Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Re-binding direction keys  (Read 1072 times)

ragman le bon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re-binding direction keys
« on: January 20, 2014, 11:39:00 am »

I've read the wiki page http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Key_bindings and studied data/init/interface (and searched this forum) but I still can't work out how to re bind the arrow direction keys. I've got a bad right wrist and the constant use of the right hand for moving around the map sets it off, I want to remap left down right up to something like \ z x s (not in use when viewing the map?) so I can use my left hand and press c, k, v etc. with my right hand.

Can anyone help me out?

ragman le bon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Re-binding direction keys
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 01:34:10 pm »

Maybe I'll try a bit harder to work it out myself. Got to figure it out before the new version because as things stand I can't play this game! I suppose it's possible the direction keys can't be re-mapped?

Maolagin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 02:36:41 pm »

I've read the wiki page http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Key_bindings and studied data/init/interface (and searched this forum) but I still can't work out how to re bind the arrow direction keys. I've got a bad right wrist and the constant use of the right hand for moving around the map sets it off, I want to remap left down right up to something like \ z x s (not in use when viewing the map?) so I can use my left hand and press c, k, v etc. with my right hand.

Can anyone help me out?

You're right, I don't see a way to remap that via interface.txt. However, it looks like you can rebind those actions in-game, although it'll be a bit tedious.

Load up your game, hit <ESC> like you're going to save, and select Key Bindings.

Under General, page down a bit and you have a whole bunch of "Move view/cursor" options. Right, left, down and left, up and left fast, etc. You can go through each of those and assign whatever you want. Make sure to select "Save and exit" on your way out of the key bindings screen.

If I can make a suggestion, though -- I'm sure DF isn't the only game/program that causes you to work the arrow keys. I'd really recommend you go out and buy a USB numeric keypad, then you can have a set of arrows and numbers to the left of your keyboard or wherever else you want.

ragman le bon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 03:36:36 pm »

Thank you Maolagin thats very helpful, I'd forgotten or didn't really know about that Key Bindings menu. DF is the only game I really play and because the cursor  recentres inbetween pressing c, v, k, t etc. I find myself leaning on the cursor keys a lot more than in anything else. I use a wireless keyboard and sit (or lie) about ten feet from a 40" screen fully zoomed in. So having just the one keyboard on my lap is what I really want  :)