Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 20

Author Topic: Postmodernism vs Bay12 - Deathmatch 2014. aka feminist programming languages  (Read 28861 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Towards feminist programming languages
« Reply #180 on: January 22, 2014, 05:37:25 pm »

Or they just fire your ass in the first week that you try that shit...

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 22, 2014, 05:37:39 pm »

Ease into it :P

Actually, should I have put one of those in there? Here, have a couple, one for that post up there and one for later just in case you think I need it:

:P :P

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 22, 2014, 05:45:47 pm »

Ahh, a fellow programming sadist.

Hello. :)

(This is a joke btw.)

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 22, 2014, 06:59:37 pm »

Writing code like that is how you keep a job.
That sir, is a evil evil thing.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 22, 2014, 07:29:30 pm »

You can't have a 3rd option, and still use a boolean.

True, false, and null.  Which would be... kinda appropriate, provided your table design allows it.
Actually that is very language specific. Nullable booleans are a feature of more higher level languages typical these days, but there was a point in the past where they didn't real. Your boolean is actually a pointer to a boolean, and that boolean may only be true of false, but the pointer may be null.

Actually, I was referring specifically to the database concept, since a database entry is essentially a pointer.  In any version of SQL going back to at least the early 90s, you could define a boolean field as nullable which still allocates memory for the value, but just doesn't store anything there except the null itself.  A boolean might be a single byte in programming terms, but for any data storage system that's existed since the days of physical switches a boolean consists of both the byte and the address.

Just for clarity of course.

And I looked into my job's database today.  Turns out we store gender on multiple tables, in some cases as a male/female boolean, in others as a single character, in others as a six-character string.  If there is one programming sin greater than poor extensibility, it's inconsistent standards.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 22, 2014, 08:48:38 pm »

Actually, I was referring specifically to the database concept, since a database entry is essentially a pointer.  In any version of SQL going back to at least the early 90s, you could define a boolean field as nullable which still allocates memory for the value, but just doesn't store anything there except the null itself.  A boolean might be a single byte in programming terms, but for any data storage system that's existed since the days of physical switches a boolean consists of both the byte and the address.

Just for clarity of course.
Well if we are talking about our database then ok, different paradigm, different rules. GOD DARN RELATIONAL LOGIC!

And I looked into my job's database today.  Turns out we store gender on multiple tables, in some cases as a male/female boolean, in others as a single character, in others as a six-character string.  If there is one programming sin greater than poor extensibility, it's inconsistent standards.
Excuse me while I throw up all over the everything.
Good god man, I don't even know how! I just don't know how...

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 23, 2014, 09:30:33 am »

I want to see this idea applied to science, particularly chemistry.

How dare you say that ions can only form ionic bonds of they have equally opposite charges?!?!? Ions should be able to bond even if they are both positive!

It would not surprise me to learn of some feminist claiming that Mary Curie's experiments were the only real science because it was the only science done by a woman. She's not even close to the only female scientist, but she's the only one a feminist would probably think of.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 23, 2014, 10:04:05 am »

So I skipped from the OP.

'Feminist' programming language?
Erh?
I...don't understand this, to be honest. Either the adjective or..the relevance to the programming language. Terminology?

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 23, 2014, 10:10:09 am »

It's just that people are catching on to the fact that there's lots of folks out there who'll swallow any old BS if you slap the word feminist in front of it. Can't wait for Starbucks to start advertising feminist mocaccinos.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 23, 2014, 10:19:07 am »

...That doesn't help explain this at all. >_>

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 23, 2014, 10:21:12 am »

That might be because it *doesn't* make any sense.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 23, 2014, 10:25:42 am »

Well, there's got to be a reaosn why someone would put 'feminism' > programming languages. I..am really unsure on how women's rights relates to programming languages, or the usual characteristics attributed to the, in a language to..erh. I really don't get it.

What's with the abstractions in the language?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 23, 2014, 10:34:21 am »

It would not surprise me to learn of some feminist claiming that Mary Curie's experiments were the only real science because it was the only science done by a woman. She's not even close to the only female scientist, but she's the only one a feminist would probably think of.
... actually, when it comes up in regard to the harder sciences it's usually to point out where/how gender bias has royally fucked up the scientific process. At least that's how I've seen feminist scientific critiques tend to play out. Which is something has happened quite a few times. Actually had a teacher that had worked with Elisabeth Lloyd a little, during his graduate studies, on "The Case of the Female Orgasm", which was more or less about exactly that (bias infecting the scientific process) in relation to evolutionary science.

Which... yeah. Bias causes problems in science, gender bias or otherwise. Amazing, right?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 23, 2014, 10:50:55 am »

Which... yeah. Bias causes problems in science, gender bias or otherwise. Amazing, right?

I am thoroughly shocked by this conclusion. THIS CANNOT BE!
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 23, 2014, 11:20:29 am »

What makes a programming language patriarchal? Like up until now I thought feminism was just, like, I don't know, supposed to be about equalizing genders and getting rid of the patriarchy in modern society, but I've skimmed through most of what she's saying and I can't find any examples of why a feminist programming language would be necessary to equalize genders in computer science.
Let me describe feminism as I understand it.
1. Most feminists do not hate men. The truth is we live in a male dominated society (patriarchy) and while women do a have a few privileges that men don't, men have far more of a leg up in the world.
2. Most feminists don't want women to have any more rights than men do.
3. Feminism is about creating a more gender-equal society by mainly focusing on women's rights.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 20