Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Release: Adventurer-Dwarf Fortress Relationships  (Read 2509 times)

onell

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
New Release: Adventurer-Dwarf Fortress Relationships
« on: January 20, 2014, 02:08:08 pm »

In the new release we'll be able to leave fortresses and start a new game without said fortresses being abandoned.

So I was thinking if we had a fortress set up with hospitals, military etc and we started as an adventurer and they got injured will we be able to retire our adenturers in our past fortresses, reclaim our fortress and heal our adventurer and maybe train them up a bit then start adventuring again with our freshly healed adventurers?

If so can any of you guys think of what other possibilities will exist with adventurers being retired into our dwarf fortresses?  :D

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New Release: Adventurer-Dwarf Fortress Relationships
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 02:35:17 pm »

Hm, sounds like it could work and since adventurers can migrate to your fort, there is nothing stopping you from settling on a former fort of yours. The health bit may only work if you're a dwarf though.

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 02:47:34 pm »

I've always wanted to make a hub site for my adventurers, a mass retirement location where they can dump loot and put their feet up for awhile. Abandoned forts have fit the bill so far, but an active site with supportive dwarves to tend wounds and train skills while retired would be helpful.
If retired adventurers and their companions count as fortress citizens,There's the benefit of a sort of on-demand migrant wave with guaranteed combat skills. As citizens, it might be possible to assign them labors, as well. They get work done for you and train up their attributes in the process.
Lastly, if citizenship for a retired adventurer isn't race-dependent, I can finally fulfill my dream of a multiracial fort without having to cobble together another god-awful 'all-the-races-in-the-game-as-castes' creature. I just make a non-dwarf adventurer, gather up as many non-dwarf companions as will follow me to dwarfville, and voila, my own little wannabe Alliance.
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 05:12:28 pm »

It'll be easier than ever to get vampire adventurers and vampire fortresses now.

If you defeat one vampire as an adventurer (which is not terribly difficult to do thus far) you'll be able to turn that person into a vampire and retire them in a fort. From there, the possibilities are manifold. Want a hardy crew of demigod vampire dwarf adventuring companions? You've got it. Want an unstoppable squad of vampiredwarves defending your vampire fortress? You've got it. Want to unleash dozens or even hundreds of vampires on an unsuspecting world and watch them chew through history? Just convert your fort to vampires and abandon it. Heck, you could mass produce thousands of vampires over time with successive abandonments and reclaims. You could create an Age of Vampiredwarves.

Hm. Maybe this "become a vampire by drinking vampire blood" thing could stand to be rethought. No one tell Toady of this.
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 06:16:05 pm »

It'll be easier than ever to get vampire adventurers and vampire fortresses now.

If you defeat one vampire as an adventurer (which is not terribly difficult to do thus far) you'll be able to turn that person into a vampire and retire them in a fort. From there, the possibilities are manifold. Want a hardy crew of demigod vampire dwarf adventuring companions? You've got it. Want an unstoppable squad of vampiredwarves defending your vampire fortress? You've got it. Want to unleash dozens or even hundreds of vampires on an unsuspecting world and watch them chew through history? Just convert your fort to vampires and abandon it. Heck, you could mass produce thousands of vampires over time with successive abandonments and reclaims. You could create an Age of Vampiredwarves.

Hm. Maybe this "become a vampire by drinking vampire blood" thing could stand to be rethought. No one tell Toady of this.

Hell no it doesn't need rethinking, this is an amazing story possibility thing.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 03:09:27 pm »

I've always wanted to make a hub site for my adventurers, a mass retirement location where they can dump loot and put their feet up for awhile. Abandoned forts have fit the bill so far, but an active site with supportive dwarves to tend wounds and train skills while retired would be helpful.

My interest in adventure mode would skyrocket.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 05:43:02 pm »

And now, since there are dwarven sites in adventure mode, you can actually play as dwarves without being gimped by armor sizes.