Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 20

Author Topic: Postmodernism vs Bay12 - Deathmatch 2014. aka feminist programming languages  (Read 28880 times)

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
Re: Towards feminist programming languages
« Reply #135 on: January 21, 2014, 07:12:22 pm »

Maybe Gloria added a few extra zeroes because Gloria was bad at math.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 21, 2014, 07:54:34 pm »

Maybe she thought that single zero there looked lonely?

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 21, 2014, 07:56:02 pm »

Maybe she thought that single zero there looked lonely?
I bet she thought it needed like minded individuals to discuss it's thoughts with.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 21, 2014, 08:04:19 pm »

Also

Would be one phallic number and one vaginal number (as mentioned previously).

Is a lot less masculine of a number, overall.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 21, 2014, 08:20:56 pm »

idk about that. Anything "over 9000" is clearly pretty macho

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 21, 2014, 08:24:16 pm »

Postmodern relativism believes that all truth is relative. e.g. 2+2=4 is only true because mathematicians say so. I've heard people at my Uni say this to my face.

2+2 could equal 4.3 in an "alternate number system" that's "equally valid", according to the guy I talked to.
You could totally make up a system of math that does exactly that, and it'd work just fine. However, doing so will only really confuse people and for zero benefit.

Sometimes it's useful though. We very commonly use an "alternate number system" in computing: base 16. Using letters to represent numbers; how horrifying!

We use arbitrary symbols to represent things. In that sense, yes, things are the way they are solely because someone out there says so. The concepts the symbols represent, however, do NOT change. 0xF is == to decimal 15, despite using different symbols. The concept of the number 15 remains the same.

I don't think I attacked your actual point in any way, but use better examples :P
I used this example, because it is literally exactly what the guy said to my face. If I'd been making one up, I would have gone one better.

No, i looked at it. Tell me which numeral base you can use to make 2+2=4.3. I tried, it cannot be done. Not even by allowing fractional bases.

It's only possible if you change what "2" means, what "4" means and what the point sign "." mean. But that's clearly not what the guy was saying.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 08:28:37 pm by Reelya »

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 21, 2014, 08:26:34 pm »

Postmodern relativism believes that all truth is relative. e.g. 2+2=4 is only true because mathematicians say so. I've heard people at my Uni say this to my face.

2+2 could equal 4.3 in an "alternate number system" that's "equally valid", according to the guy I talked to.
You could totally make up a system of math that does exactly that, and it'd work just fine. However, doing so will only really confuse people and for zero benefit.

Sometimes it's useful though. We very commonly use an "alternate number system" in computing: base 16. Using letters to represent numbers; how horrifying!

We use arbitrary symbols to represent things. In that sense, yes, things are the way they are solely because someone out there says so. The concepts the symbols represent, however, do NOT change. 0xF is == to decimal 15, despite using different symbols. The concept of the number 15 remains the same.

I don't think I attacked your actual point in any way, but use better examples :P
No, i looked at it. Tell me which numeral base you can use to make 2+2=4.3. I tried, it cannot be done. Not even by allowing fractional bases.
Use a different numbering system. 2=1. 4.3=2. 1+1=2. Therefore, 2+2=4.3.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 21, 2014, 08:29:44 pm »

Maybe the extra zeroes were there to show that the girls were eating zero food.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 21, 2014, 08:35:36 pm »

I used this example, because it is literally exactly what the guy said to my face. If I'd been making one up, I would have gone one better.

It's only possible if you change what "2" means, what "4" means and what the point sign "." mean. But that's clearly not what the guy was saying.
You could also redefine what "+" and "=" mean, if you really wanted to fuck with some heads. But it would still be the same thing - arbitrary reassignment of common terms for the sole purpose(s) of being a smart-ass and/or intentionally wearing away at common terminology for no good reason.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 21, 2014, 08:39:16 pm »

You could also redefine what "+" and "=" mean, if you really wanted to fuck with some heads. But it would still be the same thing - arbitrary reassignment of common terms for the sole purpose(s) of being a smart-ass and/or intentionally wearing away at common terminology for no good reason.
ie: what the article quoted in the OP is doing.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 21, 2014, 08:43:59 pm »

ie: what the article quoted in the OP is doing.

I'd give her just a little more credit than that. She actually believes she can throw out the object-oriented model, procedural coding paradigms themselves, not merely change the terminology. The very relationship of the elements in the code will change more than just refactoring.

And the same thing with research into feminist critiques of logic. Rejecting binary logic (in the sense of the law of identity) is not just a relabeling. Paraconsistent logic has it's own set of rules which do not equate to traditional logic.

Right now there are many different ways to notate logic, which are equivalent. e.g. visual venn diagrams equate to written forms, as does set theory. Paraconsistent logic will need it's own visual forms, it's own unique version of set theory.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 08:47:32 pm by Reelya »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 21, 2014, 08:46:54 pm »

You people aren't seriously taking that stupid "feminist programming language" gag seriously, are you?

Wait, is there someone taking that feminist programming language gag seriously?  Or is the gag making fun of them?  Is this a chicken and egg problem?  Was that a pun?

Hmm... Okay, I like the idea of it being all object oriented, to avoid the inherent power structure of static classes.  And it needs to have multiple inheritance, because screw your conservative single-parentage system.  "What-if-any container is this object in" should be a standard feature of objects because you need to respect how the object has aligned itself...
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 21, 2014, 08:48:17 pm »

You people aren't seriously taking that stupid "feminist programming language" gag seriously, are you?
Dude, the serious one was the inspiration for the gag. Here is the know your meme reference to the gag:
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/events/c-plus-equality-c

Here is the inspiration for the gag:
http://www.hastac.org/blogs/ari-schlesinger/2013/11/26/feminism-and-programming-languages

Note, that all the authors and citations she gives are REAL postmodernist feminist writings. There's not a thing on that page that doesn't check out as valid research.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 08:52:31 pm by Reelya »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 21, 2014, 08:50:44 pm »

I really like how people come into this thread going "You guys are so immature" and read the OP and go "Well shit."
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 21, 2014, 08:51:48 pm »

I really like how people come into this thread going "You guys are so immature" and read the OP and go "Well shit."

I knew about both of them, I just figured the blog was part of the gag.  And I was setting up my pun.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 20