Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 20

Author Topic: Postmodernism vs Bay12 - Deathmatch 2014. aka feminist programming languages  (Read 28884 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Towards feminist programming languages
« Reply #105 on: January 21, 2014, 05:23:02 pm »

I'm not the first to point this out, but Unix's repository of all truth are the "man" pages. The "man" always thinks it knows better than you. Very similar to the feminist concept of "mansplaining".

So, we need to rename "man" as something else. "help" works fine.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 05:26:38 pm by Reelya »

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 21, 2014, 05:27:27 pm »

I'm not the first to point this out, but Unix's repository of all truth are the "man" pages. Very similar to the feminist concept of "mansplaining", which I've come to realize means any time a man opens his mouth in anything except 100% agreement with a woman.

But "man" is an abbreviation of manual, from the latin word manus meaning hand. And manus is feminine!
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 21, 2014, 05:31:19 pm »

I'm not the first to point this out, but Unix's repository of all truth are the "man" pages. Very similar to the feminist concept of "mansplaining", which I've come to realize means any time a man opens his mouth in anything except 100% agreement with a woman (in terms of how it's used, not the definition sense).

"help" begins with "Hel", which is a negative mythologization stereotype of the female as a force for death and loss.

(I've seen much worse argued from a feminist standpoint - you can use feminism to find an excuse to complain about everything ... uh ... yeah.)

I'm not the first to point this out, but Unix's repository of all truth are the "man" pages. Very similar to the feminist concept of "mansplaining", which I've come to realize means any time a man opens his mouth in anything except 100% agreement with a woman.

But "man" is an abbreviation of manual, from the latin word manus meaning hand. And manus is feminine!
Feminists don't care about reality or history. If it seems offensive to anyone, you must "build consensus" by changing it.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 21, 2014, 05:37:47 pm »

Yeah, i was thinking the same, Leo, on relation to the "Rule of Thumb" debate. Read this:

http://www.icadvinc.org/what-is-domestic-violence/history-of-battered-womens-movement/

753 B.C.    During the reign of Romulus in Rome, wife beating is accepted and condoned under The Laws of Chastisement. Under these laws, the husband has absolute rights to physically discipline his wife. Since by law, a husband is held liable for crimes committed by his wife, this law was designed to protect the husband from harm caused by the wife’s actions. These laws permit the husband to beat his wife with a rod or switch as long as its circumference is no greater than the girth of the base of the man’s right thumb, hence “The Rule of Thumb.” The tradition of these laws is perpetuated in English Common Law and throughout most of Europe.

Yeah, Emperor Romulus of Rome. Real "historical".

Also, There was no link in history recorded between "rule of thumb" and wife-beating until a feminist author in the late 1970's.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #109 on: January 21, 2014, 05:38:12 pm »

Okay, can we stop using the blanket term "Feminists"? Hell, I consider myself a feminist. "Feminism is a collection of movements and ideologies aimed at defining, establishing, and defending equal political, economic, and social rights for women". Really nowadays outside of the radical movements it's as much about both genders, the female-lead ideas mostly being we still live in a society that has some deep misogynistic undercurrents. Undercurrents that I believe hurt both genders (I can go on a long rant about how we need to destroy and abandon notions of masculinity and femininity for example).

It's like saying "Christians are well known for burning people on stakes" or "LGBT rights activists push for  people to do recreational drugs". Sure, it may have been/be a thing some do, but they aren't speaking for a whole movement. Just add the word "Some" in there at least...
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 05:44:50 pm by MorleyDev »

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 21, 2014, 05:39:04 pm »

Feminism nowadays is punctuated by silly purism. It's like if the Civil rights movement decided to start decrying every instance of 'white oppression' in literature and science, instead supposing there should be a 'properly tolerant to us' methodology for everything. That's intolerance at it's basest level.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #111 on: January 21, 2014, 05:48:48 pm »

On the other hand, if you think something is bullshit and contributing to attitudes like "Bitch make me a sandwich!" and "She was asking for it!", or "He's not a real man, I proved it by beating him senseless." you have a moral obligation to call bullshit. If enough people call bullshit, society advances :)

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 21, 2014, 05:49:17 pm »

A song on TED.

