Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Character Building Help  (Read 2177 times)

TortuousAugur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Character Building Help
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2014, 11:59:40 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Thanks! I know there is the adventure quick start guide on the wiki, but this gives a little more insight as why you are spending points in each skill.

I came out with this for final:
Not shown is novice reader for necromancy.

TheSaberTooth

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:BITE:16]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2014, 01:02:01 am »

make an Elf Markswoman
You would have doomed yourself with that one. 
I came out with this for final:
Not shown is novice reader for necromancy.
Now THIS is an Adventurer.  :P
When all is lost, remember the bees.
What the fuck. Is some random undorfed recruit now our new Darkwing? Hell, even Darkwing just managed to kill two clowns before he went down. It's beyond me that a frigging recruit in the Official Voidspawn Feeding Detachment managed a triple kill on Forgotten Armokhumping Beasts.

Grombardrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2014, 05:38:14 am »

Hmm.  I'm wondering how feasible a 2h build would be (Grombardrim likes Halberds for their sharp edges and pointy spikes)...  I'm guessing I'd have to ramp Dodger up like a boss and pray to god I don't encounter Markscreatures?
We're basically feasting on eldritch abomination cookies. I love this game.

Starweaver396

• Bay Watcher
  • Misplaced
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2014, 12:28:20 pm »

By the way, if you wish to swim, you need at least adequate swimmer. Oops. I think you drown with anything less, but you may be able to hop in and out with novice...  :-\
...a limbless, headless, bloodless and mutilated dwarf torso that is nevertheless kept alive through benevolent faerie magicks. He is blind, helpless, and in excruciating pain, and yet does not die...
E: I should point out that this is all because of Starweaver giving me inspiration   Aren't you happy with yourself, Starweaver?

Grombardrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2014, 01:08:11 pm »

Question: Knife build, focused on throwing and sneaking...  What skillset should I choose at the beginning?

Right now I was thinking (at least for Demigod, once I get more skilled in Adventure mode I might try Heroes and Peasants):

High Strength
Superior Agility
High Toughness
High Endurance
V.L. Analytical Ability
Superior Willpower
Above Average Focus
V.L. Creativity
V.L. Patience
V.L. Linguistic Ability
V.L. Musicality

Talented Knife User
Adequate Observer
Novice Swimmer
Novice Ambusher
Talented Shield User
Novice Armor User
Talented Dodger

My idea for this build would be a sneaky Rogue-type character, focusing on light armor and fast movement (thus Elf) to keep everything away from me and force them to fight on my terms.  Although if people think that's stupid, I might just mod in some steel-statted "Leather Armor"...

Starweaver396

• Bay Watcher
  • Misplaced
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2014, 01:15:07 pm »

Unless you plan on wandering around for hours in the first village in sneak, you might need to up it a bit.

And since you have novice swimmer, test out your ability to swim. Does he flounder or not?
...a limbless, headless, bloodless and mutilated dwarf torso that is nevertheless kept alive through benevolent faerie magicks. He is blind, helpless, and in excruciating pain, and yet does not die...
E: I should point out that this is all because of Starweaver giving me inspiration   Aren't you happy with yourself, Starweaver?

Grombardrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2014, 01:25:16 pm »

From what I gather, Novice swimmers can swim just fine as long as they aren't stunned, which shouldn't be too hard in Adventure Mode (you can choose to walk into the water instead of falling into it, so no stun thus no floundering.  I tend to swim naked for both RP reasons and to increase swimming speed cause I believe it helps increase skill gain)

Wandering around for hours in sneak isn't really a problem.  I don't mind grinding if I have to (and in Dwarf Fortress, you pretty much have to)

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2014, 03:32:44 pm »

I despise grinding, unless it's "crab training" where you repeatedly auto-wrestle a crab (so it won't bleed to death) until you're legendary fighter/wrestler, because when you do crab training you can just hold down a button for a few minutes, checking every once in a while to see how good you are.

Yeah, novice swimmer is fine. You're really slow and die if you're stunned, but it's adequate for crossing rivers. You want to go in circles in a pond if you started novice and wanted to swim an ocean or hunt in a river; you want around Competent to have an oceanswimmnig chance, and at least skilled if you want to swim the length of a river or something.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Grombardrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2014, 03:36:29 pm »

Auto-wrestling?  How exactly does that work?  I've got Throwing down easy (drop my equipment in one place cause superstition, go to a place where "sand" or something is 'a,' load my Throwing Macro and press 'ctrl+p' over and over and over again...  Does HOLDING 'ctrl+p' work too?!)

Also, I can't seem to find any harmless wildlife >.<  Just lice and other tiny animals, that I can't attack...

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2014, 03:45:24 pm »

Auto-wrestling?  How exactly does that work?  I've got Throwing down easy (drop my equipment in one place cause superstition, go to a place where "sand" or something is 'a,' load my Throwing Macro and press 'ctrl+p' over and over and over again...  Does HOLDING 'ctrl+p' work too?!)

Also, I can't seem to find any harmless wildlife >.<  Just lice and other tiny animals, that I can't attack...

Crabs are more common on beaches, if that's what you would prefer.

My knowledge of wrestling crabs is that you grab them so they can't try to escape then just wait on the spot as they try to attack you. Be sure to wear a few layers of clothes or some proper armour to lower any damage they could do.

Basically this:

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2014, 05:54:45 pm »

My knowledge of wrestling crabs is that you grab them so they can't try to escape then just wait on the spot as they try to attack you. Be sure to wear a few layers of clothes or some proper armour to lower any damage they could do.

Basically this:

Basically this:

Actually, what I had been doing was setting "auto-attack" to "Close Combat" and holding a button against the crab.

A few minutes later, I never fail to strangle people ever again.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Grombardrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2014, 05:57:04 pm »

That's...  That's just...  GENIUS!

And then the crab sidesteps.  Cause that's what crabs do.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2014, 04:01:46 am »

No, once you've successfully grabbed the crab, you usually have at least one hold still active, so no dodging possible. One of the wrestling moves is "throw", however, which means you hurl the poor beast around and have to pick it up again.

Crabs also have their pincers, which can cut pretty deep. I had an armoured dwarf killed by crabs in fort mode once - one of them managed to sneak a pincer through the mail and snip through the spinal cord. An adventurer also lost all use of one hand from wrestling a crab.

Kestrels, crows, groundhogs, weasels and foxes can scratch and bite, but never seem to do real damage. It'd be a good idea to be fully clothed: if they manage to scratch a nail, it will never heal and gets infected sooner or later. Infections usually don't kill an adventurer directly, but they count as minor blood loss and thus make you a bit less durable.

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2014, 05:47:20 am »

Basically this:

I did this once with a crippled bronze colossus. I managed to train my fighter, wrestler, armor user, dodger and sword skill a lot, but then the colossus randomly counsterstruck me by pushing my skull in.

The lesson of the story? Always train with things smaller than you. They won't push your brain out.

Werebeasts in their human form are very good sparring buddies, especially if you have blunt weapon. Just break their legs and then wrestle with them whole night.

Grombardrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2014, 07:06:49 am »

Hmm.  I'll have to try this, in that case.

And pray to God that my arms don't just randomly drop off (Genesis Reborn Fallen character, so pretty much a zombie)
Pages: 1 [2] 3