Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: I can't wait untill Toady impliments  (Read 6783 times)

tilly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I can't wait untill Toady impliments
« on: January 19, 2014, 08:25:35 pm »

Creatures that can destroy walls. I donno about you but, siege weapons like balista's and catapults would make an excellent addition to the game as well as creatures that destroy walls. It adds a certain epicness to the game that for anyone playing succession adventures or reclaims would find ruins in interesting states. Cant wait.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I can't wait untill Toady impliments
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 08:28:57 pm »

This is more like a suggestion. A very popular, often requested suggestion, which I too wish will get implemented someday.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Bo-Rufus CMVII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 10:06:41 pm »

Supposed to be provided by dfhack r4: https://github.com/peterix/dfhack/blob/master/NEWS

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 01:05:27 pm »

Wait, we already hav-- Oh, he means enemy siege weapons. That'll be fun, but I'm more interested in the subtext to it. Enemy siege weapons would have to be mobile vehicles to arrive on-site, unless the invading force is capable of and intends to construct them within the perimeter.
Static enemy constructions that take time to become operation before they demolish everything would add a neat twist to siege defense strategy, but the prospect of moving vehicles has... Potential.

As for wall destruction in general, I intend to make a Kool-Aid Man megabeast whenever [BUILDINGDESTROYER:3] becomes a valid creature token. All I need is a way for it to shout 'OH YEAH!!' in fort mode as it bursts through the outer walls.
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 01:16:58 pm »

Suddenly every fort is nothing more than a hatch randomly located in the wilderness somewhere.

Trader one: "Dude, dwarves?  Here?  There's nothing but unbroken grassland!"
Trader two (poking around with a wooden stick): "Trust me, they're here... just gotta find the... " *THUNK* "...door!"

Trader two lifts an old weathered hatch up and a set of stairs is seen.

Trader one: "What the hellll...?"

Delioth

• Bay Watcher
  • Mass Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 01:28:15 pm »

Suddenly every fort is nothing more than a hatch randomly located in the wilderness somewhere.

Trader two (poking around with a wooden stick): "Trust me, they're here... just gotta find the... " *THUNK* "...door!"

Nah, this couldn't be! Building destroyers can break down hatches from above... You need to construct the whole thing as a floating fortress, with a single UPWARD hatch to get in. (They can't affect tiles on different z-levels)

You also have to remove gravity for this to work...

Or just use (2+ tile wide) Lava moats.. 2 tiles to avoid jumpers.. lava to avoid those pesky amphibious mounts. Make sure to have Adamantine minecarts skimming across the surface at supersonic velocity as well... and make sure they are the modded minecarts with a slashing attack.
Help us write a story!
We're currently setting the scene and world- characters, civilizations, flora/fauna, cities, places, anything setting!
Products of my Boredom (Old)
Quote from: Shawtay
Delioth, you sir, are a wonderful, wonderful person.
When in doubt, Apply Magma

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 01:36:08 pm »

That's what mine look like half the time already. Well, and there's a 9x9 square of constructed floor over my "above ground" farm plots, and the hatch is a retracting bridge... but yeah, basically.

Laborfords landed on fire clay, though, so I made a wall this time.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 01:37:09 pm »

Wait, we already hav-- Oh, he means enemy siege weapons. That'll be fun, but I'm more interested in the subtext to it. Enemy siege weapons would have to be mobile vehicles to arrive on-site, unless the invading force is capable of and intends to construct them within the perimeter.
Static enemy constructions that take time to become operation before they demolish everything would add a neat twist to siege defense strategy, but the prospect of moving vehicles has... Potential.

As for wall destruction in general, I intend to make a Kool-Aid Man megabeast whenever [BUILDINGDESTROYER:3] becomes a valid creature token. All I need is a way for it to shout 'OH YEAH!!' in fort mode as it bursts through the outer walls.
Doesn't Masterwork include battle cries? You might be able to do something with that.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 01:44:06 pm »

Nah, this couldn't be! Building destroyers can break down hatches from above... You need to construct the whole thing as a floating fortress, with a single UPWARD hatch to get in. (They can't affect tiles on different z-levels)

You also have to remove gravity for this to work...

Not necessarily...

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 01:48:02 pm »

The only problem I can see with walldestroyer AI is if the creature decides to use it like an asshole instead of how it should be used. Like an asshole, they'd just smash every wall on the map as if it was all so much doors and furniture, making as much work for you as physically possible when you have to rebuild the entire god damn perimeter.
What they SHOULD do is use their ability to emulate everyone's favorite liquid-refreshment filled glass battering ram judiciously. I mean to say, they should only use their wall-busting power as a means to an end, only creating an opening for themselves into the fort and then proceeding to break the dwarves what built the walls rather than the walls themselves.
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2014, 01:53:55 pm »

Maybe have them use it sort of like a restricted traffic designation?

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2014, 02:07:56 pm »

I was thinking of having a cooldown on the wall-destruction, but that's not exclusive from some kind of invader traffic. A cooldown would encourage thicker walls, give defenders more time to deal with the threat before the defenses are breached, and keeps a single wallbreaker from becoming a living wrecking ball. Multiple wallbreakers would still be a nightmare.

Koremu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2014, 02:59:15 pm »

I'd have to come up with some way of building walls with pockets of water and magma sealed within them, so that in the event of a wall breach the destroyed wall segment would be instantly recreated in Obsidian.

And because, you know, Magma.
It's a dwarf.  Their natural habitat is "trapped on the wrong side of a wall".

Flinging children halfway across the map to land in magma is good, wholesome fun, but extramarital reproduction?  Why, that's just unseemly!

chevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2014, 03:03:26 pm »

I don't think a cooldown suits very well to DF. But the wall destruction should be slow on stronger materials. A wooden fence should not be very effective against huge brutes but a massive stone or steel wall should give you enough time to prepare traps, troops and magma.

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2014, 03:20:10 pm »

I'd have to come up with some way of building walls with pockets of water and magma sealed within them, so that in the event of a wall breach the destroyed wall segment would be instantly recreated in Obsidian.

And because, you know, Magma.

2 walls with one tile thick hollow in between. Pump magma between walls, build floor and carve fortifications on top. Wallbreaker gets magma bath when it does its thing. Water optional.

I don't think a cooldown suits very well to DF. But the wall destruction should be slow on stronger materials. A wooden fence should not be very effective against huge brutes but a massive stone or steel wall should give you enough time to prepare traps, troops and magma.

If destroying a wall would take about as long as it does for a dabbling mason to deconstruct it, I suppose a cooldown would just make it frustrating for the destroyer.

"Okay, finally busted down this wall, time for the one right behind it."
*Cooldown in progress, 20 minutes remaining*
" ...What do you mean 20 minutes!?"
*20 minutes later, wall is destroyed, another wall behind that one*
"OH COME ON."

I just have a habit of making my fort almost entirely out of constructed walls, and don't want one of these things acting like a bull in a china shop when there are still perfectly healthy dwarves to murder. That's all.
Pages: [1] 2 3