Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 20

Author Topic: Postmodernism vs Bay12 - Deathmatch 2014. aka feminist programming languages  (Read 28851 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Towards feminist programming languages
« Reply #240 on: February 03, 2014, 04:10:12 pm »

M is like the little brother who follows everybody else when they go out to build a club house. He goes from person to person, asking if he can help, and sometimes they indulge him by getting him to hold a nail or pass that saw, but in the end it is S, T and E that build the damn club house... Later on when they get back home and their parents ask them what they did for the day, M tells them about how he did all the really important stuff out of a juvenile sense of self worth, while E is already thinking about improvements to be made, T is pulling splinters from their fingers ready for more work tomorrow, and S has gone out to obtain some more wood and nails to build the damn thing!

In case you were wondering, the club house is society, and the wood is human knowledge.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: February 03, 2014, 05:05:24 pm »

M is like the little brother who follows everybody else when they go out to build a club house. He goes from person to person, asking if he can help, and sometimes they indulge him by getting him to hold a nail or pass that saw, but in the end it is S, T and E that build the damn club house... Later on when they get back home and their parents ask them what they did for the day, M tells them about how he did all the really important stuff out of a juvenile sense of self worth, while E is already thinking about improvements to be made, T is pulling splinters from their fingers ready for more work tomorrow, and S has gone out to obtain some more wood and nails to build the damn thing!

In case you were wondering, the club house is society, and the wood is human knowledge.

I think you could freely swap S,T,E and M and it would still make sense.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: February 04, 2014, 01:02:01 pm »

I think you could freely swap S,T,E and M and it would still make sense.
OK, us STEM people/STEM people-in-training should stop arguing about who's the best and agree that we're all better than the Liberal Arts people.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: February 04, 2014, 02:27:33 pm »

The STEM arguments will continue until morale improves.
They forgot about Economics, which is just applied Sociology. And, while I'm at it, Business is just applied Economics.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: February 04, 2014, 03:38:39 pm »

Whoa whoa whoa - economics is clearly the bastard love-child of mathematics, greed and human nature!
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 04, 2014, 03:43:45 pm »

Where does game theory fit in?
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: February 04, 2014, 03:45:24 pm »

Right next to Business - it's applied Economics.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: February 04, 2014, 03:48:37 pm »

Nope - lesser field of mathematics, which we whore out when we need more booze. Statistics usually looks after it.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: February 04, 2014, 03:50:25 pm »

But game theory is all about creating rules to try to get behavior out of people. Sounds an awful lot like a subset of economics to me.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: February 04, 2014, 04:12:30 pm »

But game theory is all about creating rules to try to get behavior out of people. Sounds an awful lot like a subset of economics to me.

Game Theory is a result of a one-night stand between Math and Economics.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: February 04, 2014, 11:19:22 pm »

The discussion about STEM is very stupid to my uninformed opinion. Taking any of them away renders all completely and utterly purposeless. Moreso then Liberal arts Majors by far, I must add. Regardless of who is simply a bottle-neck and who is the lion share, none of them can be completely extracted from the others without losing all usefulness.

And if it's useless, you lose funding and can't get a job. Mathematics is just applied employment. Economics is applied employment. Sociology is applied employment. No one makes theories if you are starving in the streets.

And thus everything is applied being alive. Even biology; you can't study biology without being alive. And sentience.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: February 04, 2014, 11:24:06 pm »

I would say maths and economics have a slightly closer relationship than one night stands... Think of them as friends with benefits.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: February 04, 2014, 11:29:39 pm »

So where does political science fit in this hierarchy of snobbery? Can someone tell me what shade of untermensch I am?

I didn't do it just to see the rage from people insisting that it isn't a real science. I swear.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: February 04, 2014, 11:32:11 pm »

I would say maths and economics have a slightly closer relationship than one night stands... Think of them as friends with benefits.

Yeah, but maths gets no benefit from the relationship. It's more like a parasitic friendship, where one friend exploits the other and likes to name-drop because the exploited friend has a better reputation. Like Economics uses Maths to help pull the girls because Maths is smarter, more refined, whiter teeth, but when it comes time to make a move he shoves Maths aside and takes the girl for himself, leaving Maths a dried up husk on the floor who's going home alone, again.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 20