed over 40 dwarves because i couldn't stop him, this way i can just lock him in and he'll starve.
As to the dead unit memory cleaner thingie, that could be really good. There's 9k dead in this fort. 
The goblins executed the titan in about 10 seconds, then its reanimated corpse and the local undead wildlife that never leaves killed all the goblins eventually. Side note, undead things seem to keep their building destroyer and trapavoid status. The damn titan corpse cut a miner's arm off and shattered a child's lower spine. That and troll corpses keep breaking doors that are unlocked!  They can walk right through, they just seem to prefer to wreck an iron door.

Will_Tuna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2014, 02:32:00 am »

It is best to give them an artifact furniture to destroy, it will take forever, then dump some magma on it
True story: In the year 2007: Surinder Singh Bajwa, the Deputy Mayor of Delhi, India, was warding off several Rhesus Macaque monkeys at his home and fell from a first-floor balcony, suffering serious head injuries. He later died from his injuries.

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2014, 07:17:25 am »

I didnt think this was possible. I thought you would run out of memory.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2014, 07:23:51 am »

I didnt think this was possible. I thought you would run out of memory.

Flarechannel back in 40d lasted 213 years, and it was a massive megaproject of a fortress. And I say "lasted" only because I don't know if it officially died; I think QuantumSawdust just stopped playing it after finishing the megaproject.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

evilman222

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2014, 10:09:29 am »

Jesus... I can never get a fort past fifteen years, and thats playing constantly for two weeks.
Pages: [1] 2