Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A question about Item Quality  (Read 879 times)

kuudou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A question about Item Quality
« on: January 21, 2014, 02:12:29 pm »

Hello,

I actually did do a search for this question, but most of the answers are kind of vague (this includes answers from the wiki). So here it is:

My current adventurer is Legendary +* in every combat skill due to wrasslin' with dingoes and hacking a bunch of things to death. In my travels I came upon a  Masterfully Crafted Iron Battle Axe that has served me quite well. However even with my Legendary Status in axe-wielding my axe still consistently bounces off of goblin iron armor. Which forces me to cut off their limbs and watch them bleed to death.

I stormed a Necromancer tower recently, and on one of the dwarf zombie corpses I found the first Steel equipment in my current world (new world, no abandoned forts yet). Fortunately for me it turned out to be a Steel Battle Axe, just normal quality though.

Now I naturally assumed that my Masterfully Crafted Iron Battle axe should be much better than a normal quality Steel Battle Axe (since the Wiki says Masterfully crafted gives a 12x multiplier to hit damage or something). But through extensive testing (hacking apart goblins), it turns out the Steel Axe has no problems tearing right through small iron breastplates and helmets. So does being made from Steel automatically makes the weapon way better than a Masterfully crafted version of the previous metal? Which weapon would serve me better in this case? I would rather not carry two Battle axes around with me.

Much thanks.

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A question about Item Quality
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 02:32:35 pm »

I think the 12x modifier is actually for artifacts. Anyway, I believe damage modifier applies to damage actually caused, rather than material comparisons, so the iron one could potentially be better at cutting flesh while the steel one has a massive advantage in armour penetration, cutting through anything except adamatine, presumably. So yeah, the steel one is probably the one worth going for.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 02:35:22 pm »

Masterwork: X2 to hi compared to base.
Artifact: X3.

if you are legendary, you don't need the hit bonus since you will connect anyway, son its better to use the better metal.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

kuudou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 03:09:03 pm »

Masterwork: X2 to hi compared to base.
Artifact: X3.

if you are legendary, you don't need the hit bonus since you will connect anyway, son its better to use the better metal.

I think the 12x modifier is actually for artifacts. Anyway, I believe damage modifier applies to damage actually caused, rather than material comparisons, so the iron one could potentially be better at cutting flesh while the steel one has a massive advantage in armour penetration, cutting through anything except adamatine, presumably. So yeah, the steel one is probably the one worth going for.

The consensus is the Steel Axe. So Steel it is. I might as well drop the Mastercraft Iron then since the shops don't carry anything worth buying.

Thanks.

EDIT

Also don't mean to go off topic but I have another question about armor.

My armor use is also in the Legendary bits. But I had an near-death experience where a goblin zombie was  able to punch through my superior quality Iron Gauntlet, which bruised my arm and made me drop all of my three shields I was carrying on that arm. It then proceeded to punch through my superior chainmail and other gauntlet. The same armor that would deflect iron bolts from an elite live Goblin crossbowman. Thankfully I landed a limb hit and it fell over (or stunned, wasn't sure) and I was able to stand up and hobble away to recover.

So was the zombie really lucky in this case. Or was she some sort of legend in her previous life? I play more cautiously now because of this freak incident.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 03:13:16 pm by kuudou »

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 10:46:16 pm »

Some zombies I've fought have had insane strength for no real reason. Part of what makes them so dangerous. Similarly I've had more than a few legendary heroes with steel/candy armor be demolished in a couple rounds by unarmored human civilians carrying small knives.

kuudou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 01:42:00 am »

Some zombies I've fought have had insane strength for no real reason. Part of what makes them so dangerous. Similarly I've had more than a few legendary heroes with steel/candy armor be demolished in a couple rounds by unarmored human civilians carrying small knives.

So...RNG?

Bah.

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 10:00:24 am »

So...RNG?

Bah.

Well not quite RNG, IIRC when one becomes a zombie all their strength either doubles or triples or something. So if they were particularly strong before, they're insanely strong now

kuudou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 05:14:08 pm »

So...RNG?

Bah.

Well not quite RNG, IIRC when one becomes a zombie all their strength either doubles or triples or something. So if they were particularly strong before, they're insanely strong now

Oh gotcha. Thanks.