Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Challenge/Question  (Read 548 times)

Grombardrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Challenge/Question
« on: January 20, 2014, 09:01:41 am »

So, I've been considering trying to start a fortress in order to domesticate, breed and train Rocs for war...  Is there anyone who's done this before and can give me tips, advice, or even just amusing stories about their "tame" Rocs?
We're basically feasting on eldritch abomination cookies. I love this game.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Challenge/Question
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 12:40:49 pm »

Two things:

1) You'll have to be patient. Above-ground megabeasts don't attack very often, and the type of beast is random. Unless you savescum every time you get a megabeast you don't want, this project could easily take 30 years or more. Then again, you might get lucky and get it done in 10.
2) Your rocs will lay "dud" eggs about half the time, even if you have an eligible male on the map. I don't know of any way to tell if the egg will hatch or not other than to wait and see. If an egg hasn't hatched after a couple seasons, it never will.

Grombardrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 02:37:49 pm »

Right, that much I gathered from the wiki, but I was wondering if anyone had successfully done this before.  From what you're saying, I'll gather probably not?
We're basically feasting on eldritch abomination cookies. I love this game.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 03:05:45 pm »

I've done it. It took me until about year 50 to get a breeding pair (I had three females before the first male). I haven't used the rocs in combat much, since my soldiers are more than a match for anything, and it was never my plan for the fort to make rocs part of the defensive strategy.