Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 20

Author Topic: Postmodernism vs Bay12 - Deathmatch 2014. aka feminist programming languages  (Read 28854 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Towards feminist programming languages
« Reply #225 on: February 02, 2014, 07:42:52 pm »

What the heck do computer programing and Feminism have to do with each other?
Look, there are very few women in programming, so instead of looking at the social stigma attached to being a programmer or accept the possibility that maybe women just don't want to get into the industry, we are going to blame the programming languages!  The only solution is to design a language around political ideals, regardless of effectiveness or coherency.

Kind of redefines the term 'Feminist logic', doesn't it.  :P

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: February 02, 2014, 07:43:09 pm »

Don't you know that in ancient times computer programmers spearheaded the Patriarchal movement? The lingering tendrils of male logic remain within our electronics to this day.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: February 03, 2014, 12:38:52 am »

Can anybody put into layman's terms just what the hell this woman is trying to do? I'm just a beginner in C++ and have no experience in any kind of psychology, but all I'm getting from this is that this lady wants "something new". No word on what that "something new" is or how it's going to improve the state of computer science or programming in general.

Is there any actual development going towards this project? Because if this is more than just academics and Live Journaling, I would love to see this lady's design documentation.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: February 03, 2014, 12:49:01 am »

Look, there are very few women in programming, so instead of looking at the social stigma attached to being a programmer or accept the possibility that maybe women just don't want to get into the industry, we are going to blame the programming languages!  The only solution is to design a language around political ideals, regardless of effectiveness or coherency.

Kind of redefines the term 'Feminist logic', doesn't it.  :P
Don't you know that in ancient times computer programmers spearheaded the Patriarchal movement? The lingering tendrils of male logic remain within our electronics to this day.
Could you cut out with the 'jokes' if these are jokes? Because some of us are pretty serious in wondering what the heck the details in the OP are wondering about.

I'm grumpy today. Excuse my seemingly aggressive post. I do not intend any malice but I really don't like substituting jokes for answers...without any context.
It ain't funny.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: February 03, 2014, 12:52:52 am »

Ok, in all seriousness most of the stuff that is mentioned in the link is somewhat non-coherent. It pretty much is a joke in and of itself, even if it didn't mean to be. Most of it just isn't logically consistent, at least not as far as computers go.

If you want to know what the heck she is talking about, the answer is; not much.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: February 03, 2014, 12:55:41 am »

Thanks. T_T

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: February 03, 2014, 01:31:03 am »

The real answer is: it's about "relativism". Cultural relativism, not Einsteinian. Post-modern scholars teach their students that everything is a cultural artifact and all truth is relative. Mostly, this lot keep to their own field and write wonderfully onanistic essays like "Posthuman Performativity: Transgressing The Boundaries" that normal people can't process, and honestly i'm 99.99% sure, neither can their professed followers. But no-one admits to it, like the Emperor's New Clothes.

But ... every so often one of these fringe loonies from the more pointless sub-fields of the Humanities gets it into their head that they can cruise over to some established STEM field, wave a magic wand and quickly rewrite all the science textbooks because their lecturers have assured them that science is just a house of cards ready to fall over to their amazing social deconstruction.

Actually here's Richard Dawkins giving a speech on the very topic of this thread:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHiqXxoRFro

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: February 03, 2014, 05:46:26 am »

When all you have is a Liberal Arts degree everything looks like a social construct, I guess.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #233 on: February 03, 2014, 05:46:37 am »

Look at the comments... so toxic xD

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 03, 2014, 06:09:22 am »

When all you have is a Liberal Arts degree everything looks like a social construct, I guess.
Seriously considering putting this quote in my sig...

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 03, 2014, 01:23:30 pm »

"All Liberal Arts are the same shitty thing, and must bow before the great STEM overlords forever!"
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: February 03, 2014, 01:32:50 pm »

Everything is the same shitty thing depending on how far you zoom in or out.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 03, 2014, 01:59:42 pm »

"All Liberal Arts are the same shitty thing, and must bow before the great STEM overlords forever!"
Naah, STE people should bow down to their M overlords, and we'll just meet the other guys at the pub later on.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: February 03, 2014, 02:00:35 pm »

Naah, STE people should bow down to their M overlords, and we'll just meet the other guys at the pub later on.
Pff, like you can do anything useful with M. T is what gets you results.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: February 03, 2014, 02:08:27 pm »

Pff, like you can do anything useful with M. T is what gets you results.
Pfft - T and E can build some nice machines and suchlike, and S is taking a glimpse under the veil to watch God at work - but M's in his toolbox, having a field day!
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 20