Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 20

Author Topic: Postmodernism vs Bay12 - Deathmatch 2014. aka feminist programming languages  (Read 28875 times)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: Towards feminist programming languages
« Reply #165 on: January 22, 2014, 06:10:07 am »

You can't have a 3rd option, and still use a boolean.

True, false, and null.  Which would be... kinda appropriate, provided your table design allows it.
Actually that is very language specific. Nullable booleans are a feature of more higher level languages typical these days, but there was a point in the past where they didn't real. Your boolean is actually a pointer to a boolean, and that boolean may only be true of false, but the pointer may be null.

Why, back in my day...

* Skyrunner shakes fist

(More seriously, languages like C, C++, and I think Java don't have null as an option for booleans. Don't quote me on the Java one though.)

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 22, 2014, 06:11:09 am »

In some situations, picking a minimalist datatype and abusing the shit out of it is still somewhat sensible.

Take for instance, an embedded system with mere kilobytes of memory-- OR-- a very very massive database with millions of records inside it that has to all be in memory simultaneously for performance reasons. Having a large structure that maximizes extensibility and flexibility of the object makes sense for situations where the code does not execute continually, or is unlikely to cause IO bounding issues.  For situations where reducing the number of bits being parsed can result in orders of magnitude performance increases, or where the number of bits is simply a limited commodity, abusing minimalist datatypes still makes sense.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 22, 2014, 06:11:57 am »

You can't have a 3rd option, and still use a boolean.

True, false, and null.  Which would be... kinda appropriate, provided your table design allows it.
Actually that is very language specific. Nullable booleans are a feature of more higher level languages typical these days, but there was a point in the past where they didn't real. Your boolean is actually a pointer to a boolean, and that boolean may only be true of false, but the pointer may be null.

Why, back in my day...

* Skyrunner shakes fist

(More seriously, languages like C, C++, and I think Java don't have null as an option for booleans. Don't quote me on the Java one though.)
Pretty sure Java's boolean primitive can't have null as a value. Java has the Boolean wrapper class, though, which can.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 22, 2014, 06:45:43 am »

Quote from: Skyrunner link=topic=135645.msg4941267#msg4941267

C and C++ allow pointers, which can be Null. C++ and Java allow references. uninitialized (null) pointers or references basically mean you aren't referencing any memory for the object, this could be interpreted as a third state for boolean values accessed by a pointer or reference. (easier with a pointer as the systems are a lot more restrictive / safe for references)

But ... using nullness of a pointer as data itself sounds like really bad form. At best, interpret it as "we have no data on this".

Booleans are just booleans in any basic language (though as said, for processing speed purposes, they're coded in the smallest wordsize for the architecture, usually 1 byte). In a database, they're null only because there's an actual pointer in the database field that is null.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 06:59:25 am by Reelya »

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #169 on: January 22, 2014, 07:20:12 am »

I don't think you can actually make a null reference in C++...

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 22, 2014, 08:04:01 am »

PTW, how did this get so big so fast?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 22, 2014, 10:56:25 am »

PTW, how did this get so big so fast?

Derails. So many different derails.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 22, 2014, 12:14:38 pm »

Actually, this derail into whether binary can encode gender isn't a far off derail as you would think.

Remember paraconsistent logic et al? That could be used to encode gender. How about a 4-state system of gender identification:

- male
- female
- both
- neither

Pretty much encompasses all possibilities. But, rather than now treat this as an atomic 4-value relationship, we can realize it's now two independent binaries:

- male bit
- female bit

^ this now has the advantage that you can encode people's identification with either gender separately. And it no longer has the "which sex is 1 and 0" dispute. But, it's now done away with all the funky exotic logic systems, showing that they can just boil down to binary systems by changing our assumption that the two elements are opposites.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 12:16:21 pm by Reelya »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 22, 2014, 01:07:55 pm »

i don't actually care wether all the classes and functions in the code of my word processor are called "penis" and various immaturities, as long as the program works and doesn't contain these immaturities itself.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 22, 2014, 01:10:40 pm »

The no-penis lobby is a different group. And yes, they very much care whether source code contains the word "penis". (Note, some commentators on the above article pointed out that some of the "sexist" examples are actually code fragments from a swear-word filter).

This thread is more about whether objects are inherently masculine thinking (object -> subject/object -> objectification), and should we abolish object-oriented programming for that reason.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 01:16:41 pm by Reelya »

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 22, 2014, 03:55:10 pm »

I objectify the hell out of objects.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 22, 2014, 05:20:54 pm »

i don't actually care wether all the classes and functions in the code of my word processor are called "penis" and various immaturities, as long as the program works and doesn't contain these immaturities itself.
Nobody cares about it... until it's your job to update it to the next version, and every object, class, and function is some variation on the words "dumb", "shit", and "penis"; then you care deeply. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 22, 2014, 05:24:52 pm »

The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 22, 2014, 05:25:22 pm »

Still better that calling all your variables 'x', 'y', and so on, and naming every function function() or method() or doStuff()... Still, I hope if you ever write code for a living, you do it right!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 22, 2014, 05:36:25 pm »

Writing code like that is how you keep a job.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 20