@Morley: I wonder if it should be "some" or perhaps "many" or "most"? "Some" is not always accurate.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #113 on: January 21, 2014, 05:52:35 pm »

Perhaps "some of the loudest". It's a sad fact of any collection of people, the people who tend to think the least about what they say and have the most disagreeable opinions are some of the loudest. I can point towards plenty of "feminist" blogs (as well as sexuality rights and human rights) that are perfectly reasonable. But they don't get passed around outside of their respective circles, they don't get 8-page forum posts about them.

It's a fact of life: The sane and reasonable simply don't get as much attention.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 05:54:21 pm by MorleyDev »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 21, 2014, 05:54:32 pm »

@MorleyDev: That's why a lot of my posts say "postmodern feminism". It's postmodernism that's the real intellectual cancer, but it gets attached to real causes because that provides moral superiority that pure postmodern bullshittery lacks.

Postmodern relativism believes that all truth is relative. e.g. 2+2=4 is only true because mathematicians say so. I've heard people at my Uni say this to my face.

2+2 could equal 4.3 in an "alternate number system" that's "equally valid", according to the guy I talked to.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 05:58:55 pm by Reelya »

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 21, 2014, 05:57:13 pm »

A song on TED.
Hehe, I like it.

How dare those feminists say horrible things aren't funny.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 21, 2014, 06:01:52 pm »

It's sad the 'some' 'most' 'those are only the loudest' etc semantics come about when its something agreed with by the party.

Bottom line: If a non-ignorable part of your movement finds it in their philosophy to completely reject science and math methodologies because they were made by the 'wrong people' who are assumed to be inherently misogynistic due to not being a part of the club.. That's no different than "Science for Jesus" nutjobs, and we are allowed to call the 'movement' out on it.

Postmodernism is a joke. Feminism is not.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 21, 2014, 06:02:35 pm »

@MorleyDev: That's why a lot of my posts say "postmodern feminism". It's postmodernism that's the real intellectual cancer, but it gets attached to real causes because that provides moral superiority that pure postmodern bullshittery lacks.

Postmodern relativism believes that all truth is relative. e.g. 2+2=4 is only true because mathematicians say so. I've heard people at my Uni say this to my face.

2+2 could equal 4.3 in an "alternate number system" that's "equally valid", according to the guy I talked to.
It's partly scary because despite their failures these people might find themselves in a position to have some effect on the world around them. It's partly relieving because these people probably won't survive by their wits alone.

EDIT: I'm a postlunchist. I believe that the most effective intellectual discourse occurs immediately following a lunch, and that the quality of the lunch affects the quality of the discourse and its importance in relation to all fields of study. Prelunchists are early-rising fools, and postprandialists clearly overindulge in postprandial port.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 06:07:45 pm by LeoLeonardoIII »
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 21, 2014, 06:15:15 pm »

EDIT: I'm a postlunchist. I believe that the most effective intellectual discourse occurs immediately following a lunch, and that the quality of the lunch affects the quality of the discourse and its importance in relation to all fields of study. Prelunchists are early-rising fools, and postprandialists clearly overindulge in postprandial port.

http://www.elsewhere.org/pomo/
 :D

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 21, 2014, 06:17:10 pm »

From the comments: "A feminist programming language is a language that respects the agency of objects, acting upon them only upon mutual consent."
I'd just like to pop in to say that this absolutely made my day.

And as long as I'm here: I don't know about "equally valid," but this should be technically true via semantics. I'd be curious to see someone who insists it's true otherwise try to actually construct and use such a system, or else explain how they know it's possible.

In fact, I should probably just go read up on it sometime.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 20